15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 11:30 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0

Anthony Abegglen Level 1

Hope somebody could get me some advice as my old Quad core setup is a bit long in the tooth and not coping with CS6  and need a interim solution for which  am updating my Asus Z68 Maxmus IV Gene-z  gaming pc with a 3770K i7  and also adding a OCZ Vertex4 120gig,  I want to add 6x 1TB HDD  and raid then 0 ,for the cache, preveiw, etc ,      but only problem now I found is, I have 2 Sata 6gig ports and 4x Sata 3gig ports , which leaves me pretty much without 2x extra Sata 3gig ports. I have some Sata and  E sata on the back of the broad.  I am only diong a small upgrade this year as next year I want to a big upgrade to X79 and the new 3970K CPU.

I do not want to buy Raid cards for now .  Lastly I edit with 2 different editing packages , for GV Edius Pro 6.07 it would work fine  and Adobe CS5 and CS6 which  needs more and different for its requierments.

Could anybody give me advice how to setup this  up with my current motherbroad.

Thank you

Gavin

• 1. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
          terri's fav Level 1
          • SATAIII: OCZ Vertex4, OS & programs
          • SATAIII: 1 TB, Exports
          • SATAII: 1 TB
          • eSATA: 1 TB
          • eSATA:

Put the first two internal SATAII 1 TB disks in raid0 for pagefile, media cache and previews.

Put the last two internal SATAII 1 TB disks in raid0 for media and projects.

Use one eSATA disk for backup of media and projects.

• 2. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

SSD for OS (120G is too small for pagefile) i would do 256G and you dont want OCZ..  Intel, Crucial, Samsung

4x Sata in raid 0 Media

2x raid 0 export  NO OTHER drive assignments are ever needed...

(ideally these raids would be balanced (as in equal number of drives)

plus you need ext back up..

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              1. We do not know what you have in your z68 motherboard as far as a CPU but when I got my i7--3770K and put it in my Gigabyte Z68 motherboard I was terribly disappointed, I got better overclocked results with my i7-2600k over the i7-3770K
              2. Your proposed SSD will not improve your Premiere performance.
              3. How much memory do you have?
              4. What GPU do you have?
              • 4. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                Anthony Abegglen Level 1

Thank you Terri and Scott for help I will work from your advice.

Scott I have already bought the OCZ 120gig  I will be doing a big upgrade next year so this is just a stop gap PC , So for now I am stuck with it the 120gig FOR the OS and Program drive.

1.Bill my current CPU on this Z68 MB is a i5 2500 which I will replace with the i7 3770K.

2. If it helps a little I am happy , Premiere is not my main NLE program and use Edius  which response very well to SSD.

3 I have 16gig 1600 DDR3

4 GPU is a Nvida GTX 560TI

My current Quad core is on the old side , it still has only 12 gigs 1333 ,gpu Nvida 460se all drives are non raid , CS5 works fine on it but CS6 is a another story, Edius runs better than both , so for now I need to boost my system a bit higher, for Adobe to run abit smoother. I am not saying Adobe is bad or that Edius is better.

Thank for the help so far

• 5. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

Edius is not helped by an SSD OS either.. all an SSD os does is make windows a bit snappier regadless of software.

• 6. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

True, but having a SSD allows me to open Photoshop or After Effects quickly while I am editing.  And when I turn on the PC, it is ready for me in just under a minute.

• 7. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                      Anthony Abegglen Level 1

Thanks Scott,

that has cleard up some info on SSD, so it will only help only with loading  programs , having SSD drive will not help switching between programs ,more multi tasking , is there any effect on loading ,projects ? 

Steven It is so nice to see you back up and running , I use to enjoy giong to your web site as it had so much info and a valued resource when I used APPro2 , hope you will have it up and running like it was again .

