16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2013 11:46 AM by ownview

Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.

fuzzybabybunny Level 1

I'm looking to do some extensive traveling, backpacking style, and I need a laptop that I can carry with me on my back along with all my other clothes and stuff.

Can anyone recommend a laptop with enough power to process video? Windows only.

My current laptop is

Core i5 480M 2.67GHz

8GB RAM

256GB SSD

1920x1200

AMD HD5650

but it's a big 15 incher and a bit on the heavy side.

It processes decently but the AMD card is probably holding it back, right? I should try for a card with a nVidia card? Is there any hardware acceleration with AMD cards for processing? Or would it be equivalent to just having an integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 video card?

• 1. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>enough power to process video

1st question would be... what kind of video?

There is a very large difference between Standard Def video and the High Def video from just about any modern camera

Laptop Video Editing PC http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
            fuzzybabybunny Level 1

The system specs I listed above I use for processing 1080p video shot with a Canon T2i and it's more or less ok. I'll also be processing 1080p GoPro HD2 video.

• 3. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

fuzzybabybunny wrote:

It processes decently but the AMD card is probably holding it back, right? I should try for a card with a nVidia card? Is there any hardware acceleration with AMD cards for processing? Or would it be equivalent to just having an integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 video card?

Yes, some acceleration with AMD (OpenCL) but dramatically less than with NVidia.

Intel HD graphics - no acceleration at all.

I can't think of any ultrabook (under 5 lbs) that has NVidia discrete graphics in it, unfortunately.

How heavy is your current laptop, exactly?

• 4. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I have found that anything less than my Dell M6600 i7 2860QM with 16Mb, a Quadro m4000 card and an external esata raid-0 won't satisfactorily process 1080p25.

It's great for packpacking - provided you get someone else to carry it ;-)

• 5. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

Jon-M-Spear wrote:

I have found that anything less than my Dell M6600 i7 2860QM with 16Mb, a Quadro m4000 card and an external esata raid-0 won't satisfactorily process 1080p25.

Anything less will process 1080p25 unsatisfactorily?  I.e. it just doesn't satisfy you?

Is your 1080p25 uncompressed? If not, do you try to work with 10 layers of video at the same time?

(I mean, RAID is good but I just don't see it being necessary unless you work with a lot of layers or seriously high bandwidth video.)

• 6. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Anything less will process 1080p25 unsatisfactorily?  I.e. it just doesn't satisfy you? - Correct.  It processes unsatisfactorily as I initially stated!

Is your 1080p25 uncompressed? If not, do you try to work with 10 layers of video at the same time?  Long GOP XDCAM, multi-layered editing; green screen.

(I mean, RAID is good but I just don't see it being necessary unless you work with a lot of layers or seriously high bandwidth video.)  Raid is ESSENTIAL.

• 7. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                      fuzzybabybunny Level 1

Jon-M-Spear wrote:

Anything less will process 1080p25 unsatisfactorily?  I.e. it just doesn't satisfy you? - Correct.  It processes unsatisfactorily as I initially stated!

Is your 1080p25 uncompressed? If not, do you try to work with 10 layers of video at the same time?  Long GOP XDCAM, multi-layered editing; green screen.

(I mean, RAID is good but I just don't see it being necessary unless you work with a lot of layers or seriously high bandwidth video.)  Raid is ESSENTIAL.

Not essential to me. Essential to you. The video work that I do process fine on the specs listed in my previous post.

Will any nVidia card support acceleration? Even the mobile ones? I'm thinking maybe a mobile i7 with SSD and 1920x1080 screen with some lower end nVidia card would work just fine, right?

• 8. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                        fuzzybabybunny Level 1

Found this:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Zenbook-UX32VD-DB71-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B00863L2MS

Max Screen Resolution1920x1080 pixels
                        Processor1.7 GHz Core i7-3517UM
                        RAM4 GB SO-DIMM
                        Hard Drive500.0 GB
                        Graphics CoprocessorNVIDIA GT 620M

3.2lb

• 9. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Will any nVidia card support acceleration? Even the mobile ones? I'm thinking maybe a mobile i7 with SSD and 1920x1080 screen with some lower end nVidia card would work just fine, right?

