22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2012 12:05 AM by Gerben Wierda

Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

Gerben Wierda Level 1

I hae succesfully set up my InDesign document and have edited the first chapter (that I originally wrote in another app, so I had to copy it over and redo all the images and stuff).

Now, I have created a text extraction of that other document for the rest of the text and put it in a .txt file. When I drop that file at the end of my last page, I expect InDesign to automatically add all the pages so all the stuff (100 pages or so) becomes visible. But that does not happen. It ends up in the single two-column text frame and I get the 'there is more than fits on the page' indicator. For the first chapter, doing this by hand was not a big deal, but doing that for a 100 pages is not  nice and should also not be necessary.

But what am I doing wrong? I've seen the examples and somehow I'm still doing something wrong. Is there a failsafe recipe?

• 1. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hold the Shift key when you click to place the text file and it will flow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
            Gerben Wierda Level 1

Perfect. Thank you.

This works but there is one snag: all of this text is set in slanted in a blue color for some reason (which is not my basic paragraph). Any idea what triggers this? Is there a way I can set this to 'basic paragraph' style?

• 3. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

Did you have a character style selected before you placed the file, or perhaps that's the current font setting?

• 4. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                Gerben Wierda Level 1

Neither. But while looking around I noticed there is something like a 'layer color' which suspciously looks like the color the text is set in. I saw this when looking at text frame options and it told me there was a color set which was a (layer color). I haven't done anything consciously with layers, but I might have accidentally.

My caption for a view starts with a label in blue characters followed by italics text. The pasted text shows up like blue utalics, as if both the font color and th efont style have become part of the 'layer'.

When I look at layers, I see

Layer 1

<some text>

The figure object, which expanded shows

The PDF that is the image in the figure

Addition: when I click the imported text the paragraph style is Basic Paragraph+ and I can get rd of blue/slanted by removing a character-style override. No idea how that got there, though

• 5. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                  Gerben Wierda Level 1

Additionally, I found a bit out more:

- When I am in my main text frame, I get the behavior mentioned. But when I have not selected anything, use Cmd-D, and select the text file, drop the text on the main frame, all my paragraphs become "caption style paragraphs".

- I have a single figure with caption on this page, it seems to lie behind the main text frame. I can't select it without m oving the main text frame first. It looks to me the style of the end of that frame is used for the insert in some way.

• 6. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                    Gerben Wierda Level 1

Got it! I had to select the text frame in the layers panel. Then it was added in that text frame also using that text frame. I also reordered it to whast it was, with the text frame being the last object, but I think that was not the problem.

Addition. Nope: I celebrated early. What happend was the creation of a new text frame. I've still got the problem when trying to paste in in the main text frame.

• 7. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

With nothing selected, take a look at what is set in both the character styles and paragraph styles panels, along with waht attributes are set inthe character panel. That's what new text is set to look like.

• 8. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                        Gerben Wierda Level 1

Paragraph style Basic Paragraph. Character Style "View Caption Number". Setting this to None solves it.

What is very strange is that "View Caption Number" is a character style that is regular with a color (for the "View #:" part of the caption. But the imported text had that color and was slanted. No idea where that slanted comes from.

It has been imported correctly now, but there is a new problem. When I am inside the text frame where I want to add the text and I do Cmd-d and select the file, the text ends up in the frame, but no new pages and frames are created (no text reflow). When I then click ctrl-Z to remove the text and shift-click to get text-reflow, a new text frame is created that starts slightly below where I was and this reflows over the rest of the pages. These pages have two linked column text frames per page, while my master has a single text frame and the text style inside the frame is multi-column (so I can make column spanning styles).

In other words: the shift-click import does not follow the master page layout, but follows somehow an older master page layout that was changed.

But my Master Page, though originally set up with two colums (and stll has those 'guides' visible) only has one big text frame of which the content is multi-column.

• 9. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                          Gerben Wierda Level 1

In addition: my master page (I only have one) contains a single text frame. The added pages contain 3, the one of the master, but that one is not used, and two more that do not appear on the master.

Note the single unused one is the 'primary text flow' frame on the master. Where the others come from, I have no idea.

• 10. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                            Michael Gianino Level 4

Gerben Wierda wrote:

What is very strange is that "View Caption Number" is a character style that is regular with a color (for the "View #:" part of the caption. But the imported text had that color and was slanted. No idea where that slanted comes from.

Probably a local override. If you were to click into the text, you will see a + next to the name of the paragraph style if any aspect of the text  is different from what is defined in the paragraph style. The exception to this is a character style, which will override aspects of the paragraph style, but will not show a + beside the paragraph style's name. You can, however, apply a local override that overrides the character style, which will give you the + on the paragraph style's name, but not necessarily the character style's name. That will only happen if your local override conflicts with something defined in the character style. For example, if the character style changes the black text of the paragraph style to red, a local override of yellow on top of the character style will show a + by the character style's name and the paragraph style's name. A change in font will only show the + by the paragraph style's name if the only thing that the character style changed was the color.

You probably had italic as a local override, which slanted your text. See if you have a +.

• 11. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                              Gerben Wierda Level 1

No, there was no local override. No '+' after any of the styles.