Thanks so far to all that have help

Gavin

• 8. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Gavin,

Thanks. I am working on the site a little at a time. It has a long way to go. It is so funny to see some of the things we used to have to do. Like post tiny little postage stamp sized videos due to bandwidth restrictions. When I started the site people where still using dial-up modems, and storage online was limited. YouTube and Vimeo make life so much easier. I had an article on how to use more of your 4GB of RAM. Ha! I now use almost all of my 32G every day. But the example of how to use a track matte and nested sequences to deal with motion is still valid. The Tim Kolb font Styles for titles are still useful.

There is no help from a SSD with loading projects. Unless you have a second one to put your projects on. I have a second SSD because I was planning on using it for an emergency backup/restoral boot drive. ADK installed it for me and backed up the operating system. I keep it offline. I think that it will not be long before I decide to put my media on it, one project at a time. It will probably be faster than the RAID0 I have it on now. Or maybe use it for exports. I have to figure out if I have a bottleneck somewhere first.  If not, I will leave well enough alone. Maybe just use it for RED footage if I get any more.

By the way, since I keep my paging file on my RAID0, I am only using 75G of my 240G SSD. I have every Adobe product that comes with the Creative Cow installed, and I have the Micrsoft Office installed. In other words, I could have saved money buying a smaller boot drive. I was warned, but I don't remember why I ignored the warning.

• 9. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                          Scott Chichelli Level 3

Yeah we sure have come a long way in the last 10 yrs, shoot even in the last 3 (4 gig to 64gig)

Scott

ADK

• 10. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                            Anthony Abegglen Level 1

Hi Steven When I get time Ii will send you some links for free plugins etc  that I found that you can add to you web site resource which are free and every useable for CS5 to CS6. It seems it is a never ending trap we fall into, DV and dvds were simple and files were small , now we end with mass of data and what happens it all ends back to DVD in most case   . .

The only reason I got the SSD was a very cheap price under $100  from a freind in Hong Kong ,but yip I could have got a 2TB  for about the same price , but was fooled into beleiving that SSD was the anwser. So you leaner.

Thanks

Gavin

• 11. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Absolutely share the plug-in information.

We started with 5.25" floppy disks (yes I remember the really big floppy disks but we are talking for the PC here. I started with Hollerith cards and tape.) Then we went to 3.5" disks that were not very floppy because of the hard shell case. We saved to small hard drives, then larger and larger drives. We distributed on data CDs, then DVDs, and quite often we use thumb drives. We sent files using YouSendIt.com and we set up FTP sites.

While distributing the final product is often still done on physical media, it is so easy to just post a high definition video on YouTube or Vimeo, keep it private, and let the customer see it that way. This only works for customers smart enough to understand that the final product will be a higher quality, but still. How great is that? And if you are producing video for the web, the end result is the same as the samples, dailies, whatever.

What a great time to be alive!

Before I dropped off of the forums, we were all waiting to see if that crazy guy who thought up the RED camera would succeed. Ha! Did he ever! And now I can download RED footage, play around with it, and easily edit it in Premiere Pro! Yikes! This is GREAT!

• 12. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steven, at work the first single user computer that I specified had 8" floppy disk drives!  And actually before that it was punched paper tape.  Does that date me also?

• 13. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

Man you are OLD… (I know how old Bill is)

So whilst this youngster cant beat you I can maybe tie you.. I remember after spending days err weeks actually I think months, writing a program in school

That was to be a big part of my grade. After finishing it I dropped the punch cards (a massive stack) all over the floor…

Ever had to try to sort those?

• 14. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                                    Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And after standing in line two hours for the card reader to be available, the system crashes because the registrar has just put through a higher priority stack of cards.

So you leave your cards in a bin and hope the attendants whose job it will be to put your cards in the reader won't drop them.

...and 24 hour turn around time for a project due the next morning.

• 15. Re: Need a solution/ advise to my setup  SSD and Raid0
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

As I recall, we had enough card readers. When I finished a program, I would put it in the reader, which would print out the information on each card on a single line. I would read the program that way and then wrap the paper around the cards, and put rubberbands around the whole thing before it went in the bin.

No problem for me if they dropped. I remember being able to hold the card up and read it as easily as if it were in english just by looking at the punches. Good thing too, because there was seldom enough ink in the keypunch machine.