Not any; the consensus is that the card should have a minimum of 1GB of RAM, decent memory speed, a certain number of cores.  Not sure what the absolute minimum is.

Studio 1 has done some impressive testing - it appears that, say a GT-240 works - which is similar, and probably slower than a GT-620M you are considering.

• 10. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                            Alex - DV411 Level 2

Found this:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Zenbook-UX32VD-DB71-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/ B00863L2MS

Perfect. Not too expensive either, given the specs and weight.

In fact, very impressive. IPS 1080p display, USB 3.0, HDMI and MiniDP.  Similar Toshiba / Lenovo configurations would be at least a few hundred more.

The only question, is the memory expandable / upgradeable? Can't find detailed specs on that.

(Message was edited by: Alex Gerulaitis)

• 11. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                              JEShort01 Level 4

Fuzzy,

They are not cheap, but Sony's Z series 13.1" laptops are VERY powerful and have full HD displays. They have quad-core CPUs (WAY faster than the power mizer cpu in the Zenbook) and come with built-in 2xSSD drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Sony's current models all use on-board Intel HD graphics. However, I think that they used to make a model with a GTX nVidia in this same 13.1" form factor that would probably be even stronger for Premiere Pro if you could find one.

Whatever you get, you should probably plan on a USB 3 or eSATA connected external drive (7200 rpm) too assuming you will be working with the so popular and sluggish AVCHD video.

Regards,

Jim

• 12. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                                ownview Level 1

hí evryone!

i am looking for a laptop

i gonna use for video editing, (premier , avid, after,)

my budget is 900 Pound

i found the lenovo y500 (Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processzor / 6GB / 1TB / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M SLI )

and the lenovo y580 ((Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processzor / 8GB / 1TB / NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M)

later i like to buy more memory and an ssd

i think the y500 is better becouse got sli so to vga, but i am not sure these programs ara gonna use sli .

so my question is what do you think is it gonna be enaough for hd video editing?

or if u have better suggestion pls tell me.

• 13. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Desktop is much better. If you want ultraportable, it begs the question WHY? You still need 16 GB RAM, a SSD for OS & programs and a second 7200 RPM disk for media, and thus a wall outlet, defeating the portable aspect. SLI is not supported.

• 14. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                                    ownview Level 1

thanks for your post Mr Harm Millaard!

i know the desk is better and for a same price i can buy much better.

but my problem is, when i am travelling i need the computer with me for the same work.

so i need to buy a laptop.

i thinking about mac, but the macbook pro what i can buy is think is much worst then those lenovos.

so if u have any idea thanks u.

cheers

• 15. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

i think the y500 is better becouse got sli so to vga, but i am not sure these programs ara gonna use sli

Adobe (or any other NLE) apps don't use SLI.  What does matter is memory: Y580 goes up to 8GB according to specs, Y500 - to 16GB, so I'd look at Y500 for CS6.

so my question is what do you think is it gonna be enaough for hd video editing?

With an HD screen (1920x1080), 7200rpm or SSD boot drive - yes.  You might also need external USB 3.0 storage for media.

or if u have better suggestion pls tell me.

I like Lenovo W530 - but it's about $300-800 more expensive, all other things being equal - because of support, warranty, features, "workstation class" graphics.

• 16. Re: Need an ultraportable laptop for video editing.
                                        ownview Level 1

Alex Gerulaitis!

thx for your suggestion, and the fully answears!

i chechked *** well the 530 but is almost dubble price in my country, and uk actually they not really selling it locally.

i can order from the states but like 1300pound or more plus post plus i need to pay taxt

. so i cant take it .

my budget is maximum 900pound for the laptop

- later ssd and later more memory,

the storage i got.

cheers