4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 5:53 PM by PJR!

Can't Print to Epson Printers from Photoshop

ddavis94

Hey everyone - for some reason I am unable to print from Photoshop CS6 to two different Epson printers - an Epson 9800 and an Epson 7880. I have tried to print from three different computers (OS 10.6 and OS 10.8) and have also tried three different USB cables. Each time I get the same results - the computer acts like it sends the data to the printer, but the printer never prints anything. I am not getting any error messages. I am attepting to print a 3960x2160, 720 DPI RGB TIF image. I tried printing from Preview as a test but that didn't work either.

This is a new problem as I have been printing to these printers for years with no issues.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, turning the computer and printers on and off, cleared my caches and repaired permissions, but so far no luck.

However there is ONE situation in which I am able to print - if I save the image as PDF and print it from from Acrobat, specifically with "Acrobat Color Management" selected, it WILL print. If I try to print from Acrobat with "Printer Manages Colors" selected, it will not print.

This is really driving me mad and I would love to find a solution. Major thanks to anyone who can help!

• 2. Re: Can't Print to Epson Printers from Photoshop
          ddavis94 Level 1

Photoshop preferences have been deleted but I am still unable to print. Are there preferences somewhere else that I should be clearing out?

• 3. Re: Can't Print to Epson Printers from Photoshop
            ddavis94 Level 1

Success! I have no idea what the issue here is but I tried printing a completely different file as a test, and lo, that file prints fine. The other file does not. Since the file I'm trying to print is a rasterized Illustrator file, I just rasterized it again so I'm working with a new file, and it prints! I am so pleased.

• 4. Re: Can't Print to Epson Printers from Photoshop
              PJR! Level 1

I had the same problem with CS5. I have an Epson WF-3640 all in one and an Epson Surecolor P400. The problems started when I downloaded the custom ICC profiles for the P400. It worked at first with glitches and then PhotoShop wouldn't recognize either printer.

Following the advice on these boards, I uninstalled and reinstalled my printer software. Didn't work. There seemed to be either a deep conflict or something in the printer software had corrupted Photoshop. I deleted Photoshop using the uninstall and decertified the computer. Then using clean my Mac, I found additional hidden files that hadn't been deleted and wiped those too. I then restored PhotoShop from a Time Machine back-up before I got the P-400, when life was good.

Everything works now and the custom ICC profiles are available again. (I have now saved the current set up from Time Machine). I have been very careful to:

set the Color Settings to North America Prepress 2 as instructed in the P-400 manual.

View - Proof SetUp - Custom - allows me to proof the photo according to the appropriate ICC profile.

The in the print dialog box: PhotoShop manages color and I access the same ICC profile I used to proof. (Incidentally, I have found it helps to boost the brightness when printing to allow for the differences between transmitted and reflected light.)

I hope this helps and that it saves you wanted time and effort.