1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 1:03 PM by yonatanl25270460

Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error

dkitsov Level 2

After updating to the latest version of the Premiere Pro last week, everytime I am closing the project I now get a "Metadata. Metadata writing in progress (n files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want to quit? Yes/No" error window. Please see a screenshoot attached for one of such errors.

What is interesting, is that no matter how much time i give it the process is never complete.Metadataeroor.PNG

• 1. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
          Kevin B Good Level 1

Ditto here.  We have multiple Windows machines and are getting the same thing.

• 2. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
            lasvideo Level 4

On an HP Z820 running 6.02. Never have seen that screen.

• 3. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
              TJImbroDC

Additionally, I receive errors in my Events log concerning files that were working correctly before the 6.0.2 update.

Adobe Premiere 6.0.2 Metadata Errors.jpg

• 4. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                josephs51576386 Level 3

I have also been having this error non-stop during the last couple of days, it started happening almost right after my 6.0.2 update. I'll post screenies of it tommorow. I wasn't really sure if it's a bug or something else wierd going although I'm starting to believe it's most likely a a bug. My system is also Windows 7 64-bit here are the specs of my work system where I've been having the issue.

Intel 2500k

16Gb DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz

240Gb SSD OS drive

Nvidia GTX 570 GPU (MSI)

Then I have several other HDD's one that is a RAID-5 but that info shouldn't really be causing any issues. (At least I think)

Honestly though in my experince the bug hasn't really caused any actual problems for me, although I am curious as to why it happens. It's really just more annoying than anything.

• 5. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                  sachind1231 Level 1

Seeing it here too. My "system" is really just my college laptop but was definitely excited about 6.0.2 due to GT 650M Mercury support (finally!)

Win 7 64-bit

i7 3610QM

8Gb DDR3 RAM 1333 Mhz

750 Gb hybrid drive (Seagate Momentus XT)

nVidia GT 650M Kepler as mentioned

Is it problematic to close the file anyway? I gave it maybe 2 hours and still no change.

• 6. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

From what I can tell it doesn't actually cause any issues, it has popped up for me about 10 times in the last 3-4 days. At first it worried me but I've closed several times even though it said "progress will be lost" and I haven't ever suffered any consequences.

I reported it as a bug today, I'd suggest everyone else do so as well so hopefully it can be fixed, the problem is though I can't reproduce it consistently. It seems to happen randomly.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 7. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Try going to Edit>Preferences>Media and uncheck Write XMP ID to Files on Import.

• 8. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                        dkitsov Level 2

As I have asked you earlier, please do not comment on my questions and posts if you have not experienced the problem personally and have not found an actual solution.

• 9. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                          lasvideo Level 4

I think we have another moderator now 

• 10. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

As I have asked you earlier

I usually don't pay attention to who's asking, only to what's being asked.

• 11. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Even if Jim's suggestions don't help you personally, they may be of benefit to other users who may experience the same or similar problems. It is inappropriate for you to attempt to censor his input unless his posts violate Adobe's Terms of Use or Forum Guidelines. Even then, it is up to the moderators to deal with such situations.

Jeff

• 12. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                dkitsov Level 2

Oh wow.  What a shocker - now a trio of serial posters polluting the thread instead of of just one. How unexpected.

• 13. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                  dkitsov Level 2

That what I thought but there seem to be an issue if you try to export an XML. Although it might be just a coincidence but I have a project now that reports an 11 files having their metadata being written and when I try to conform an XML of a project in DaVinci resolve I get an error mentioning 11 files having the timecode extents issues.

Not sure if it is connected or just a coincidence.

• 14. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                    lasvideo Level 4

dkitsov - "Oh wow.  What a shocker - now a trio of serial posters polluting the thread instead of of just one. How unexpected."

Its probably not a good idea accusing participants of polluting the thread. At the very least its kind of insulting.  

