3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2012 10:13 AM by Nancy O. RSS

nine <br> in live code, not visible in code, can't delete in 'inspect' mode where visible

WanderingWildcat

hi

my website consistently displays a large gap with nine <br> only visible when i go into "inspect" mode

i have tried all i can think of to get rid of them including cutting and pasting the whole page into a fresh template, but the gap comes along for the ride.  Everything is aligned to the 'top' and this same problem has not occured on any other pages which are set up to the same template.

very very frustrating - any suggestions would be most greatfully recieved,

page of website

http://www.lochnessgarden.com/catalogue/offers/Autumn%20Supp%202012.htm

with big green gap at the top

Cheers Cat

• 1. Re: nine <br> in live code, not visible in code, can't delete in 'inspect' mode where visible
          Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Well, for starters you don't have a valid document type on any of your pages.  That's worrisome because it makes your pages render in Quirks Mode which is confusing to browsers.  Open your template.  Modify > Page properties > Title/encoding and choose a DTD that matches your coding skills.  I recommend HTML 4.0 (transitional).  Apply.  Save Template and update pages.

I do see 9 <br> tags on line 50 of your source code.  They are inside an editable region so you won't find them in your Template. 

Use Ctrl+F (Find) to search the current document's source code for <br>.  Hit the Find All button.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: nine <br> in live code, not visible in code, can't delete in 'inspect' mode where visible
            WanderingWildcat Community Member

Thank you Nancy - I have made the changes you suggested, I have no doubt my code is riddled with errors, it has been a 'learn as i go' process with a steep learning curve

I could not see the 9 <br> on the source code on line 50 and within dreamweaver the only time they come up with a search is within the inspect mode

line 121

<td width="932" colspan="3" align="center" valign="top" bordercolor="#DEC49C" bgcolor="#7C926D"><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><table width="100%" border="0" summary=" Autumn Supplement 2012 - Abriachan Nurseries">

but i cannot find any way to delete them as they seem to dissapear as soon as i go back out of live/inspect mode

any further help would be much appreciated, thank you for your time Cat

• 3. Re: nine <br> in live code, not visible in code, can't delete in 'inspect' mode where visible
              Nancy O. CommunityMVP

The only thing that would inject junk into your page is:

1) pasting formatted text from MS Office into your HTML. 

2) inserting a bad Library Item.

3) inserting a server-side include.

I suspect #1 is your culprit.  Open your child page inside a plain text editor such as NotePad, NoteTab or Text Edit.  You should be able to see the junk code and remove it. Save.  Go back to using DW.

In the future, don't paste formatted text from MS Office directly into your HTML pages.  Use Edit > Paste Special > Plain text.

Nancy O.