3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2012 8:37 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing Playback Flickers in Premiere Elements 10

CittyKitty

I was running PE 10 on an XP 32 bit desktop, and created my project files and exported MPEGs with no problem. I just updated my computer to a new Lenovo 64 bit machine with Windows 7 and new 27" LCD monitor.

When I open and try to play back the same project files, the playback screen flickers constantly. The audio appears to playback ok, but I can't see the playback enough to do any editing. I opened the other project files, in case it was just one that had the problem, but the same thing happens with all of the project files.

I have checked my drivers and Googled this problem, which has happened to others. But I have not seen an answer. The refresh rate on the monitor is 60p Hz, which is the highest it will go for 1920 x 1080 resolution, True Color 32 bit.

I don't know what else to look for. Has anyone here had the same problem and resolved it?  I would appreciate any assistance.

• 1. Re: Editing Playback Flickers in Premiere Elements 10
          the_wine_snob Level 9

CityKitty,

1. What is your video card, make and model?
          2. What is your installed video driver, date and number?
          3. What is you Source Footage?
          4. Can you provide the specs. of the new Lenovo, and especially the CPU and the I/O, i.e. the HDD's?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing Playback Flickers in Premiere Elements 10
            CittyKitty Level 1

Hi Bill. Thanks for responding.

On a hunch, I went to the windows Update site to see if there were any updates I had not gotten. There were two optional updates that I downloaded: Intel Display HD Graphics and Update for Windows 7 x64 based Systems. Note: these were optional and I would not have received them in the regular updates.

After installation, I tried PE 10 playback again and the flickering problem was gone. So it appears that the flickering problem is due to Windows 7 configurations, and you need to download the optional updates. Just another good reason to switch to Apple.

• 3. Re: Editing Playback Flickers in Premiere Elements 10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Glad that you could update the Intel HD graphics driver. Historically, Intel has produced great chips, but they have been horribly remiss in offering updated drivers. For most programs, that is not such a big deal. However, with programs like PrE, there is great reliance on the video driver.

Thank you for sharing your solution.

Good luck,

Hunt