9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 3:32 PM by A.T. Romano

How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10

CittyKitty Level 1

I am struggling with the still images in my Titles for my video project, and would really appreciate some help. I have done a lot of googling on this and searched this forum, but can't seem to find the answer I need, maybe not searching the right questions or just "not getting it".  Not even PE Adobe tips or Adobe TV cover this, although it seems important to know. I am not clear how PE10 will handle the resolution of an imported still image or graphic art from Photoshop. Perhaps this topic will also help others as well.

I am working on a video project for my job, editing an old training video. Created new Title graphics in Photoshop, inserted the Title images and integrated with video clips, then exported the video segments as MPEG files.  I burned the whole video to DVD.

When the final DVD plays on a computer or TV screen, the photo images in the titles are fuzzy even though they were clear 300 dpi images. (I know dpi doesn't matter in video). The title text is also a bit fuzzy and the title text that has animation applied to it is even more fuzzy. Yet the old MPEG video clips look fine - it's just my title graphics and text that look bad (embarrasing).

So I need to know how to improve the quality of the still images/graphics for a video??

Project settings:

- Hard Disk, Standard 48kHz

- Editing Mode: DV NTSC

- Frame: 720 x 480 (0.9091)

- Frame rate: 29.97fps

- with "Optimize Stills" box checked

Using these settings because I am working with MPEG files from an old training video CD.

File Export: MPEG, NTSC DVD Standard

I export the video clips as MPEGS because they will be burned to a CD or DVD for distribution to our staff offices.

Work Details:

In Photoshop, I created still image graphics for each Title sized at 720 x480 with high resolution photos and company logo (300 dpi), and save them as a bitmap to import into PE10.  In the Timeline, I insert the still image in "Video 1" track, then in Video 2 track create a Title over it for text (some animated, some still). Sometimes I stack 2 or three titles with text in separate video tracks over one still title image. Yes, there is a red line across the top in the Timeline because I didn't render the still images.

Questions:

• What is the best resolution for images imported into PE10 from Photoshop?

• Should I be creating title graphics/images at 720 x 480 or a larger ratio like 1920 x 1080 so it will display better when seen on a computer or TV?

• Do I need to render each title image in the timeline so that it will eventually display better in the MPEG?

• Is it better to create a title and then insert the still image into the title so they are integrated, rather than layered on separate video tracks?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

• 1. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's take this one step at a time.

1. Video has no DPI, or PPI. The Resolution is immaterial, and is usually just set to 72 PPI, for showing on the computer's monitor.
          2. With SD (Standard Defintition) Video, such as for DVD-Video, the best resolution that you can get is 720 x 480, for an NTSC Project.
          3. PrE can Scale larger Still Images, down to 720 x 480, BUT there are two problems: it requires significant overhead to process those unused pixels, and the Scaling algorithms in PrE are not the best. It is much better (both from a processing standpoint, and also from a quality standpoint) to do the Scaling in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. This article goes into much more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0

If one is working with Adobe Illustrator files, those will be in the AI format, which is Vector Art. Video is Rasterized. PrE can Rasterize many Vector Art formats, but Photoshop does a much better job, and its PSD format is ideal.

Hope that helps, and I will address several of the other questions, individually.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

• Should I be creating title graphics/images at 720 x 480 or a larger ratio like 1920 x 1080 so it will display better when seen on a computer or TV?

There is nothing to be gained, by creating Images in PS, larger than the Frame Size of your Video Project. They will have to be Scaled down, and like Still Images from a digital camera, PrE will do a worse job of that Scaling.

Photoshop offers several Video Presets in New Image. I use those for my Titles, and any artwork, that is going to Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

• Do I need to render each title image in the timeline so that it will eventually display better in the MPEG?

When one creates Video out of Still Images (whether Stills from a camera, Raster Art from Photoshop, Titles from either Photoshop, or Titler), there WILL be a red line above the Stills. However, Rendering (hitting Enter/Return) is ONLY for smoothest playback. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/794719?tstart=30. The Rendering of the Timeline will not affect the Transcoding to MPEG-2. It is only for viewing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
                the_wine_snob Level 9

• Is it better to create a title and then insert the still image into the title so they are integrated, rather than layered on separate video tracks?

While Titler is a fairly powerful tool, I do much of my intricate Title work in Photoshop. However, with multi-Layer Images, PrE will ONLY Import a Flattened Image, so that there are no longer Layers to manipulate, in PrE. If you do the work in Titler, or perhaps in a combo of PS and Titler, you still have control over many of what would have been Layers in PS, without having to Open the original Layered PSD back in PS, and then Save_As again, to Import into PrE. If one Imports the separate elements of the complex Title, and uses separate Video Tracks, they have more control in PrE, without having to go back to a working file, and Photoshop.

Now, PrPro does allow one to Import a Layered PSD, WITH the Layers. It is Imported as a Sequence, and this is what I do. Basically, it then stacks the elements up, just like we discussed above, regarding PrE, and I can edit them in PrPro, or even back in PS, however is necessary. PrE does not have Sequences, so the Layered PSD must be Flattened.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  When the final DVD plays on a computer or TV screen, the photo images in the titles are fuzzy even though they were clear 300 dpi images. (I know dpi doesn't matter in video). The title text is also a bit fuzzy and the title text that has animation applied to it is even more fuzzy. Yet the old MPEG video clips look fine - it's just my title graphics and text that look bad (embarrasing).

Remember that DVD-Video was designed for CRT TV sets, and was a major step up from VHS tape. However, when viewed on an HD computer monitor, or HD TV *, it is still ONLY 720 x 480, with is about 1/4 of the resolution as 1920 x 1080, which is about what we are used to seeing on those display devices. That is but only 25% of the quality. It can never look as good as HD material.

Good luck, and if I missed something, please point that out to me.

Hunt

* With the advent of BD players, and up-rezzing DVD players, things HAVE improved, when viewing a DVD-Video on an HD TV. The newer players have up-rezzing chips, that do a very good job of "improving" the viewed material's quality. However, even with those amazing chips, DVD-Video will NEVER be as good as a full-HD source. Also, computers do not have those up-rezzing chips, so when one views a DVD-Video on a high-rez computer monitor, it will still look pretty bad. There ARE a couple of new DVD software players, that improve the quality of DVD-Video played on a high-rez computer monitor, and a few look fairly promising. I speculate that we will see some more development in the DVD-Video area, especially as BD is not proving to be the big seller, that many promised. Even 3D is not helping BD realize its promise.

• 6. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
                    CittyKitty Level 1

Hi Bill,

I can't thank you enough for your help and advice!!! I have seen some of your articles, so I know you are THE expert on graphics for video. You have a great way of explaining things in a professional and rational manner. You take the time to provide details no one else does.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

CittyKitty,

Thanks for the kind words, but I really do not do more than any of the other regulars around here. We all try to work as a team to help users.

Most of all, I only hope that I was able to help.

Again, if I missed something, please ask for more details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
                        timmyleeturner

So I'm not clear, should I resize my images first to 720?  They looks awful if I import them full res.

• 9. Re: How to Work With Still Images in Premiere Elements 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

timmyleeturner

What is your intended export?

Please supply details specific to your situation, and I will post clear customized workflow that offers the best possible end product, including

appropriate photo size to get the best possible photo clarity in the Premiere Elements generated end product.

Thanks.

ATR