7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 7:52 AM by Noel Carboni

Histogram behavior in CS6

JA430

Hi,

I prefer leaving my histogram in Photoshop CS6 in RGB mode, yet everytime I close the program and re-open photoshop, it defaults to Colors when I open a new document. Does anyone know how to get it to retain the RGB readout as a default?

John

• 1. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
          Noel Carboni Level 8

This has been discussed before.  I don't think anyone ever figured out how to get RGB mode to stick.

Ah, here's that old thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4436078

The behavior is a bit complex.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Hm, I wonder if you could set a startup script that would execute a "Select RGB Channel" on opening a document (or starting Photoshop if that's all it takes).  I'll bet someone familiar with scripting could actually make that work!

I know it's possible to set up such a script, but I'm not sure of the mechanics to do so.  Hopefully someone will see this and give it a try.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
              JA430 Level 1

Noel,

Thanks for your reply. That's what I figured but thought I would ask. Guess I'll just learn to like it the way it is..

John

• 4. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
                conroy Level 5

Just clicking RGB in the Channels panel immediately after opening a file doesn't change the Histogram channel from Colors to RGB.

Clicking a single channel then RGB in Channels panel does change Histogram channel to RGB.

I thought an Action bound to a Fn key could be a solution but two approaches failed:

1. Channel panel changes in an Action do not result in a Histogram channel change.

2. Picking a channel in Histogram panel is not recorded in an Action.

Note that if an RGB document is layered (i.e. does not contain only the special Background layer) then detargeting all layers will switch the Histogram channel to RGB.

That automatic switch to RGB can be an annoyance when you want a different Histogram channel to remain active, and is particularly disruptive if you have the Histogram panel in Compact mode. The panel needs to be in Expanded mode in order to change its channel. The options for channel and source should be in the panel's dropdown menu so they can be easily changed when the panel is in Compact mode.

• 5. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

conroy wrote:

Just clicking RGB in the Channels panel immediately after opening a file doesn't change the Histogram channel from Colors to RGB.

Huh, I just tried it again to be sure.  Before I didn't notice the Channel field not changing from Colors in the Histogram panel, since the aggregate histogram turns white and the functionality becomes the same as that of RGB.

The inconsistencies in this software, especially across the multiple platforms, sure make it difficult to predict what it will do.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

OMG, even worse, when I DO what I said (just click on the RGB channel right after opening a document), the Histogram just stops updating in real time forever more, until I hit the refresh icon in the Histogram panel.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Histogram behavior in CS6
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Actually, no, that may not be it.  I think I have stumbled on another bug...

I'm using the Dodge Tool on the image and looking for a histogram update.

I'm investigating this further...

-Noel