1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 10:43 PM by Kasyan Servetsky

Automatically Create Hyperlink Using Product Name in PDF text

EvelynneKKay

Hi,

I've recently been told that all the product names in our PDF documents from here on out have to link to their component files (these are also PDF files) on our server (which is currently hosted locally). This is a problem because any given document is generated as a Solidworks Assembly engineering drawings. Before I try my first attempt at creating an Indesign Script (on something that sounds kind of complicated for a novice like me) I was wondering if there are any existing scripts out there that do something like the following:

1. Find all instances in the text of product names beginning in 3 capital letters and ending in a number (digit)
      2. Create a hyperlink to the component parts files using the product name found in the text. Taking the product name--CAI623, for instance--and creating a hyperlink

So the end result, for example, would be that a product name like CAI623 would become a hyperlink and would open the component part file like CAI623-1

It seems like it might be a relatively common problem, so I'm hoping that someone out there may have a resource already available. Oh, I'm on Indesign CS5 on a PC. Would prefer Javascript so our vendors could use it on a Mac. If not, I'll get to crackin' on making it myself.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!