20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 3:45 PM by satekkk

Page Numbering.

satekkk Level 1

I want to use the numbering in InDesign but the numbering starts on the cover, how do i chance it so it starts on the first spread?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Page Numbering.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Select the page where you want numbering to start in the pages panel and right-click. Choose Numbering and Section Options, and in the dialog start a new section and set the start number to 1. ID will complain that you alread have a page 1, so do the same thing on the front cover, but change the numbering style to anything else so ID can differntiate between the two sets of numbers.

• 2. Re: Page Numbering.
            satekkk Level 1

I dont know if im doing this wrong but all that seems to do is serperate so theres two page 1s and the covers has say Roman Numerals on? Sorry to sound like and idiot im kind of new to indesign

• 3. Re: Page Numbering.

That's what's supposed to happen. Every page page has both an Absolute page number (starting at 1 on the first page ofthe file and running consecutively without repetition to the end) and a logical page number, which you can assigne through the section and numbering dialog. It's the logical number that appears when you use a page number marker.

Are you really asking how to make the page number appear on the page?

• 4. Re: Page Numbering.
                satekkk Level 1

It doesn't matter i have found out how to do it, you don't have to be so condescending

• 5. Re: Page Numbering.

I didn't mean to be condescending. I just wanted to clarify what you were trying to do. Many new users are not familiar with all of the terms in ID so they don't always phrase questions clearly and sometimes we don't end up answering what a user was really asking becasue we've misinterpreted what they said.

Was the information I gave you on sectioning useful?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Page Numbering.
                    satekkk Level 1

Ah ok, I realise now that i have done it. I didnt say what was happening correctly because i can see where your coming from now where as before something completly different was happening but i didnt go into detail. What was actually happening was the page i was trying to make the 2 page the 1st page the numbers start on but what was happening when i tried doing what you said i must have done wrong because the second page was becoming its own new page and removing its self from the spread. I ended up doing what you said but deleting the unused page number by Overiding all of the Master page items. Thanks anyway tho!

• 7. Re: Page Numbering.
                      satekkk Level 1

what i did with overiding the master pages is wrong obviously but its fine by me haha!

• 8. Re: Page Numbering.

satekkk wrote:

I dont know if im doing this wrong but all that seems to do is serperate so theres two page 1s and the covers has say Roman Numerals on? Sorry to sound like and idiot im kind of new to indesign

OK, so maybe what you are saying is you wanted to number what was the original second page as page 1, and you ended up with two consecutive right-hand pages? That also would be normal, though not what you might expect. ID respects convention and puts odd numbered pages on the right of the spine and evens on the left side for documents that read left to right. This is what readers have come to expect. You can force ID to reverse the numbering sides by not allowing pages to shuffle.

• 9. Re: Page Numbering.
                          satekkk Level 1

Ah thank you, this has actually taught me something, thank you!

• 10. Re: Page Numbering.

OK we were cross posting here. Did you see waht I said about numbering and the side of the spine? Do you understand about the page shuffling options if you really want to go against convention (which I really advise against -- it looks unprofessional and bothere a lot of readers at least subconsciously).

• 11. Re: Page Numbering.
                              satekkk Level 1

I saw what you said and i kind of understand it, thanks for the help though i really appreciate it!

• 12. Re: Page Numbering.

If you can explain what you don't understand, I'll try to clarify. In the meantime, you can try playing with the pages in the panel if you like. Select your page 1 that is to the right of the spine, and in the panel menu uncheck Allow Slected Spread to Shuffle. You can now drag that page to the left side of the spine. You'll probably now see an orphan page 2 that you can drag to the right half of the spread, and things will look "normal" except for the numbering.

• 13. Re: Page Numbering.
                                  satekkk Level 1

I understand now thank you! Seen as you seem to know InDesign inside out haha, I've got a 16 page booklet so page 1 and 16 are the cover. I was going to print my own magazine with a home printer. How would I do this so that it prints on both sides of the paper ? I know I seem like I shouldn't be attempting this but i really want to see what my design would look like in a zine ?

Also if you think there's anything else I should know before starting this magazine ?

Thanks man I really appreciate the help!

• 14. Re: Page Numbering.

Yeah, I saw your other thread.

Does your printer duplex (have two-sided print capability), or will you have to turn the paper over and feed it a second time? If you can Duplex you can use Print Booklet from the file menu to print it onto A4 landcape pages (you need to go from the Print Booklet dilog int the setup dialog [which looks like a regualr print dialog] to set up the page size and orientation).

If it doesn't duplex, what's your OS? Do you have Acrobat Pro installed?

• 15. Re: Page Numbering.
                                      satekkk Level 1

No I don't have a Duplex, I would have to feed it through a second time, and yeah I have acrobat and I have windows 7!

• 16. Re: Page Numbering.

Great. You should have the Adobe PDF virtual printer installed (it happens automatically when Acrobat pro is installed on windows). Choose Adobe PDF as the printer, set up the page size and orientation (check the preview in print booklet) and print to PDF. You can print iindividual pages, or evens, then odds, from Acrobat and flip them in between.

• 17. Re: Page Numbering.
                                          satekkk Level 1

Thanks peter you've help me out loads!

• 18. Re: Page Numbering.
                                            satekkk Level 1

is there any setting i should know about before printing?

• 19. Re: Page Numbering.

I'd use the High Quality Print preset. I think you'll probably need to to first enter setup from Print Booklet to get to the dialog where you can choose the PDF printer, then click Setup in that dialog to go to the printing prefs for the virual printer and set the default setting to High Quality Print. My memory is it installes using Standard, which is low resolution.

Remember, too that this is just for output on yor own printer. If you decide at some point to send this out for commercial printing you will almost certainly not want to impose the pages using Print Booklet, and you'll want to talk the printer t find out what settings they want for you to EXPORT the file to PDF.

• 20. Re: Page Numbering.
                                                satekkk Level 1

Thanks again peter! Really helpful.