8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 11:32 AM by Steve Werner

ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question

mentlity Level 1

I have a client who has an IdCS6 file he wants to have made into an epub. When doing an Id file from scratch and then converting to E pub is one thing but this id file has a lot of text and I see a lot of fonts as well which is probably why my ID6 crashes when I try to export to epub.

I tried to take the pages from the original and put them in the articles panel, before I export. I also tried to copy and paste two pages at a time into a new CS6 doc and create articles. When I export those I get an epub with no crash, I first notice that when I open the id6 file ( its from a pc , I'm on a mac  I get the fonts missing and find fonts I just ignore.

Is there a set way or procedure to follow when getting ID files that were made for print  or with a lot of fonts?

As for the export I did with only two copied pages, when I open in an epub editor I see there are at least 8 fonts and have to manually delete to try to keep the fonts down to 1 or two. A way to do this BEFORE exporting to epub would be nice

any help on doing this right?

Rd

• 1. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
          wjnp2000 Level 2

Hi,

First of all, you have to clean this file, it seems be corrupt. See the section Troubleshooting 101

Is there bookmarks in the text that come from word? Delete them you won't use.

Are you using paragraph styles? Or you change the font in paragraph styles? If don't see menu: "Type/Find Font...".

I use Times to serif fonts and Helvetica to non serif. Try use only just one type of font, Opentype (in mac is better) or Truetype.

What do you mean with "a lot of text"? More than a thousand pages? Is there many pictures inside?

So, divide the file in litle files that contains few pages and make a Book to export to epub.

Good luck,

Wagner

• 2. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
            mentlity Level 1

Thank you so much as what I do here will no doubt help in future when I recieve ID files and have to clean them up. I will look thru to see all the details you wrote and will get back to you.

thzx for the time

RD

• 3. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
              mentlity Level 1

Ok Turns out 3 missing font, substituted it for

no bookmarks as this is an ID6 file

no paragraph styles used

you wrote "So, divide the file in litle files that contains few pages and make a Book to export to epub."

how do I do this?

copy a few pages to a new doc and then what?

how do i add the others to merge?

??

RD

• 4. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
                wjnp2000 Level 2

Well,

Duplicate the file (save as) with another name.

Let's suppose a file with 300 pages. file1 "save as" to file2.

In the file1 go to page 151, and clean all the rest of the text and pages.

In the file2 go to page 150, and clean the text before the page 151 and delete the white pages.

Remember, delete pages don't clean the text, you have to delete the text too.

Create a book (File/New/Book...), give a name and add the file1 and file2, automatically, the pages are been renumerated.

Att.

• 5. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No paragraph styles?

You can forget all about getting a successful EPUB export without them.

Bob

• 6. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
                    mentlity Level 1

Ah I see a bit clearer now, I cleaned up the font then created a new digital publishing doc in portrait mode.

copied each page into a new doc and just added pages in the new doc.

Yes there are paragraph styles but they do not seem to convert over. In the orgianl ID doc if I select the entire page how do I get to see what style it is in as I see a list of styles in the doc but no highlite when I sect the elements on the page.

I created a small 3 page id file, is there a way to upload this so someonr can open?

RD

• 7. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
                      wjnp2000 Level 2

Did you ever read the Chapter about Styles from InDesign help?

http://helpx.adobe.com/en/pdf/indesign_reference.pdf

Read this chapter to get better than ID could do for you.

As Bob aswered, without paragraph styles, your epub won't be fine.

Regards,

Wagner

• 8. Re: ID CS5.5 or CS6 to Epub Question
                        Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Totally agree. You MUST use paragraph styles and character styles to work with EPUB export.