6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 10:10 AM by DarciG2012

After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context

DarciG2012

I am currently working with Creative Cloud CS6 After Effects on a Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite, Core i3. I've been having trouble opening the program suddenly. I thought it might be due to a plug in which I had been trying to get working with both my After Effects and Premier (which works fine btw) to use to read a specific video coversion file (AVS). It didn't ever work so I unistalled all the plug ins I could find, uninstalled After Effects and reinstalled it. Then I started getting the error "Invalid type context" and AE would crash. I've uninstalled and re-installed twice and still cannot get AE past this error.

Edit: Got a chance to write dow the info message after the error:

"After Effects error: Crash in Progress. Last logged message was: <1588> <ae.blitpipe> <2> Making new context"

I've looked for help in the FAQ and also done a couple searches in the forums, but found no topics about this type of error. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's a hardware acceleration issue, probably caused by whatever tool you installed busting up things, more specifically your CoDecs. Either that or a graphics card configuration issue. Check these things.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context
            Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

[Moved the discussion to After Effects Forum]

• 3. Re: After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context
              DarciG2012 Level 1

I'll look into it thanks. My video card was on default settings still so I don't think that is where the issue lies. So it must be a program like I thought. one other peice I completely forgot about, my quicktime was uninstalled (I don't know why. Must have been a mistake or error) somehow and I installed quicktime 7 too.

After effects was whinning about needing Quicktime right around the time I starting havng launching errors too. Could Quicktime be a trouble point?

• 4. Re: After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Could Quicktime be a trouble point?

Yes.  And don't overlook the great worth of QT7; QTX is most charitably characterized as a work still in progress which hasn't reached the capabilities of QT7.  I wouldn't put QTX on my machine.

• 5. Re: After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context
                  DarciG2012 Level 1

I had to install QT7.780.42 to get a QT that even opens. sure enough the newest version I had installed didn't even open at all on my sysem. I re-installed even to be certain.

Got further along in the launch. Still ran into 'invalid type context'  so the bugs aren't completely worked out. But at least one knot is unraveled...yeah, program errors are like a messy piece of string sometimes.

Does anyone have a good forum link or tutorial in handling hardware acceloration issues in After Effects?

• 6. Re: After Effects Installation error: Invalid Type Context
                    DarciG2012 Level 1

1. I've uninstalled all files pertaining to AVS conversion from my computer.

2. I've given After effects full permissions through my windows firewall and McAffe too.

3. I've reinstalled twice since my first post.

4. I've stopped Adobe QT32 from running while AE loads.

5. I've run the program as an administrator and tried running it configured for Vista OS.

6. I've removed all preferences and cannot find any folder for AE preferences in my AppData folder.

I'm still unable to keep the program from crashing as it initializes the user interface (farther along than before). I'm still getting the Invalid Type Context file. It brings up a save project option, which I haven't tried as I haven't gotten far enough along in AE to have any work to save.

I did get this detail report in an attempt to diagnose the problem:

C:\Users\Darci\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3C3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\Darci\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2104.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\Darci\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2EBB.tmp.mdmp

I really need help as I'm at the end of all possible suggestions for this type of problem.