6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 7:55 AM by webg2

Digital Signatures macro

I was using Macro Express Pro to do the digital signatures in Acrobat 9. (It takes too long without a macro when signing multiple docs.)

I had it working great in Acrobat 9, but Acrobat X changed that. (almost have it working, but one last glitch)

Does anyone have a solution to speed up this process?

• 1. Re: Digital Signatures macro
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you explain exactly what it is you're doing? A lot can be automated with JavaScript.

• 2. Re: Digital Signatures macro
            webg2 Level 1

I am signing documents using digital signatures. Using Macro Express Pro, I am using two macros.

Macro1 allows me to place the signature field using these keystrokes...

Alt+V+T+S, F6, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, Enter

At this point I need to click and drag a rectangle to place digital signature field with the mouse. I ended the Macro1 here to allow user input for mouse move. (do not know if Macro Express can pause for user input )

After using the mouse to place the field on the document, the "Sign Document" dialog box appears to enter the password.

With the "Sign Document" dialog box open, I now invoke Macro2 to enter my password and sign and save. Macro2 does these keystrokes...

Macro2 tabs thru the "Sign Document" dialog box to the password field, types my password, tabs to the SIGN button and clicks (enter) the SIGN button.

The SIGN button brings up the "Save As" dialog box and Macro2 tabs to the SAVE button and click (enter) it. Because it is replacing a document, another dialog box asks to confirm.

I am no Macro Express Pro expert, but the Macro2 has a glitch on the "Save As" box.

Macro2 gets to the "Save As" dialog box and has a problem. I think the problem is with the macro, not Acrobat X, but like I said it was working in Acrobat 9.

I have never used javascript, but am williing to take a look.

• 3. Re: Digital Signatures macro

When the signature is added, will it always be on the same page (e.g., the first or last) and in the same predetermined location and the same size? If not can you explain how the user decides where to place it and how large to make it?

• 4. Re: Digital Signatures macro
                webg2 Level 1

Not sure what you mean about predetermined location. The documents I am signing are pdf files I created using Word, Excel, etc. and have no signatrue field to sign.

In Acrobat, I open the pdf file I created and  click "Tools - Sign & Certify - Sign document": Acrobat requires me to create a signature field. I click and drag  to set the location and size. Then the Sign Document dialog box appears.

• 5. Re: Digital Signatures macro

For example, if you wanted to always create a signature that's 1/2 inch tall and 2 inches wide, placed 1/2 inch from the bottom-left corner of the page, it would be straightforward to script this. If the placement/size needs to be determined by a user after looking at the document, then this wouldn't be quite so straightforward. Does the signature field even need to be visible on the page, or will having it appear in the Signatures pane be sufficient?

• 6. Re: Digital Signatures macro
                    webg2 Level 1

I was not aware of the signature pane. Will have to look into that.

Anyway, I got my macro working. I put a delay in the macro while acrobat calls up the "sign as" dialog box.

If anyone wants the macro's let me know. (you have to have Macro Express)

Thanks for the reply George.