8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 1:54 PM by JEShort01

GTX680M

John_Fletc

Hi !

I read in the update 6.0.2, the GTX680 graphic card is enabled.

But does it mean that the GTX680M (the laptop version of this card)

will working too for GPU acceleration ?

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/09/premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-2-update-hidpi-for -retina-display-bug-fixes-and-new-supported-gpus.html

• 1. Re: GTX680M
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Only if one applies the 'hack' by adding an 'M' behind the 680 text in the cuda_supported_cards.txt file.

• 2. Re: GTX680M
            John_Fletc Level 1

You mean adding the line on the config files ?

Ok... but, I read (before the 6.0.2 update) that it will not be enough,

because Adobe need to configure other things inside the render engine.

So, to be clear, now that GTX680 is officialy enabled, the GTX680M will work also

for GPU acceleration, and we just need to modify the config file to allow Premiere to work with it ?

It's just to be sure, because I'm about to buy a laptop, and I don't want

to spend more than a GT650M if the GTX680M won't accelerate nothing....  ; )

• 3. Re: GTX680M
              KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to hardware forum

• 4. Re: GTX680M
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John the file you have to modify is a simple text file that is "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file   You should have no problem with the GTX 680M and you might be much more pleased because it guarantees that you will have GDDR5 memory.  The GT 650M allows the laptop manufacturer to install either cheap DDR3 or the much faster (more expensive) GDDR5 memory and the GT 650M has fewer CUDA cores.

• 5. Re: GTX680M
                  John_Fletc Level 1

Thank you to you both for your help.
                  So, I'll take the GTX680M.  ; )

• 6. Re: GTX680M
                    JEShort01 Level 4

John,

The GTX 680M should be a good laptop GPU for Premiere Pro and the tips above will allow you to have the software recognize it.

I only want to make a comment regarding how in your post you state that the GTX 680M is the laptop version of a GTX 680. The GTX 680 and GTX 680M are actually pretty different beasts. In fact, even the GTX 670 (desktop card) is significantly faster than the GTX 680M (laptop gpu); check out nVIdia's site for specifications if you want the details.

So why does nVidia name them this way? I can't say for certain, but my guess would be that it is for marketing reasons.

BTW, Intel plays some similar games; i5/i7 mean one thing for their desktop CPUs, but something pretty different for their laptop counterparts.

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: GTX680M
                      John_Fletc Level 1

Thanks for the clarificaton... I didn't knew about that.

I thought the GTX680M was a GTX680 with the same architecture,

but build diferently to fit into a laptop... but not a light version of the GTX680 !

So I think, if it's the biggest graphic card I can use in laptop, and the result are "poor"

maybe I have to had more CPU power, and memory... but will it make a real difference between

16Gb to 32Gb and few hertz more ?

Premiere can use all this ressources at its full power ??

My laptop will be a Clevo 15,6", with :

- i7-3610QM (2,3ghz) or 3820QM (2,7ghz)

- 16 or 32 DDR3 memory

- GTX680M

- 128Gb SSD for OS and soft

- 64Gb mSATA SSD for temporary files

- 1Tb 5400 hard drive for work files

And.... I'll (hope !!) use it for quick edit, and small grading, for R3D footage during my travels.

• 8. Re: GTX680M
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Awesome laptop, but poor drive choices IMHO for PPro CS5+.

How about:

2x7200 rpm drive RAID 0 for Premiere file (media, projects, export, etc.).

If you want even more performance, you can add external drives.

It is well documented here, SSDs are not very effective for Premiere work.

Regards,

Jim