4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 1:40 AM by [Jongware]

Aligning rotated text away from spine

viks1234

I am creating a directory which rotated text towards the edge of the page. This is so that people can thumb through it and quickly get to their section of interest. When I insert a page, the edge becomes spine. I need the text box to automatically turn 180 and move towards the edge. Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Aligning rotated text away from spine
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of InDesign are you using? How is your directory going to be viewed? Printed? Interactive PDF? SWF file?

I need the text box to automatically turn 180 and move towards the edge.

This sounds like you're seeking interactivity, but you're not clear what kind of interactivity.

• 2. Re: Aligning rotated text away from spine
            viks1234 Level 1

Using CS6, it will be printed. let me detail the problem a little more. Lets say I have a page with everybodys address on it. It is a right side page. On the edge of the mage I have a text box- turned 90 degrees that reads- 'faculty email'. I then insert another page with random information a couple of pages before this and now the original page in question is a left side page and 'faculty email' is near the spine and oriented upside down.

• 3. Re: Aligning rotated text away from spine
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I'm understanding you, you can cause such a frame stay away from the spine if you make it an anchored object which is anchored to the text which includes the faculty email. In Object > Anchored Object Options, you need to choose the Relative to Spine option. I made the text of the faculty page red to see what happens when a page is added. Here's the way it's created. You can see where it's anchored because I turned on View > Extras > Show Text Threads. The frame is anchored at the beginning of a paragraph.

AnchoredObject_Spine.jpg

After adding a page the anchored object stays away from the spine:

AfterInserting.jpg

However, I think you'd have to manually rotate the frame (unless it could be done with a script). The text frame is oriented in the same direction on both left and right pages.

• 4. Re: Aligning rotated text away from spine
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Steve Werner wrote:

.. I think you'd have to manually rotate the frame (unless it could be done with a script). The text frame is oriented in the same direction on both left and right pages.

Heh heh heh. This turned out to be surprisingly easy (for a certain definition of "easy", actually).

1. Draw Left Hand Text Frame, and insert Left Hand Text.

2. Draw Right Hand Text Frame, and insert Right Hand Text.

3. Rotate both into correct orientation.

4. Place them side by side and group.

5. Cut.

6. Draw a new text frame and set its paragraph alignment to Away from Spine.

7. Paste into.

At this point, the grouped frames will shift left on left hand pages, right on right hand pages. You only want to see one at a time, so

8. Draw a rectangle small enough to only show one of the frames.

9. Cut textframe-containing-group-of-textframes.

10. Paste Into your new rectangle.

Perhaps one or two of the steps can be omitted by expect use of Anchored Object settings, I didn't try that.