2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 9:01 AM by Miked08

The legality of using a student version of CS6 at home (legal) and also using it at work (?)

Miked08

Whilst I know it is legal to use my student bought version of CS6 for commercial work at home I don't know for sure if it is legal to also install the suite at my workplace (an architect firm).

I found two licencing answers which seem to imply that I could use the suite at home and at work (though not at the same time).

Can I use my software on two computers?

If you own, or are the primary user of, a single-user or volume license Adobe product that is installed on a computer at work, you can also install and use the software on one secondary computer of the same platform at home or on a portable computer. However, you may not run the software simultaneously on both the primary and secondary computers. No more than one user can use a single-user license Adobe product.

*Copied from: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/end-user-license-agreements-faq.html

Can I use Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software on more than one computer?

Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software may be used on two computers only. This is ensured through a product activation procedure, which is performed online.

Perhaps posting here is not a definitive way of finding out an answer to my question... if so, where else could I go?

Thanks

• 1. Re: The legality of using a student version of CS6 at home (legal) and also using it at work (?)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We have a saying here in Germany: "Wer viel fragt, geht viel irre." Meaning the more you ask, the more you get confused. The simple legal interpretation is, that what is not explicitly precluded/ exempted in any sort of contract is considered as never having been part of this contract and thus nil and void. While going on at some length about the secondary install, neither the edu FAQ nor the EULA make any mention of what your primary computer actually needs to be or where it must be located. So for all intents and purposes a computer provided by a company where you intern could be considered just that as long as the license you install on it can only be used by you, meaning no other person can use it under a differtent user account on the same machine, which is technically perfectly doable by eitehr managing the Activation/ Adobe ID yourself or using the operating system's user privileges and file permissions to prevent access to e.g. the license store folders. Beyond that, you cannot expect any 100% definite answer, only taking this to court on a case by case basis could, but I guess that's not the point in the first place. People do weird things with their licenses all the time and depending on where in the world you live or even use a program at any given time, half of that stuff may be invalid, regardless. The only personal observation I will make here: A company that is dependent on a student's own PS license is probably not a place I would consider a good place for getting my career started...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: The legality of using a student version of CS6 at home (legal) and also using it at work (?)
            Miked08 Level 1

I'll take it to court then! I kid. Seriously though, I imagined this to be the case, thanks for clarifying the legal 'grayness' of the situation.

So, I guess it's fine for me to install the CS suite on my work computer as no one else will be using it. Sweet.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the long response.