7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 9:05 AM by RjL190365

Premiere Pro CS 5.5- Which is better hyper-threading or new video card?

petrtyl1

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker who has definitely appreciated, and put to good use, the knowledge in this forum.  I now have a rather specific question that I couldn't find an answer to.  My current system is as follows:

Motherboard:      Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3

Memory:            16 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600

System Drive:     128 GB Crucial M4 SSD

Storage Drives:    (4) Hitachi 2 TB 7K3000 drives in software raid 1+0

CPU:                   Sandy Bridge i5-2500K overclocked to 4.3 ghz

Video Card:          EVGA GTX 460 v2 Superclocked

I edit a wide variety of formats but primarily AVCHD.  Premiere Pro runs pretty good with the system, except when I have larger projects.  Additionaly, After Effects is relatively slow, which causes me to avoid using it as much as I would like.  Because of this, I have managed to save up $250 to upgrade my system.  This would allow me to upgrade my Sandy Bridge i5 processor to the i7-2600k or upgrade my GTX 460 video card to a GTX 570.  A third potential option is to upgrade my memory form 16 GB to 32 GB.  I'm trying to figure out which option would make the biggest difference.  Any advice, experience, or recommendations you folks have is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Bryan