6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 6:25 AM by sinious

Can't save ActionScript files

kjones3d

I am trying to create a save a simple Hello World ActionScript file using classes.

I can choose ActionScript file from the Create New box and start typing out my Hello World class file.

The problem comes when I try to save.

The Save dialog box comes up and if I start typing right away, I can type in a file name, but if I hit enter to save, it makes a space instead.

I cannot click on any buttons or navigate anywhere. Pressing Esc has no effect and I have to Force Quit the application.

I'm running CS6 on a Macbook Pro running OSX Mountian Lion.

• 1. Re: Can't save ActionScript files
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

Can you elaborate on "it makes a space instead"? Are you saying it either inserts a space into the filename or it changes the whole filename to a space, or?

• 2. Re: Can't save ActionScript files
            kjones3d Level 1

it inserts a space after the filename, but before the extention

• 3. Re: Can't save ActionScript files

First time I've heard of the issue but they're not running Mountain Lion here just yet, so that could have something to do with it. If you remove the space in Finder and re-open, when you save it doesn't re-insert the space does it?

• 4. Re: Can't save ActionScript files
                kjones3d Level 1

unfortunately, it won't even save. So no file is being produced.

Clicking Save or Cancel or pressing the ESC key don't do anything.

The program is still technically responding, but I can't do anything else.

• 5. Re: Can't save ActionScript files
                  kjones3d Level 1

Update:

I am no longer having to Force Quit Flash. I've found that I can still access the file tabs to move them in and out of the "maximized" view or whatever that's called and I can close the file from there as well, however I'm still unable to save any ActionScript files.

• 6. Re: Can't save ActionScript files

"file tabs"? I don't recall any file tabs. Are you referring to the project panel or the library perhaps?

As far as writing code at all, have you considered writing code outside Flash in another program? You can even get Flash Builder 4.6 Standard free in certain circumstances (student, unemployed, etc). Unfortunately FlashDevelop isn't available on Mac or I'd quickly point you there. These programs let you write code with excellent code completion that far exceeds the built-in ActionScript editor. I'd give these a try.

Per your situation however, I can't think of any other reason than OS-level permissions that would prevent Flash from writing a file. If it has the permission to write a FLA file then it can definitely write an AS file in the same path. If you can't even save your FLA to a new file then that's a different story.