29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 12:31 PM by RChappell1

Printing a Program Trouble

RChappell1

I'm trying to print a program in landscape using Print Booklet and can not get the printing to output correctly.

I've converted it to a postscript file and in the Print Booklet Preview it is correct (Postscript is the only setting I've found that shows the preview correctly), however when I print it out in PDF it only prints half of the program and won't print front/back correctly. I've tried changing all the print settings on my printer and can not figure it out.

I've done this before with CS3 but upon upgrading to CS6 and moving to a new computer all the print settings have been lost. Please help! 

I'm using Windows 7 and running InDesign (64-bit) CS6.  I've used InDesign for about 6 years but still consider myself a beginner.  Please bear with me asking stupid questions.

• 1. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows 7 might be 64 bit, but ID is still 32.

In any case, what are you choosing for the printer in Print Booklet? Ideally, you have Acrobat Pro and can choose the Adobe PDF virtual printer if you want a PDF (and printing to postscript file isn't going to do much good without a way to process that, or do you attempt to upload that direct to the physical printer?), or you should be choosing the actual printer where it's going.

You need to go into the print setup dialog by pressing the Print Settings button in the Print Booklet dialog. That will open what looks like an ordinary print dialog with your selected printer chosen. Go to the Setup pane of the new dialog and make sure the page size is large enough to hold the whole spread and the rotation is set to landscape. You probably also want to set the page position to centered.

Now press the Setup button in this dialog to go int the print driver settings (especailly if using the PDF printer) and verify the page size is listed correctly and the other settings are at the quality you need, and in the case of a physical printer that duplexing is on. Back out of the dilaogs by saying OK and check the preview in Print Booklet.

• 2. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
            RChappell1 Level 1

With other programs I've printed the only success I've found was with printing it to PDF.  I've tried going step by step through your instructions, and it's highly possible I've missed a vital step.  Through the Print Booklet, I'm setting my printer to PDF, then in the print settings within that I've flipped to landscape (changed to center/upper left/etc.).  Hit ok backed out and in the Print Booklet Preview it's incorrect. I've attached two photos showing the difference with landscape & portrait.  The first photo is Printer Setup for PDF: Protrait, Print Settings-Setup: Portrait & Upper Left Page Position.  The second photo: Printer Setup for PDF: Landscape, Print settings-Setup: Landscape & Centered Page Position.

The first photo is close to what I need except with page 1 & 20 on the same spread.  (In Page Setup I have Page size: letter-half )

print dialog 1.jpgprint dialog.jpg

• 3. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Are you working in letter-half landscape pages, so the spreads are 17 inches wide by 5.5 inches high? That's what your preview looks like, and you can't output that as a booklet on letter-size paper.

• 4. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                RChappell1 Level 1

Here are some screenshots of my document setup (letter-half) and printer settings for PDF (8.5x11). 

The intended program is a half-page letter (8.5x5.5) per page, so the full spread will be 8.5x11.

doc setup.jpgprint setup.jpg

• 5. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Yup, you've got it set to bind on the 5.5 edge instead of the 8.5 edge -- it's set to landsape inthe document setup shot. Not going to happen that way.

• 6. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                    RChappell1 Level 1

So essentially you're saying I need to change my orientation in the doc setup from landscape to portrait.

When I do that I get this error: (I've already told it in the Pages setup to apply Master to all pages and still get the error).

error.jpg

• 7. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

That's the third time this month that error has come up. I think maybe we're looking at a bug, but at least this time I see a sequence of steps that leads to it -- changing th page oreintation in the doc setup.

The only workaround I've found so far is to copy the stuff into a new file, but in your case I'm not sure how useful that is. You really need to start this over again with the proper page orientation, I suspect. Did you really intend for the program to be bound on the short edge and have landscape format pages? That's not impossible, but you can't print it on letter-size paper. You CAN print that shape on tabloid, if you have a tabloid printer, and can do it two-up to avoid a lot of waste, but that also requires a cutter.

• 8. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                        RChappell1 Level 1

I will start fresh and if I happen to encounter the problem again I'll check back with you.  As for the program choice, our association prints 3-4 programs a year and this one I print landscape vs the ordinary book/portrait so that it sets itself apart from the rest of the others.  In trying to be different seems to cause more problems for me though.  I would have been ahead to stick with the portrait style.  As much as I enjoy CS6, (considering I upgraded from CS3), I seem to be running into more bugs.  The 30-day expiration for Acrobat has by far been the largest headache though. 

Thank you for all your help and I'll check back if I encounter more problems when I start from scratch on the program.

• 9. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Are you printing these in house, or sending them out? How did you print the landscape programs the last time?

• 10. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                            RChappell1 Level 1

Yes I printed in house last year.  I wish I could tell you how I managed to get them to print, but I don't recall.  I know I had to make a few tweaks but ultimately got it to print.  I was using an existing file that I did not originally set up, I just printed off of it.  When I moved to my new computer the files didn't save the print settings and I can't open the document on the old computer.  My guess is because I installed AND upgraded CS3 to CS6 on the new computer and didn't deactivate the old CS3 from that computer, I'm not sure if I can just uninstall it through the control panel and it work, or if it had to be deactivated within and Adobe program?  Either way any Adobe program refuses to open on that computer.

• 11. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

You get two concurrent activations, so it's unlikely an activation problem unless you actually get a message to that effect.

Do you still have the old file, even without the print settings?

What printer do you have to print this on?

• 12. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                RChappell1 Level 1

I did not get any activation messages/errors on the old computer, when I go to programs and try to start any Adobe program (including Acrobat Reader) it locks up the entire computer and refuses to run.  This is something new with that computer, I had so many issues with it, but it doesn't surprise me.