• 15. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                      josephs51576386 Level 3

I have haven't exported anything as a XML in around a month, so it's very possible it might cause issues with that. I just wouldn't have experienced them yet since I don't do this very often, I basically only do it when I'm working with a FCP user.

It does make since though that it would show that type of error message since the problem seems to be related to .xmp's which can hold that type of info. I'm assuming if you're not using your .XMP's for anything then the error that occurs doesn't actually hurt anything. The strange thing is though I haven't been getting the error all day... (Hopefully it will go away although I doubt it)  In the past I would get the error about 50 percent of the time when I would go to close my projects.

• 16. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Another point, that probably should be made right now is that Jeff Bellune is one of the MOD's of this forum, plus a valued contributor.

What Jeff is pointing out is that there are basically three "lives" for a forum thread:

1. A poster poses a question, or lists a problem, and other users (occasionally an Adobe employee) respond.
                                        2. Subscribers with a similar problem, will ideally use Search, to find threads, that might apply to their problem, and hopefully a solution.
                                        3. Subscribers pick and choose threads to read, based on their interest, or to expand their knowledge, though they might not have a problem.

At the end of the day, Jeff decides what stays, and what goes.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                          Charles VW Adobe Employee

dkitsov wrote:

After updating to the latest version of the Premiere Pro last week, everytime I am closing the project I now get a "Metadata. Metadata writing in progress (n files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want to quit? Yes/No" error window. Please see a screenshoot attached for one of such errors.

What is interesting, is that no matter how much time i give it the process is never complete.Metadataeroor.PNG

So the metadata writing in Premiere is fairly involved.

It tries to write metadata in the background asynchronously, but only when the file isn't being touched by something else in the application or by some other application.  What you're experiencing is potentially (I can't say for sure yet) where these 23 background metadata writing tasks never finished, or someone else never let go of the file.  If that someone else is Premiere, it is definitely a bug (which is my current guess).

Are you able to provide which file types these 23 files are, and what sort of drive/volume they're on (e.g. local/external USB/firewire/SSD/etc).

And since a number of other posters are mentioning that this started in 6.0.2 for them, is that the same for you?

• 18. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                            dkitsov Level 2

It has indeed started last week with the intro of 602. I am on windows 7.

I was thinking along the same lines as you about something not letting go of the files do I made sure that all the background tasks and things like antivirus etc are disabled. The files are .mov files of either Cineform or dnxhd flavor.

I am curious how strongly is this connected to a different bug that is not unique to .2 release but affects the 6 version since the launch. Some Clips only showing up in a timeline and not in a project window or clips not having video usage info, yet actually being used.

• 19. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                              Kindari Level 1

I hope another bit of info helps track this, I have recreated this issue three times consistently; here is what leads to it in my case:

Using Win 7 x64 Ultimate, Premiere Pro 6.0.2 (creative cloud subscription)

I am working on an edit using all CineForm HD footage (in Premiere 6.0.2).

I used the "Replace with after effects composition" command on a clip in a sequence. This, of course, then loads After Effects. Often, when I use this dynamic link feature, I find that my After Effects composition becomes complex enough that it won't play smoothly in Premiere in realtime, so I go ahead and render it from After Effects as a video and just imort that into Premiere.

Thus, I render from After Effects to a new CineForm HD encoded file.

I import the new CineForm footage into Premiere, delete the automatically imported After Effects composition and replace the AE comp in my Premiere sequence with the rendered CineForm footage.

When I close Premiere, I now have the "Metadata writing in progress..." dialog box with 1 file pending. I've repeated this process with two other clips and get the exact same result (now I have 3 files pending). I have several other dynamic linked AE comps in my sequences as well.

I'm guessing the issue is only related the CineForm video file rendered from After Effects in my case (and not the use of dynamic link / imported AE compositions), but I wanted to explain who I got it to happen.

As a random side note, my Premiere seems to post-close-crash everytime I close it. The window closes all the way, then about five seconds later, I get a report that PPro has crashed.

