2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 10:51 PM by Mylenium

Better way to work with AE and Premier CS4

bho617

I've read most of what's been said about rendering and planning your work before you begin. However, I have a very large 1 minute AE file that was already created with HD settings. All I needed to do was drag and drop my footage and text - which I did in seconds.

I'm using the 1 minute as an intro to a video I'm creating in Primier CS4, SD 16:9, 720x480 NTSC. My question is:

a) rendering this clip is taking about 4 1/2 hours. Using QuickTime movie, no compression. Remember is HD and HUGE. Should I do it this way?

b) Would it be better to use Adobe Bridge and bring the un rendered project into Premier, choosing Fit to Screen?

c) Would it be better to export it as an HD .avi file, bring it into Media Encoder and downsize the file and THEN import the single .avi clip into Premier?

What do you suggest will give me the most stable and clear one minute intro?

I'm working in Windows 7, 64 bit, 2 hard drives: C and Video. Have the Production Suite. 8 GB Ram. System is 3 years old and was built by a certified Adobe dude.

Thanks for anything you can give me.

• 1. Re: Better way to work with AE and Premier CS4
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, but I've the post twice and I'm still puzzled by it.  Where is the rendering taking place: AE or Premiere?

What's the screen aspect ratio, codecs & resolution of the already-rendered AE clip and the Premiere project?  If they don't match, it would slow things down and AME would be a good choice for transcoding.

• 2. Re: Better way to work with AE and Premier CS4
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Dave said, confusion everywhere. It's pretty clear that you know little to nothing about AE and thus don't know which levers and knobs to tweak. In so many words, none of your ideas makes any sense, as it's actualyl ridiculously easy to downsize content in AE, eitehr by nesting it in a notehr composition as a layer and using "fit to comp" or scaling it in the output module settings. The rest is neither here nor there -
            "stable and clear" are just a matter of perception. Yes, from a technical POV using uncompressed is always a safe bet, but that won't do you any good if you do something silly when scaling the footage. So we're back to square one no matter what. Therefore I strongly suggest you read the AE help and this:

Getting started with After Effects

And yes, depending on what's involved in that template project, the rendering time could be perfectly normal.

Mylenium