10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 12:02 PM by Noel Carboni

Can we rally and get this fixed?

mickkky-D

There is a huge annoyance in CS6 for us Interface Designers. Basically it pertains to precise targetting with the mouse cursor.

As users we want to select precisely the layer that the mouse cursor is hovering over. This could mean selecting a shape layer 2 pixels away from another shape layer.

In CS6 shape layers have an invisible 9px padding that is blocking this precise selection we need in our daily Photoshop activities.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/move_tool_annoyance_un_precise_targe ting

Adobe please fix this!

Much Appreciated,

-Davor

• 1. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I agree with your desire to have Photoshop be pixel-perfect, and I support your request...

BUT...  I hate the concept that Adobe thinks the public should vote on what they want fixed the most, and I've personally sworn off the feedback.photoshop.com site.

What's wrong with the concept of fixing ALL the problems, not just the ones people vote the most on?  Yes, I understand the need to prioritize work, but that's better done by an intelligent manager who knows what he's doing and understands his product.  This social networking style crap is for the birds.  What needs to be trending is quality, not "popularity"!

Good luck getting them to fix it.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
            TLL... Level 3

Hear hear! Not to hijack a thread but we are talking about professional software, not American Idol...

• 3. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
              mickkky-D Level 1

Noel voting on what should be fixed is an effective way to design your software for the public. Photoshop is a product, so it needs to be designed to work for the people who use it. I don't really understand what point you are trying to get across in your post.

If people love this 9px padding selection feature, and they are the majority, then myself and the others who have expressed their dislike are basically #$*) out of luck.

But this feature sucks, and it is new in CS6 so its not just a thing we "dislike" its something that feels broken because it worked intuitively and intelligently in previous versions.

-Davor

• 4. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Only one problem with that:  The public doesn't know squat about designing good software.

Do you think Thomas Knoll polled the public to nitpick every feature he added to Photoshop? 

Sorry, but I just see it as a stalling tactic.  It should be enough that a professional noticed it as a problem and took the time to write.

But hey, if you want to game their system, go on other forums and try to drum up support by having people follow your link and vote your idea up. Yeah, that'll get us better software.

I'm not being critical of you; I wish you well.  I'm being critical of the way Adobe runs their development.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                  mickkky-D Level 1

Thanks Noel,

There's a +15 on the issue right now. I wonder what it needs to get Adobe's attention.

Can the people reading this post please go and vote it up?

-Davor

• 6. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Just for you, I braved that site one more time and gave you +1.  But I still hate the idea.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                      Level 7

FYI - I already had someone investigating that before you posted...

Votes are for feature requests.  We monitor all bug reports, regardless of votes.

• 8. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                        mickkky-D Level 1

Thanks Noel for the upvote.

And Chris, thanks for looking in to the matter. It's not a "bug" persay but it is a very frustrating UI change.

What are the chances something like this gets changed? Do you need more customers to ask for it or what is the deciding factor?

Thanks

-Davor

• 9. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                          Level 7

This isn't a crashing or corrupting bug -- so it doesn't immediately qualify for a dot release.   It's more likely to be fixed if a lot of people are complaining about it.

There are a couple topics about this on the feedback site, and a few here as well.

• 10. Re: Can we rally and get this fixed?
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Chris Cox wrote:

This isn't a crashing or corrupting bug -- so it doesn't immediately qualify for a dot release.  It's more likely to be fixed if a lot of people are complaining about it.

This highlights precisely the lack of leadership I am talking about.

The general public may be too naive to realize that this "feature" is hindering adept Photoshop users from working precisely.  Those folks might even be happy about it making it easier for them to grab small things in their ham-handed attempts at snapshot editing.  These are perhaps the same folks who would prefer giant fonts and big, colorful icons in the UI.

Keep letting the public influence your design decisions for your high-end professional product and you'll end up with what?  Something to better compete with Photoshop Elements?

A well-founded and well-presented argument for precision should be taken seriously by the folks doing design leadership and should trump any number of people voting for something else that doesn't align with the product's goals.

I think it's funny that Adobe generally takes the stance that they're smarter and know better how to make an image editor work than any individual professional user, but would be influenced by the vote of anyone who has enough brain cells connected to sign up for an internet forum.

Food for thought.

-Noel