But I'm now stuck at the master page text frame trouble. I can't get it to flow from a point in a frame with reflow, and if I drop it on the page, I get a new frame and also different new frames on all the pages added. It looks like the default new page uses a setup different than my (only) master page.

• 12. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                Gerben Wierda Level 1

I was able to solve one thing: when new pages are now created, the new pages have one column. The reason was that the Layout->Margins & Columns was still set to 2 columns.

However, when I drop the file while in the text frame, text reflow does not work. When I then undo and shift-click in the text frame, a new (now poroperly one column) text frame is created. I could try to find out how to remove the one I'm in and connect the new one. But there is another problem, all the spreads created have two pages on the right and no pages on the left.

This might have to do with the fact that my Master is a single page, no spread.

• 13. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

It sounds like you are trying to place additional text from a new documetn into an existing text frame to continue after waht is already there. It would be normal for this text to go into overset unless you have Smart Text Reflow enabled, and the options chosen would allow the particualr frame to reflow. I don't like Smart text Reflow and never use it, so I can't really help you set that up.

That said, if you are adding to the existing story, the normal approach is to leave the cursor in the story where you want the new text to start (don't forget to add a paragraph break or the new text will be added to the last paragraph on the page) and place the new text with the repalce existing content box unchecked. Then use the selection tool to click on the red plus sign to pick up the overset text, move to the new page wher it should continue, and place the text from the loaded cursor, holding the shift key to autoflow. You can place the overset text into an existing empty frame, or create a new frame on the fly.

• 14. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                    Gerben Wierda Level 1

I think I must be almost there.

How do I get it to go to the existing empty frame? When I shift click, it create s new one (1 column) and one on every next page with one column. It does not use the existing text frame from the master (which is 2-column) and any added page has both frames (the single and the double column on top of each other)

• 15. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

Make sure you click inside the empty frame, away from any guides. Your cursor should change to be surrounded by parentheses when it is going to use the empty frame.

• 16. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                        Gerben Wierda Level 1

Almost, almost there, thanks to your help. I have now my text in 45 pages. It is still not entirely stable, sometimes, when I add a page, I do not get a spread with one right hand page, add another, I get a next spread wth a left hand page, add another th esecond new spread is extended with another right page etc. Still, I don't have that issue now, I have only this.

When I type at the end of my document, the left page filles up, then it flows nicely to the right page.

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 8 September 17.32.17.png

At the end of the right page when I type on, the following happens:

- a third page appears in the spread

- the text does not flow to a new page

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 8 September 17.31.11.png

What is going on here?

Type preferences are set to smart reflow, add to end of story, limit to primary text frames

• 17. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                          Gerben Wierda Level 1

Adding to the previous. I selected all pages and allowed the document pages to shuffle. Then I did the same again, adding text to the end. Now, I get a new spread with a new right(?) hand page. And I get a distorted page layout where the text frame is out of whack:

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 8 September 17.46.51.png

Then I go on add text and I get a new page (so smart reflow works now) with a normal left hand page:

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 8 September 17.49.15.png

after which everything seems normal. So, I just need to find out why I get this broken page in between.

• 18. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

The problem is in the page number assignements combined with the prohibityion on shuffling (which is necessary to maintian the number as they are).

If pages are allowed to shuffle, ID always follows convention and puts odd-numbered pages to the right of the spine for documents bound for left-to-right reading. You pve bot your even numbers on the right.

• 19. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                              Gerben Wierda Level 1

Yes, I understand it now. What was unclear to me how important page numbers for Id are. I have removed all shuffling restrictions (I picked those up as advice when starting wth Id, but they were not good avice for my project it turns out).

What I learned from all of this (a lot, but a few important snippets):

- Page numbers make Id try to position pages to the left or right of a spine

- You can prevent this from happening by not allowing documents and spreads to shuffle, but that only makes matters worse.

There is still a small thing that bothers me. In the middle of my document, I hit "Add Page". Before, it looks like this (nice):

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 8 September 22.09.44.png

I get a new pagebut the text frames of that new page and every page following it are out of whack:

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 8 September 22.05.10.png

It seems to be an effect of all the messing around I did. What could be causing this?

• 20. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work

Did you ever use the Page tool?

YOu might want to try exporting the file to .idml. see Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 21. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                                  Gerben Wierda Level 1

I have used the pages panel extensively when trying to get the document right. But is that the same as the 'Page Tool'?

I tried exporting to .idml and opening that, but the strange page that is inserted (and all that follows) survives that procedure.

The strange poistioning of the text frame (and on all pages that follow happens when I insert a page after any spread, except the last spread.

• 22. Re: Trouble getting Automatic Text Reflow to work
                                                    Gerben Wierda Level 1

I was able to solve th eproblem by doing this:

1. Create a new Master B from a correctly laid out spread (drag spread to master are in pages panel)

2. Remove the content of the primary text frames

3. Remove the graphics

4. Let it be based on None instead of Master A

5. Copy the graphics from Master A over to Master B

6. Apply Master B to all pages

7. Remove Master A

Now, if I add a page, it does not have distorted positons for the not-overridden primary text frames and all the master graphics.

Note, I did step 1 instead starting from an empty new master because that empty new master has a 3-column layout somehow.