• 20. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                josephs51576386 Level 3

Here is the picture I said I would post awhile back, I hadn't seen the error occur in a couple weeks until today. Anyways here it is.

pending error.PNG

• 21. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                  matreyia

I am on OSX Lion and it also started to happen to me after the update. This is not an OS based issue. It is an Adobe Premiere issue. I hope it gets fixed soon on their part.

• 22. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What happens if you select File and then Save as to a new Project file in the same location before you close?

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                      matreyia Level 1

Nothing happens, it works fine. However it gives me these errors on certain projects. I suspect that it has something to do with RED footage since after the update, Premiere started to give me these errors as well as corrupted file errors on some of the RED clips. It is certainly possible that the RED clips do contain write errors and that caused Premiere to lock up and fail to write metadata, furthermore, such files would cause havoc for Premiere if it were trying to read corrupted RED preview files in the media browser.

I spent an entire week converting each RED clip on a particular project into 4444ProRes format to prevent further data degradation. I hope this has stopped the bleeding. It seemed to get worse as the weeks passed by.

But in regards to the metadata error as mentioned in this thread, Premiere gives this error on some files and no error messages on other files. The only suspect would be RED video preview data. Anyone getting errors with RED files here?

VT

• 24. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What happens if you go into your Media Cache Directory and select all to manually delete and then open one of those projects?

Eric

ADK

• 25. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                          matreyia Level 1

Hmmmm, I am trying to reproduce the phenomenon, but to no avail. When the error occurs again, I stop what I am doing and post it here. Meanwhile, I must finish this project..due today.

• 26. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                            Rafal1911 Level 1

I did this:

Edit -> Preferences -> Media

uncheck: Write XMP ID to Files on Import

restart Premiere, and no more this warning.

• 27. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                              Snemanje poroke Level 1

HI.

I experienced the same: I upgraded from CS5 to CS6 a fortnigh ago and tried some random projects to open. All was fine than.

Today I started to edit on a project (in the mean time, Premiere and whole CC was updated several times) I experienced SAME "metadata pending" issue.
                                                              This was regardless if I openend CS5 created project or create new one to test. I do use Cineform too. In another project I've got "pending" message even when I tried to export via Media Encoder.

Pressing NO at the dialog, HAD consequences: Every time I re-opened same project, Premiere recreated media cache for some files (not all). I have 252 files in project, 30 files was pending: It recreated that much media cache files everytime (and multiplying them in mediacache folder). After I deleted all media cache, premiere recreated them and different number of "pending" was shown (12 in this case). After hitting NO and reopening Premiere, media cache was rebuilt for exactly 12 files (now, 264 files in media cache folder).

Workaround with "unticking" XMP ID write uppon import, helped. Premiere recreates media cache and closes normaly. Uppon reopen, it does not recreate cache files any more.

But this issue can be 100% repeated. If I tick XMP ID again, it will behave the same again and again found 12 files pending. Since I do not know what that XMP is doing I reckon I don't need it. But I doubt it was designed to work like that or to be designed with no meaning at all. I did not use dynamic link before but I would like in the future. I hope there will be solution for this, or I will be able to do dynamic links anyway?

Regards to all.

• 28. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                CaeTzar Level 1

I had the same issue.  i figured it might be a ram issue cause my sequence was getting massive.  I thought if i forced it to clear ram in a different way it might get over the issue.

i saved,

then created a new project. (didn't do anything with it)

then exited no problem, no error message.

deleted dummy project.

worked for me,  anyone?

• 29. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                  josephs51576386 Level 3

In my own experince the issue can't be recreated. It's totally random for the most part. It hasn't happened to me in about 2 weeks and my work flow is basically exactly the same thing over and over again. Day in and day out so it appears to be a totally random issue. (In my case at least) Anyways though it has happened to me inside extrmely small projects so I don't think it's related to large projects.

