• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 7- Adobe Reader X 10.1.4- "An Internal Error Occurred"-"Fatal Error, Adobe Failed to connect

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Adobe Reader X 10.1.4  lately and I could not open any pdf file I have and gave a message, "An Internal Error Occurred. I tried to change it under the Program Features for updates and fixes  and re-started my computer. Then I tried to open again a pdf file and a message " Fatal Error", Adobe failed to connect to DDE Server. What do I need to do to fix this up? Is Adobe even aware of this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open Adobe Reader by itself?  If so, try if disabling Protected Mode helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have other Adobe products installed as well like Acrobat, Creative Suite, photoshop etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also do you have Symantec Endpoint installed ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also facing the same issue. And with this proble I am not able to launch/open Adobe Reader itself.. So Can't disable protected mode.

I am using HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Windows 7

Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running the Reader/Acrobat cleanup tool:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

The re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried running the cleanup tool and then rebooting and reinstalling Adobe Reader.

It is not helping.

I am getting the same error message. By the way I am not getting "Failed to connect " message, only "An Internal Error Occurred".

Please help..

Regards,

Pushan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try to run the appication as Administrator.

To do same:

1. Right click the program icon.

2. Select run as Administrator.

Does this solve the problem. Also can you paste screenshot of the error message. From where did you install Reader.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the Adobe Reader icon and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility - Try Recommended Settings - Then choose test the program and that is where you will be able to Disable Protected Mode which will fix the program. This also works for windows server 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter WHAT I do or what has been suggested here, I have done.  I still cannot get rid of this disable protected mode.  This didn't start until I installed Mozilla - until then I used PDF files right and left.  Now, I can't even send a pdf form via email.  I'm seriously desperate for help.  I also have a Windows 7 HP Pavillion laptop.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, troubleshooted, I'm at the end of my rope.

Really, any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

teagee wrote:

I still cannot get rid of this disable protected mode.

I don't understand what this means; can you elaborate.

So you get an "Internal error" when try to view a PDF?  What is your Reader version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above is what it looks like whenever I try to open a pdf document.  I am trying to upload a few pdf docs and I cannot because this keeps showing up.  I have tried all the suggested fixes - Troubleshoot compatibility - disable protect mode, etc.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled older versions.  I have spent 2 hours on this and am frustrated beyond belief.  This all started when I added Mozilla Firefox.  Even when I click "open with protect mode disabled" nothing is corrected.

My reader version has been both the most recent and the one prior.  I've tried both.

I have Windows 7 on an HP Pavillion laptop.

I want to get rid of this and be able to work with pdf documents again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does ANYONE know how to disable this pop up?  I have run as administrator to remove protected mode disabled and same - I can't just use adobe pdf the way I used to ever since I installed Mozilla (I've since uninstalled, still no luck).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder, reinstall Adobe Reader, and you're good to go. The issue appears to be due to some incorrect permissions on the Adobe folder. Deleting and letting the the folder get recreated seems the easiest workaround.

Clif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dhydier and Clif.. The solution provided by Dhyder is working. I

will try your suggestion also, Clif.

Thanks again!!

Pushan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If all things fail and you are not getting a resolution to this. Delete the Windows 7 User profile.   C:\Windows\Users\<user name>

Reboot, then recreate the user profile by logging on as the User.   You are not done yet.

Logoff and log back as Administrator and go to Regedit and manually delete the user profile from the Registry.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\[SID]    look for the User name.bak

Delete it.   Then reboot and go back and log on as the user.  That should fix it.

If you get lost with those instructions on how to delete user profile.  Go to this link:

The best way to delete the user profile from a domain joined Windows PC - fixedByVonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines