4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 9:05 PM by Steve Werner

Limit character count/Java in form elements

gen_ingham

This is probably a really simple question! I have the new CS6 InDesign and I'm creating a form. When I create a text field, I want to be able to limit the number of

characters in that field. For instance, if I create a "State" field (as in what state a city is in) and would like to limit the amount of characters to 3.

Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to insert java commands into an indesign doc? I'm very new at it but if its not possible, I won't bother looking!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Limit character count/Java in form elements
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are some form related settings which are not available in InDesign. Setting the number of characters is one of them. However, if you create the PDF (File > Export > Adobe PDF (Interactive) and open in Acrobat Pro you can edit them. In Acrobat X Pro, you would choose Tools > Forms > Edit. In form editing mode, double-click on the text field and look at its properties. On the Options tab, you can set the number of characters.

You can add JavaScript in Acrobat Pro, not in InDesign.

• 2. Re: Limit character count/Java in form elements
            gen_ingham Level 1

Thank you this has been very helpful!

• 3. Re: Limit character count/Java in form elements
              joelatwork

..... so, why do u have to go to all that trouble to restrict the number of characters in InDesign? I am sure it cant be that hard for InDesign to add that funcationality - lets say it takes 40hours for them to code it into the program..... if they do it it will save HUDNREDS of THOUSANDS of hours of their customers having to go through another program to create it..... gotta be worth it.

i mean flash has that capability... and i think dreamweaver too? why this simple oversight??

• 4. Re: Limit character count/Java in form elements
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When a new feature is introduced (as the form feature was in InDesign CS6), it's virtually impossible to include all possible features. There is only a limited amount of engineering time, and it has to be spread over many different features and tasks. In fact, in the CS6 timeframe, while that feature was added, a tremendous amount of engineering time had to be spent entirely re-writing InDesign to use the Apple "Cocoa" technology (a requirement to continue to run on future Macintosh computers), and to move to a 64-bit technology.

If you'd like to request additional form features, put in your request here. Be sure to make a good case for why that is a particularly important feature:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

The fact is no application can do all things. That's why most people buy the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, or Creative Suite 6. Many features can be best done using other applications.