3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 11:57 AM by Steve Werner

How to export pdf with hyperlinks for the samsung galaxy tablet at the lowest file size?

carolina_coco

I have produced a guide, which we now want to use with the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I created the guide using InDesign and have exported it as a PDF. I have exported it at a resolution of 144ppi , the lowest really I would like to, as the image quality begins to get quite poor, especially when zooming in on the tablet.

I have then reduced the file again in Acrobat bringing it down to around 4mb..

My first question is, do you know anything else I can do with regard to compression of the file that will help with performance on the tablet? When loaded onto the tablet the transitions and loading of pages is slow; jumping from links to different faults takes too long and therefore defeats the purpose of the’ real –time’ purpose of the guide.

I wouldn’t have thought a 4mb file would have been too much for the tablet to handle

• 1. Re: How to export pdf with hyperlinks for the samsung galaxy tablet at the lowest file size?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Acrobat Pro is the best place to reduce image size. The first thing to do is to use the Optimizer (you may have used the Reduce Size features which is less effective). In Acrobat X Pro, choose File > Save As > Optimized PDF. In Acrobat 9 Pro, choose Advanced > PDF Optimizer. Click the Audit Space Usage button at the upper right. If a lot of the size is coming from images, you can downsample them further. If you have a lot of Illustrator vector objects, you can save space by removing some of the Illustrator private data. (As I recall, it shows up as X Object Forms).

For images, select Images and downsample your images further than 144 ppi. For Illustrator data, check Discard User Data and check Discard private data of other applications.

Remember that tablets like the Galaxy Tab have less memory than desktop applications so you have to take that into consideration.

• 2. Re: How to export pdf with hyperlinks for the samsung galaxy tablet at the lowest file size?
            carolina_coco Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks, yes I did use the Reduce Size features. I have also had a look at the Audit Space and it seems a lot of it is coming from structure info 30% and the other images. When  I save using optimise it seems to increase my file size?

Thanks,Caroline

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:43:25 -0600

To: carolineleonard1@hotmail.com

Subject: How to export pdf with hyperlinks for the samsung galaxy tablet at the lowest file size?

Re: How to export pdf with hyperlinks for the samsung galaxy tablet at the lowest file size?

created by Steve Werner in InDesign - View the full discussion

Acrobat Pro is the best place to reduce image size. The first thing to do is to use the Optimizer (you may have used the Reduce Size features which is less effective). In Acrobat X Pro, choose File > Save As > Optimized PDF. In Acrobat 9 Pro, choose Advanced > PDF Optimizer. Click the Audit Space Usage button at the upper right. If a lot of the size is coming from images, you can downsample them further. If you have a lot of Illustrator vector objects, you can save space by removing some of the Illustrator private data. (As I recall, it shows up as X Object Forms). For images, select Images and downsample your images further than 144 ppi. For Illustrator data, check Discard User Data and check Discard private data of other applications. Remember that tablets like the Galaxy Tab have less memory than desktop applications so you have to take that into consideration.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4687347#4687347

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4687347#4687347. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: How to export pdf with hyperlinks for the samsung galaxy tablet at the lowest file size?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bottom line is you'll have to experiment with different settings. But Optimize PDF gives you more options to try.