I do still have the old file, and I'm printing to a Savin C3030.

• 13. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

It looks to me like the C3030 handles 11 x 17, so the landscape format is doable, but you have to set up Print Booklet to use the larger sheet.

The other option would be to make a using Print Booklet and choose a custom paper size of 5.5 x 17, then place that PDF twice in a new 11 x 17 file that you print and cut in half.

• 14. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                    RChappell1 Level 1

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly?  I've recreated the entire document, went through the print booklet feature and it's adding blank pages.  I don't need any extras added (I have 20 pages). When the program properly prints it should put the first and last page on the same 8.5x11 printout with the spreads to follow in the correct order after.  Last year when I printed it in landscape, I didn't have to use any special sized paper, nor did I have to make any cuts to it, and it also stapled 2 in the center for me...it printed with the first and last page on the first spread.  Can you please offer some insight as to what I could possibly be doing wrong with my print settings?  Maybe I'm not calling it the right term or describing it correctly.  I'm trying to take an 8.5x11 folded in half, print the first page on one half of that (page 20 should be on the other half), open the page, print page 2 on the inside left side, print page 3 on the inside right, etc. 

• 15. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Can you show us a screen capture of a spread, and the pages panel, together? It would help to see last year's file, too.

Maybe I'm not calling it the right term or describing it correctly.  I'm trying to take an 8.5x11 folded in half, print the first page on one half of that (page 20 should be on the other half), open the page, print page 2 on the inside left side, print page 3 on the inside right, etc. 

The only way you can put two letter-half pages on a single letter sheet is if they butt together on the 8.5" edges. That means letterhalf horizontals (landscape) will stack like a calendar, and verticals (portait) will work side to side.

• 16. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                        RChappell1 Level 1

Here are three photos to show the final product I printed last year. This was printed on regular letter 8.5x11  The first & second photo shows page 1 & 20 on the same spread.  The third is the open inside cover (page 2-3)  It was stacked like a calendar.

Program 2011 edit.jpgProgram 2011 1 edit.jpgprogram 2011 2 edit.jpg

• 17. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

OK, this is set up as letterhalf in PORTRAIT with the content rotated.

One way to do that is to set up facing pages, then select the spreads in the Pages panel and fromthe panel flyout menu choose Rotate Spread View 90 degrees clockwise (In CS6 this is a little hard to find -- it's under page attributes inthe panel menu). This will make it look like the pages are horizontal, but they'll still be touching along the long edge. Page one will be by itself, page 2 will appear above page 3 in a two page spread, and so forth.

If you rotate the spread views before adding content new frames you add will seem "correct" as you add them, rather than rotated. Working inthe control panel may be confusing, however, and x and y are now reversed (they are still relative to the true orientation of the page, but your view has rotated, so the x-axis is now vertical and the y is horizontal).

• 18. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                            RChappell1 Level 1

Yes!  Perfect, this is they way they should look.  Now how do I setup my printer to print them correctly without added the blank pages?

• 19. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Print Booklet should be working without adding any blanks. Are you sure the 20 page count includes your cover?

• 20. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                                RChappell1 Level 1

Yes, unless I have to specify that somewhere other than in the doc. setup.  Here's a screenshot of my doc. setup. and preview in print booklet.doc setup.jpgPreview.jpg

• 21. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Looks to me like you've set a range to print, rather than all pages. The screen cap says 8 spreads, that's only 16 pages, not twenty, and if ID is addin 3 blanks it thinks there are only 13.

• 22. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                                    RChappell1 Level 1

Here's the setup, I've got it set to Range: All Pages, is this the correct place to check that?  The preview still shows the blank pages with that checked.

print booklet setup.jpg

• 23. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                                      mpc999 Level 2

I think it's a problem with Print Booklet not recognizing blank pages in your layout.

Try this experiment. Create a new blank document, letter size, facing pages, 8 pages.

Place a type box on any 5 of those pages and enter some type. Leave 3 random pages blank.

Go Print Booklet and select tabloid horizontal. The Preview tab will show that 3 pages have been added -- EVEN with Print Blank Printer Spreads ticked in Setup.

Go back and put some type on those 3 blank pages. Now Print Booklet will print without auto adding pages.

You can get around this by putting a type box with one white-colored type character on the blank pages.

(I'm using InDesign CS5 on a Mac)

• 24. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

I'd change that to the All radio button, and if there are any actual blank pages included in the layout you need to clcik the Print Settings button and check the Include Blank Pages box in that dialog.

• 25. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                                          RChappell1 Level 1

This solved most of the problem!!  I had blank pages, when I added content and saved, now my spreads are out of order.  Do I need to rearrange/impose? my pages?

• 26. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Print Booklet is going to do the imposing. Your file should be set up in consecutive order the way you want readers to see the pages after the booklet is bound.

• 27. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                                              RChappell1 Level 1

It's printing correctly!!!  I had the print settings in PDF wrong, but I got that worked out.  Hopefully the final question I have with this project, how do I get my printer to staple it in the center and automatically fold it? 

• 28. Re: Printing a Program Trouble

Those are settings in the driver. Are you printing direct to the printer  from Print Booklet, or pinting to PDF (you mentioned wrong PDF settings)? If idrect fromthe printer, clcik the setup button in Print booklet to get to the Printer settings, and click the Setup button inthat dialog to get to the printer driver settings.

If you are printing to PDF, you need to set the printer options in Acrobat or Reader -- can't do it as part of the PDF.

• 29. Re: Printing a Program Trouble
                                                                  RChappell1 Level 1

I had to contact tech support for our printer, they had the wrong configuration setup on it not allowing the staple to correctly work.  I have successfully gotten the correct program!  Thank you so much for your patience and help!