3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2012 3:05 PM by RjL190365

What should i get HD7970 or GTX680. Please help

Hamza Sgayar (Redcode)

Hi Guys.

I'm new here and I could really use some help.

I have a Asus Gtx560 Ti. and I'm thinking of upgrading to GTX680 or HD7970 the problem is i don't know witch one is more suitable to me..

I'm Professional video editor. I work on premiere, AE, 3ds max. Since Nvidia has it's CUDA feature; its obviously clear that i should get Gtx680 BUT..

What really got me scratching my head and thinking is that Nvidia has took the chunk of its compute power away..

Would the Gtx680 be the best choice for me.

Please help guys I'm dizzy now and i can't think clearly.
      Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: What should i get HD7970 or GTX680. Please help
          RjL190365 Level 4

If you're running Windows, the choice is easy: GTX 680. If on the other hand you choose the HD 7970, the Windows version of Premiere Pro CS6 will be permanently stuck in software-only MPE mode, and cannot use any GPU accelerated features at all. This slows down editing performance significantly - timeline renders can be 10 or more times slower than with GPU acceleration (which, by the way, supports only NVidia CUDA GPUs). All this is because the Windows version of Premiere Pro CS6 still lacks OpenCL GPU acceleration support.

On the other hand, if you will be using those other programs more, you'll have to compromise. Optimal performance in both Premiere and those other programs might require an expensive Quadro card because the OpenGL performance on GeForce GPUs with their drivers leaves a lot to be desired.

• 2. Re: What should i get HD7970 or GTX680. Please help
            Hamza Sgayar (Redcode) Level 1

Thanks for your help, I think i'm going to get the GTX 680 since i'm trying to improve the rendering and exporting speed.

But I have few Q.

The Quadro 4000 has 256 cuda cores, the 680 has 1500+, how does this compare ?
            Is the 2-3 year old quadro really still better then the new GTX 680?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: What should i get HD7970 or GTX680. Please help
              RjL190365 Level 4

Hamza Sgayar wrote:

Thanks for your help, I think i'm going to get the GTX 680 since i'm trying to improve the rendering and exporting speed.

But I have few Q.

The Quadro 4000 has 256 cuda cores, the 680 has 1500+, how does this compare ?
              Is the 2-3 year old quadro really still better then the new GTX 680?

Thanks.

For Premiere, the Quadro 4000 is actually significantly slower than the GTX 680. In fact, it is slower than even your current GTX 560 Ti - that is, the Quadro 4000 performs more like a cheapo GeForce GTX 460 SE in Premiere. But for 3D design programs such as 3Ds Max, the Quadro generally performs better than any GeForce due in large part to the less-than-robust OpenGL support in the GeForce drivers.