• 30. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                    josurf15999 Level 1

All my audio WAV files were destroyed by this error. Does anyobody know how to fix this?

error.jpg

• 31. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                      Snemanje poroke Level 1

HI josurf15999.

Your audio FILES are most likely NOT destroyed. Listen them from HDD/SSD using Windows explorer.
                                                                      But in Premiere AUDIO CACHE get screwed. Maybe waveform is not showing, maybe audio is not playing (al the time, or at all), maybe audio have bits from other tack shatteren randomly...

Very likely solution will be to delete media cache files and let Premiere create new ones. This happens more if Premiere was crashed, or when a lot of external modification is done to already cached files. Find out WHERE Premiere stores them.

How to delete media cache files: Go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > MEDIA and see what folder is set. Close Premiere, go to that folder and delete everything. I have media cache files on a SSD, because they are small and Premiere depend on them a lot when scrubbing. It speeds up audio conforming/indexing/peaking files significantly. Ma first 32GB SSD was bought just for that reason. Do not have everything on System folder. C partition could get filled up, caousing another pile of problems.

Try out and report if it helps.

Regards, MIHAEL

• 32. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                        josurf15999 Level 1

Unfortunately this did not help. I deleted all the files in that folder and waited for Premiere to reconstruct new files but it did not fix the problem. Any more ideas? At this point I'm willing to try anything.

• 33. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                          Snemanje poroke Level 1

Ok josurf15999.

As it seems you have WAV file on timeline. Is this ST-000.WAV plays from explorer? Is this file OFFLINE if you look at it among other files in premiere project (files windows)? You can see that if you right-click on file (on timeline) and choose "reveal in project". That will place highlight on file in project. You can see if it is online or not. On that file you can right-click again and choose "reveal in explorer". It will open windows explorer and point to that file. If it's there it must play in windows media player (or any other). If does not play, problem is in source file.

Please tell more, detailed, to enable me giving some more hints.

Regards

MIHAEL

• 34. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                            josurf15999 Level 1

Thanks for the help Mihael but unfortunately this method didn't work either.

It is definitely online. I did the reveal in explorer and it plays in windows media player. The actual audio files are fine in that I can pull the original audio files from the project side panel into the sequence and it will be fine and play perfectly but for some reason this particular sequence as it is has the audio files muted.

I am running Adobe Premiere CS6.03 which is the most current update I believe. I am running Windows 7 64bit with 16GB RAM 3.60 GHz quad core. Originaly when I tried to save my project I got the error "Metadata writing in progress (2 files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want ot quit? "   I waited 30 minutes but nothing changed. So I just accepted and exited. Then when I reopened the project all the sound looked like this.

This is frustrating because I spent so much time putting all the sound files together. It would take forever to redo it. Here's a screenshot of when I click on it:

error2.png

• 36. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                              josurf15999 Level 1

YES! Thank you so much, that worked.

• 38. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                                Snemanje poroke Level 1

I'm glad you found solution.

Thanks to Jim Simon for pointing to the solution, which even I could need someday.

regards,

MIHAEL

• 39. Re: Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error
                                                                                  BArticol Level 1

Well here it is August of 2016 with CC PPro version 2015.4 (v10.4 (30), Good Buddy) and the problem has resurfaced. For the first time ever, but since upgrading to this version, I'm getting the "Metadata writing in progress (n files pending)..." warning dialog on exiting PPro even when the project file has been saved a few seconds prior. It doesn't appear if the project file is simply closed first. So it happens when there is no active/open project file as well, but not if a file was never opened. Also, upon exit, when I go to restart PPro, it won't run (i.e., the splash screen never appears). I have to go to Task Manager and kill the PPro process first. It appears that a PPro thread remains running in the background on application exit, and blocks any attempt to restart it. Anyone else seeing either of these effects?  My rig is a Windows 10 64 bit machine with 32 GB DRAM.

1 2 Previous Next