This is easy.
Put a comp-sized white solid below the video layer. Make a mask for the video layer: double-click on rectanlgle tool to make a layer-sized mask. highlight the mask and move the mask laft or right. Feather The mask horizontally only. Adjust mask position and feathering to taste. Done.
Simplicity... of couse this is the way to go. thanks a million. I can keep my hair
The most direct approach would be to use a shape layer filled with a gradient.
- Deselect everything in your timeline (CTRL/Cmnd + Shift + A)
- Select the Rectangle tool (Q)
- Set the stroke to none
- Set the fill to Linear gradient
- Edit the gradient by double clicking on the Fill preview in the Tool Bar
- Set the left color to white
- Change the right color to white
- Set the opacity to 0
- Double click the rectangle tool
- Adjust the start and end point of your gradient
Shold take you about 20 seconds.
I dug up this screen cast that shows how easy this is in 28 seconds. Hope it helps.