7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 5:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2

LorinK2922

I have an external VGA captuer device that I'm feeding into a laptop to capture the video (of overhead presentations) and then later sync with video of speakers in premiere/After Effects. The laptop recognizes the device as a webcam.  I've found it's relatvely easy to capture the video in any number of super-lossy compression formats, like DIVX, etc. But these codecs are pretty much useless when trying to edit.  I've tried some other applications to capture as DV AVI type-2.  Of these, "Captureflux" seemed to be the most promissing. But for one reason or another, they're all just proving to be too buggy.  I thought good old graph edit might be the best tool, as I've used it before with great success. 

I set up the following filters in Graphedit:  webcam source> DV video encoder > AVI Mux > file writer. 

While it's sucessfuling rendering files, they're still not quite up to spec. 

First, are they even type-2, and how can I tell for sure?

Does "DV video encoder" put in an AVI container automatically equal type type-2 AVI?

Second - because of the nature of the VGA capture, the frame rates will be inconsistent (based on USB speed).  Is there a way in graph edit to lock in the frame rate at 29.97, regardless of the incoming rate of the webcam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
          josephs51576386 Level 3

To answer part of your question, if you put the file into the program "media info" it will tell you if it's AVI Type II or not. It will give you all the information that you need including frame rate, resolution, field order, audio info and more etc.  You can download media info at this link.

http://download.cnet.com/MediaInfo/3000-2169_4-10413046.html

In my experincing capturing stuff with Premiere and also with Nero Vision whatever I set the frame rate too is locked regardless I'm not fimilar with the software you're currently using though.

• 2. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
            LorinK2922 Level 1

Thanks for the media info link.  It's showing it as 27.22 fps, DV (sony), DVCPRO.  (Curiously, premiere showed the frame rate as 29.97) 

Another test shows that all video is stopping after about 8.5 minutes.  After that, it's just a freeze-frame for the next hour of the file. I would have thought that maybe I'm running into the 2GB file size limit of AVI-type 1.  However, the total file size is only 1.76 GB.  

Has anyone done anything like this before - Webcam to editable DV video?  If graphedit isn't the best way to do it, I'm open to other suggestions.  I HAVE to figure something out by a week from today, so getting nervous . . .

• 3. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
              josephs51576386 Level 3

No Problem, so since your saying it's type-1 now I'm assuming it turned out to not be type-2?

• 4. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
                LorinK2922 Level 1

It doesn't say type-anything, so I'm assuming that means it's type 1?:

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave

Commercial name                          : DVCPRO

Format                                   : DV

Commercial name                          : DVCPRO

Codec ID                                 : dvsd

Codec ID/Hint                            : Sony

I have the "Cedocida" type-2 DVAVI codec installed on my system, but it doesn't show up in graphedit under video compressors. (I only see "DV video encoder", the one I used.) I don't know how to make graphedit "see it"  When I try to "add" it in the filter window (selecting the .dll), I get the error message "This module was loaded but the entry-point dllregisterserver was not found"

• 5. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It doesn't say type-anything, so I'm assuming that means it's type 1?:

The majority of contemporary programs do produce Type II DV-AVI's. Note the word, "contemporary," as I am not sure of the age of GraphEdit. WMM was one of the only programs, that produced Type I's, and now, MS's WMM Live only does WMV's.

As someone suggested, you can do a test DV-AVI file, and run it through MediaInfo. That should tell you exactly what Type the file is. If not, then try in G-Spot (also a free file info utility, though not usually as useful as MediaInfo).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
                    LorinK2922 Level 1

Thanks. I'm actually using graphedit plus, which is pretty new and 64 bit compatible.  The reason I was going this route is because all those other webcam-capture-as-type2-avi titles seemed to crash on me. I need reliable avi capture for multiple files over an hour.  I've also tried virtualdub.  But while it imports the cedodida DV codec, it doesn't offer it as. Capture codec.  ARGH!!!

• 7. Re: Calling all graphedit gurus - webcam to DVAVI type-2
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if it's fairly recent, then my guess would be that it DOES Capture in Type II DV-AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt