11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 7:13 AM by GilmourB

Can't extract Photoshop CS5

GilmourB Level 1

I can't extract the Photoshop CS5. Everytime I try I get :"A problem occured while extracting some files. Check available space on your computer and the write privileges on the destination folder" .
      I've spent long hours on the phone with multiple agents trying to resolve this issue. I have WinZIP, my computer is Windows 7 Pro, etc... Still cannot get the issue resolved. Can someone please help?

As well, while on the phone with one of the Adobe Agents, I was informed to type in: "cmd.exe" in the start menu, then once the window opened I was then informed to type: "net user administrator /active:yes". This created a whole new Administrator account for me, when I already had an Administrator account saved under my name. So now I'm stuck with two and I cannot get rid of the Administrator account that the Adobe Agent made me create. I've tried many things in reference from google. Such as: Right Clicking Computer on the start up menu then clicking manage Local Users and Groups. I then clicked Groups and tried to delete the Administrator account, however it would not allow me. Then I tried to type in "cmd.exe" in the Start Menu, once the window opened I proceeded to type: "net user administrator /active:no", and yet again it did not work. Can someone please help me remove this Administrator account as well please?

• 1. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

My Computer --> Right-click --> Manage --> User Management. The rest is not going anywhere. You're not offering any info on your system. Extraction errors often point to temporarary space being short or locked or some security tools being all too eager to scan files, but nobody here can even begin to make sense.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
            GilmourB Level 1

What else do you need to know?

• 3. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
              Level 5

GilmourB wrote:

What else do you need to know?

…sigh…

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                GilmourB Level 1

The exact version of the Adobe Application you are running: Adobe Photoshop CS5

• Your Operating System details: Windows 7 Professional on a brand new machine
                • Amount of installed RAM: 16GB
                • Amount of free disk space: c:    free on an SSD drive, D: 100% free on SSD drive,  E: 100% free on HDD, F: 100% free on HDD
                • Make/Model of Video Card: Nvidia Quadro 2000
                • The EXACT text of any Error Messages you saw:

"A problem occured while extracting some files. Check available space on your computer and the write privileges on the destination folder" .

• Precise symptoms of your problem: after downloading the Photoshop CS5 files from Adobe Alternate Download Method and running the .exe file msg says 100% extraction then the Error Msg pops up, "A problem occured while extracting some files. Check available space on your computer and the write privileges on the destination folder" .

I'm also having the same problem also on a Windows 7 Premium Home Acer Aspire laptop with 4GB RAM, 40GB free on C: HDD, running an AMD ATI 1GB graphics card. We are 20 hours into terrible support from Adobe on this issue. We've spent  15-20 hrs on telephone hold with them, and gone through at least a dozen agents and managers; each agent repeats the same steps so we get nowhere with Adobe Care/Support.

Our purpose is to migrate a paid version of PS CS5 to a new computer.

• 5. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                  GilmourB Level 1

Can't give you the free space on C: because Adobe has taken over the computer but they are once again repeating all the same steps as the previous 20 calls with them that got dropped, terminated, or abondoned by Adobe b/c they had no idea

• 6. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you happen to have any real-time, active anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-anything running?

If so, when you turn that OFF, can you Extract that downloaded file?

Which of your drives did you download to? Which folder?

Which drive are you attempting to Extract to? Which folder?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                      GilmourB Level 1

No, I turned off them all off and I still cannot extract the downloaded file.

I've tried to download them to many different drives and folders including Desktop, C:/Program Files and C:/Program Files (86), Downloads Folder, etc...

I have attempted to Extract to C:/Drive, D Drive (SSD), External Network Drive and External USB 2 Drive, as well as, External USB 3 Drive.

This afternoon Adobe installed Windows Installer Package and managed to Extract CS5.1; however, when I enter the serial number I get Error Message: "The serial number you entered is valid, but our qualifying product cannot be found on this Computer".

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me with this.

• 8. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

No, I turned off them all off and I still cannot extract the downloaded file.

Great. Those active, real-time scanning programs can cause all sorts of issues.

I've tried to download them to many different drives and folders including Desktop

For others, or for next time, the Desktop folder has some special properties, and those can be problematic for many programs. I suggest keeping that one clean, and not using it for such operations.

This afternoon Adobe installed Windows Installer Package and managed to Extract CS5.1; however, when I enter the serial number I get Error Message: "The serial number you entered is valid, but our qualifying product cannot be found on this Computer".

The first part is great news, and solves the originally listed problem.

For the S/N, however, there are some additional questions:

1. Was this an Upgrade, that you downloaded?
                        2. Do you have a qualifying copy of PS, to upgrade from?
                        3. I have never installed, or upgraded from a download, so do not know how that might function, but with the program on physical media, there are two S/N's. One is for the installer, and that S/N will tell the installer if one is doing an upgrade, or an initial install. With an upgrade, one will usually need the S/N from that qualifying program. For any S/N issue, that you cannot find a quick answer for, I strongly suggest calling Adobe Customer Support (not Adobe Technical Support), with all of the invoices, S/N's, etc., handy. They can handle most S/N issues quickly, so long as the user has the necessary numbers and paperwork.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                          GilmourB Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you for your suggestions.Adobe won't disclose to us how they finally got PS CS5 to get past teh extraction from zip phase (despite letting them know they are violating FOIP law by not disclosing it).

Your tip #3 prompted us to enter 2 different serial #'s and that moved us past registration to a working copy of Photoshop. Thank you again.

Unfortunately we to do this again on another computer we are upgrading from HDD to SSD and Adobe won't disclose how to move past the extraction problem r why we have it on multiple computers.

More and moe Adobe problems, various parts of their site have been like this all day, see below.

Adobe fail.JPG

• 10. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                            Curt Y Level 7

GilmourB wrote:

but our qualifying product cannot be found on this Computer".

This can frequently be an expired Adobe trial on you computer.  Search for it and then uninstall if found.

• 11. Re: Can't extract Photoshop CS5
                              GilmourB Level 1

Curt, thanks for your feedback. There isn't a trial on the computer.