8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 1:07 AM by SPANIELS

3D in CS6

SPANIELS

Everytime I open the 3D workspace the grid appears over the text that I want to convert to 3D. On videos that I have watched it appears underneath the text, how do I get it to appear under the text?

• 1. Re: 3D in CS6
          Noel Carboni Level 8

It could be a bug in your GPU driver.

Does the grid go away when you choose something other than the Move Tool?

It would be most helpful if you could do a screen grab of your entire Photoshop environment at the point where you're seeing the problem, save it as a JPEG, and post it here via the little "camera" icon just above the editor window.  Many problems get solved through screen grabs clearing up what people are describing.

-Noel

• 2. Re: 3D in CS6
            Noel Carboni Level 8

This is along the lines of what you should be seeing:

TestExtrusionScreenGrab.png

-Noel

• 3. Re: 3D in CS6
              SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

The camera view is what your running into, and the way to get a camera view so the ground plane grid gets obscured is to place your text layer in the bottom half of the document view before extruding.

If you have text already extruded, use the 3D camera tools to move the view from 'worm eyes' view to 'bird's eye' view with the middle icon on the Move Tool options bar targeted.

regards,

steve

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 3D in CS6
                SPANIELS Level 1

Hi there

Good advice, when I input the text in the lower half of the document the grid appears to be normal, however, it will not always be the case that I want to input the text in the lower half so is there a way to see the grid in the correct place wherever I put the text on the page. You mentioned "worm eyes" and  "bird eyes" is it possible to see it only via bird eyes and if so how do I effect that change.

Many thanks,

Paul

• 5. Re: 3D in CS6
                  conroy Level 5

The Move Tool is used to change the view. A gold border around the window indicates that the view is targeted. If its not gold then click once or twice in the window, but not on an object, until the border becomes gold. Using the tool in 3D Rotate mode or 3D Drag mode, drag the mouse up/down to lower/raise your viewpoint.

• 6. Re: 3D in CS6
                    SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

I don't know of a way to change the default location of the horizon line, when generating 3D extrusions; it always sets the camera so the horizon line is at the middle of the document. There also aren't custom camera presets that can be used across documents or separate sessions (except the canned orthographic views).

If you are always working with the same document size, you can try setting up an action that moves the camera location and direction in order to move the horizon line up the document (actions save absolute, instead of relative, number values). Or you can manually use the 3D camera as conroy pointed out.

Another option is to type in the lower portion of the document, and extrude. Then with the Move tool targeted and using the Ctrl (Win)/ Cmd (Mac) modifier to brings up the 'traditional' 2D move tool icon, select the text and drag it up into the upper portion of the document. This allows you to move the view of the 3D scene elsewhere on the canvas without changing any of the camera view coordinates.

If my explanation above still confuses, ask again. This is really something better shown them described, but I don't have a video pointer or screen capture setup right now.

regards,

steve

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: 3D in CS6
                      SPANIELS Level 1

Thanks for the advice it has been really useful. I think I can work around it now knowing a bit more about how it actually works.

Once again thanks for the advice,

Paul

• 8. Re: 3D in CS6
                        SPANIELS Level 1

Thanks for the advice, I feel that I can work around the issue now I know a bit more about it.

Once again thanks for the advice,

Paul