7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 10:46 AM by HossyHos

Alphabetical Order?

HossyHos

Within a form, I chose to alphabetize a column, all rows, except row 1 sorted correctly, how do I get the first row to do so?

• 1. Re: Alphabetical Order?
          Marco Qualizza Adobe Employee

Hello HossyHos,

I have some questions regarding the issue you are experiencing, so that we can better help you.

Does row 1 refer to the row numbered "1", or is it the row immediately below the row containing the column letters?

If it's the row numbered 1, can you please share the form with me (mqualizz@adobe.com) so that I can investigate and see what is happening?

If it's the row immediately below the row containing the column letters, then that is the header row and it does not get sorted with the rest of the rows.

I hope this helps,

Marco

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Alphabetical Order?
            HossyHos Level 1

Thanks for the response, it is not the header row, but Row #1.  I’m unable to forward the form, as it contains personal information.    I appreciate the offer.

• 3. Re: Alphabetical Order?
              Marco Qualizza Adobe Employee

Hello HossyHoss,

That's fair.  What is the nature of the data in the column?  Is it all letters?  Is it all numbers?  A combination of both?  Is it possible to tell me the value that is not sorting, and two other values that do sort correctly?

Cheers,

Marco

Message was edited by: Marco Qualizza Changed "row" to "column"

• 4. Re: Alphabetical Order?
                HossyHos Level 1

The data in column 1 is all letter format (names), they are required fields.   Other fields are vary, letters and numbers.

• 5. Re: Alphabetical Order?
                  HossyHos Level 1

I think it had to do with a column not being a form field, I had initially had first and last name in one field, then copied the last name info into an inserted column to have them separate fields. This was before creating the last name field as a required.  Therefore the column was not showing as being linked to a form field.   I’ve corrected that issue, and now realize the same thing has happened with two other columns, one letter, one numerical.  Is there a way to make them linked to a form field?  They have been required on the form since it was created?

Thanks for the help.

• 6. Re: Alphabetical Order?
                    Shannon Hickey Adobe Employee

Any column manually inserted in the results table cannot be linked to a form field. You'll need to insert fields directly into the form authoring view and let a column be created for them.

As far as the sorting issue you first mentioned, it should not be related to whether or not the column is attached to a field. Sorting happens the same on linked and unlinked columns. Please be aware that newly submitted responses always appear at the top of the results table. Is it possible that you sorted and then a new response came in?

Thanks,

Shannon

• 7. Re: Alphabetical Order?
                      HossyHos Level 1

Thanks so much Shannon, very helpful!