12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 6:01 PM by Chris Cox

Unknown Graphics Processor Error

Jane Fiala Level 1

When I try to use the Oil Paint Tool, I get the above error.  There is a strange history here.  Several months ago when I had this problem, I read and followed the advice given in an earlier forum, and downloaded the ATI driver Tool and updated my drivers.  I was then able to use the Oil Paint Tool for quite some time.  Then I had to have the hard drive replaced.  After downloading CS6 again, I had the same issue.  So I went through the same process with the ATI driver tool, but this time it doesn't work.  I have a Dell 1569 with Intel HD Graphics card which is supposedly up to date.  Can you think of anything else that I might do?  thanks, Jane

• 1. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
          Curt Y Level 7

CS6 requires a lot more of the graphics card than CS5, especially in oil paint and liquify.  Intel onboard chips are just marginal.

Do you have an ATI graphics card in addition?  If so you may need to unistall the old ATI driver and install the new one from the ATI site, not Dell or MS.

If you have both ATI and Intel be sure to disable Intel as PS works with just one card.

• 2. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
            Jane Fiala Level 1

I only have intel. But, it's curious that oil paint worked before, but now doesn't. Disappointing. The only reason i upgraded was to use oil paint.

Sent from my HTC Status™ on AT&T

• 3. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
              Curt Y Level 7

magicshell wrote:

So I went through the same process with the ATI driver tool, but this time it doesn't work. 

I have  Intel HD Graphics card which is supposedly up to date. 

These two statements says to me you must have an ATI card and an Intel graphics card.  What am I missing?

• 4. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                Jane Fiala Level 1

I downloaded the driver tool off the ATI site.  It diagnosed which Intel drivers needed updating.  I don't have an ATI card.  I have an Intel (R) HD graphics card.

There are two lines (from the scan) which don't seem to download:  Intel (R)5 series/3400 series Series Chipset family PCI express root port1-3B42 and  Intel (R)5 series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller-3B30.  I don't know what those two mean if anything.  I'm not a techie, so don't understand if I need them.  Besides they don't seem to download, anyway.  Hope I'm not screwing things up worse than they already were.

J

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:40:43 -0600

To: janewoodenhorse@msn.com

Subject: Unknown Graphics Processor Error

Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error

created by Curt Y in Photoshop General Discussion - View the full discussion

magicshell wrote:  So I went through the same process with the ATI driver tool, but this time it doesn't work.   I have  Intel HD Graphics card which is supposedly up to date.   These two statements-342 says to me you must have an ATI card and an Intel graphics card.  What am I missing?

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4691393#4691393

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4691393#4691393. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop General Discussion by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                  Curt Y Level 7

Not sure what an ATI driver tool would be for an Intel card.  GPU drivers are specific to the make/model number.  So for you would have to go to the Intel website and look for model number and see if there is an update.

Not knowing what you have done it might be best to uninstall the driver and start new.

• 6. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                    Jane Fiala Level 1

I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions?

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:49:51 -0600

To: janewoodenhorse@msn.com

Subject: Unknown Graphics Processor Error

Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error

created by Curt Y in Photoshop General Discussion - View the full discussion

Not sure what an ATI driver tool would be for an Intel card.  GPU drivers are specific to the make/model number.  So for you would have to go to the Intel website and look for model number and see if there is an update. Not knowing what you have done it might be best to uninstall the driver and start new.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4691545#4691545

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4691545#4691545. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop General Discussion by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 7. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                      Curt Y Level 7

Try this link http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Also, turn off your auto response so we do not see your e-mail (opens you to spam) and a repeat of answer and other stuff that adds bulk to post.

• 8. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                        Jane Fiala Level 1

It appears that the graphics card that I have is specifically designed for my machine and I'm not able to use the download from Intel.  It's not compatible.   I have to say that I couldn't be more disappointed especially because I was using the oil painting filter previously before my hard drive crash.  I don't know why I'm not able to remedy this.  Is there no patch from Adobe?  I've been looking around the web and there are many people in my same predicament.  I'm very upset about this.  Seems there is no help anywhere.  Total waste of money!!!

• 9. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

I think it's amusing that you had it working prior to whatever went wrong, and now it's not - yet you expect a patch from Adobe.

Is there a reason you didn't make system image backups and a System Repair disc for your system?

This is one reason why one shouldn't buy a laptop for running Photoshop.  There are restrictions in performance, restrictions in display quality, restrictions in what drivers you can use...  Restrictions, restrictions, restrictions - not a good environment for state-of-the-art graphics software.

I hate to mention the obvious, but did you visit Dell.com and look for the latest drivers there?

-Noel

• 10. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you have a Dell, I would go to their Web site, and look for any updated drivers for that Intel HD chip. Dell (also HP, Lenovo, and some others) rewraps video drivers for their specific version of the chip/card. Now, while Intel makes great chips, their driver support has been horrible historically.

As Curt mentioned, Intel chips are OK for general computing, but not so good for advanced programs, like PS, Premiere, After Effects, CAD and heavy-duty 3D editing. They work fine for an e-mail client, or a Web browser, but fall short on many other things.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                              RehabZidan

The oil painting filter not working and I get this msg " the filter u were using encountered unknown graphic processor error that caused an unexpected exist check the manufacturer website for the latest software "

My laptop : Fujitsu Siemens

Product: ESPRIMO Mobile V6535     Identification number: YKLK052681

processor:  Genuine Intel(R) CPU 575 @2.00 GHz 2.00GHz

Graphic Drive: Mobile Intel(R) 4 series Express Chipset Family - and it's up to date

mmm.. So what should I do now?

• 12. Re: Unknown Graphics Processor Error
                                Level 7

First, make sure you have the 13.0.1 update installed.

Then go to Intel's website and get an updated driver.

If that does not solve the problem, contact Intel so they can get more information to fix the bug in their driver software.