6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 3:43 PM by wfmc staffer

MPE Hardware Acceleration Real Time capability in CS6.02 -  Awesome Performance

wfmc staffer Level 2

I'm working a densely composited sequence, and I thought it might be a good example to show Mercury Hardware Acceleration Real Time capability. First let me lay out the PC's specs.

Premiere Pro CS6.02

Windows 7Pro 64bit

Core i72600k

16gb ram

GTX 560 2gb GPU

128gb SSD system drive

3 X 1TB media drives

Here is a contact sheet of the project's media assets:

elements contact sheet.jpg

1)Cannon MXF video 720p 30 Green Screen      2) 720p mpeg animation loop      3)Premiere Title 02      4) Premere Title 03

5) Premiere Title 05    6) 720p Vignette PSD   7) Premiere title    8) Badge Graphic PSD   9) Jpg logo

1st sequence is creating a Background Matte for the Green screen Shot:

background graphic sequence.
      track 1:  animation loop with FX: gaussian Blur, Proc Amp
      track 2:  animation loop synced clone with track 1 with FX: Proc Amp, Track Matte key targeting Track 3
      Track 3: Vignette Psd - Track 2's Track matte effect uses the transparency value of this PSD to blend tracks 1 & 2.
      Tracks 4&5: Local PD badge grfx with motion and basic 3d motion key frames, alternating loops from tracks 4 to 

5 with dissolve transition.

background sequence.jpg

Next Sequence I use UltraKey to super impose the Green Screen shoot over nested Background sequence.

Original composite sequence.

Track 1: background graphic sequence nested

Track 2: Cannon MXF video 720p 30 Green Screen medium shot with FX: Ultra Key

original composite sequence.jpg

Next Sequence I want to frame the nested green screen shot and background animation sequence:  Function Create Framed Vignette with title maker and Track Matte Key.

Track 1: original composite sequence nested with FX: Track Matte Key targeting Track 2

Track 2: Title 2, Track Matte Key effect on track 1 uses the transparency value of this Title, creating a vignette.

Track 3: Title 3, serves as  graphic frame on original composite vignette.

Track 4: PSD graphic of local PD logo with FX: Position, drop shadow.

composite framed sequence.jpg

The Final Sequence Super Imposes the Nested Framed Green Screen Composite over a 720 Graphic matte created with Adobe Title Maker.

Track 1: Title 05, Title file graphic background
      Track 2: 720p vignette PSD file, opacity mode subtrack
      Track 3: Adjustment Layer with FX applied to tracks 1&2: Gaussian Blur, Track matte key targeting Track 4
      Track 4: 720p vignette PSD file, Track 3's Track matte effect uses the transparency value of this PSD to blend       

tracks 1,2 & 3.
      Track 5: Composite framed sequence nest with fx: Motion, Basic 3d, Drop Shadow
      Track 6: title file with fx: Basic 3d

Composite framed & matted sequence.jpg

So I want to impress on anyone following this that everything plays in RT and totally smooth and fluid without any rendering needed. I can experiment with key framed motion and basic 3d attributes of each nested element separately and instantly see the results.

I have used Real Time boards from Canopus and Matrox before in the early to mid 2000's for Accelerated RT DV editing; and while those were nice at the time, they never offered the RT capabilty to compound and nest Real Time fx like this. There would be considerable rendering needed to acheive the like.

Also for those of you considering  a GTX GPU for MPE Hardware Acceleration, I consider it Essential for Premiere Pro, and certainly essential for this project.

Happy editing to you all.