2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 10:03 PM by flyingfish4

How Long Is Too Long?

flyingfish4

I have a Premiere Pro CS6 project that I'm using to test some audio equipment and 3 of the sequences are getting very long.  One is 5 1/2 hours, one is 3 1/2 hours, and one is 2 1/2 hours.  There are another 15 or so that are just several minutes.

There are 530 clips in the Project Panel, most of which are about 30-90 seconds.

I'm having long startups when I open the project, capturing HDV through Firewire takes about half as long as the length of the clip, and importing anything takes 30-60 seconds.  The screen turns white and PPro says "Not Responding". 

Can long sequences cause this to happen?

Drivers updated and PC is tuned real well.  Windows Experience is 7.6.

My specs:

i7 2600K (8 virtual cores)

16GB RAM

850 Watt PSU

NVIDIA GTX 470

System Drive is 120GB SSD

3 drives used, all internal and plenty of space available, set up as Harm specified on Adobe Forums.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How Long Is Too Long?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The screen turns white and PPro says "Not Responding".

This is a Windows message, not a PR one. With around 12 hours of source material the PC may get a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material. This may be aggravated by background services and processes. Has the system been tuned to minimize the number of services and processes? When using Task Manager or Process Explorer, are the number of running processes less than say 50?

Are all the source materials on the same disk and are all the media cache files on a single disk as well? In that case it may be worth to investigate a raid configuration with so much material. Turning off Aero, hibernation, sidebar, MSN, and other crap may help reduce the system overhead.

• 2. Re: How Long Is Too Long?
            flyingfish4 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Harm.

Are all the source materials on the same disk and are all the media cache files on a single disk as well?

C Drive - 120GB SSD - Has Master Collection, Windows, and all programs on it.  40GB available.

E Drive - 3TB Barracuda - Media and Project Files.  1.5GB available.

F Drive - 1TB Barracuda - Media Cache and Media Cache Database.  750GB available.

Turning off Aero, hibernation, sidebar, MSN, and other crap may help reduce the system overhead.

Did these already.

This may be aggravated by background services and processes. Has the system been tuned to minimize the number of services and processes? When using Task Manager or Process Explorer, are the number of running processes less than say 50?

I've followed your's and Bill G's (from Geekbench) and the other guy on the web's directions with these, but the lowest I can get Services down to is about 63 at startup, and when PPro and other programs run, there's typically about 73 to 90 running.  I just can't seem to get them as low as 50 or 60.  I do wish there was a Microsoft or other in-depth explanation of exactly what each Service does.  Some of the explanations given leave me in the dark as to what they really mean.

Is there a way to right click a clip in the Project Panel to see where all the instances of that clip are used in which sequences?  That's one of the reasons my sequences get so long.  I can't quickly find clips in the sequences, so I'll just type search terms in the Project Panel and it'll find the clips I want, and I'll just pull them into the end of the sequence to compare them to other clips.  If there's a way to quickly find clips in the sequence, that'd probably help me keep the sequences shorter.

Is 530 clips a lot for a project?

If the sequences are shorter, would that take a load off?

Is there a limit on these anyone can throw out that would be workable with my spec's?

I forgot to mention that none of this happens when I start a new project.   Capture, importing, and starting the project all happen within seconds. 

Also, I've imported 5 other entire PPro projects, sequences included, but they are smaller than this project.

Does importing entire projects into an existing PPro project slow things down?

Thanks again!

Message was edited by: flyingfish4 on Tue. Sept. 12, at 12am.