1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 3:45 PM by JEShort01

SSD for OS/Programs/Pagefile - What size to get?

Magic81587 Level 1

Hey all,

I am in the process of upgrading my hard drive setup on my system and am planning to purchase a SSD soon.

Once purchased, I plan to go with a 3 disk setup. I see this calls for the OS, programs and pagefile to go onto the SSD. I'm trying to figure out if a 128GB SSD would be large enough for this, or if I should go with a 256GB.

Currently my computer is showing 82GB used on my C: drive. I'm pretty sure I only have OS/Programs on this drive (and I've never messed around with Windows pagefiles so I'm assuming that's on there too). I've been pretty careful to not let random files float around on my C: drive, and after some quick checking around I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. (I did however find an "appdata" folder that was ~20GBs). Is this pretty much par for the course when you have the programs on this drive? Or should this be on another drive?

With a 128GB drive, it's my understanding that after formatting, you really only have ~119GB. And is there some sort of guideline out there for keeping a SSD somewhat open for optimal performance? If it's something like "25% should be kept free" then I suddenly only have ~89GB to work with. Being at 82GB already makes me wonder if I'm cutting it too close. Especially if I decide to install more programs down the line (C4D, 3DsMax, ZBrush, etc).

Thoughts on what you all would do? Would it be ok to maybe move the pagefile to another HD (even in a 3 disk setup)? I'm not even sure how large my current pagefile is at the moment, so I don't know what that would get me. Is there even an issue filling up a SSD past 75%? If not, then I'm probably worrying over nothing.

• 1. Re: SSD for OS/Programs/Pagefile - What size to get?
          JEShort01 Level 4

128GB is a great size for a boot drive (OS, programs). if you have other drives putting the pagefile on rotating drive is probably optimal, but you could put in on the boot SSD as well. There are those who say it is a total no-no to put swap on a SSD but there are millions of laptop users with single-drive SSD systems and they seem to work just fine!

Regarding how full can a SSD get, you can fill them more than a traditional drive since they do not get fragmented.