17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 11:10 AM by Hudechrome

Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?

LadyAmada

Hello,

I just received PS CS6 last week as a birthday gift from my Son.  I have a HP Pavilion laptop, with Windows 7 as the OS.  I have Elements 7 installed on this laptop.  Before I install CS6, I'd like to know about the Associations...  So, I have a few questions...

1 - When I install the program, can I do it without the Associations? I'd like to be able to continue using my Windows to open all my photos.

2 - Do I have to use the Bridge thingy to be able to use my PS Editor?

3 - Is it ok to have Elements 7 and CS6 in one laptop?

4 - How many computers can the CS6 be installed in?  I have 2 more laptops and I'm thinking of getting another one.

Thanks for your kind assistance!

Best regards

• 1. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can't suppress the associations stuff, but PS won't take over existing file types, so your JPGs or whatever should still open in Windows Image Gallery. Bridge is optional, not mandatory. It's not the same as the PSE Organizer. Eolements and CS products have nothing to do with each otehr nor do they care, so yes, they can coexist on teh same machine. The rest is your bog standard Adobe answer - 2 activations, 2 machines. Read the EULA.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

For what it's worth I never use Bridge, except to check things for this forum.

I use Windows Explorer, along with a codec pack to make thumbnails visible in Explorer for virtually every image type.   I find using Windows Explorer as the system integrator is far superior to using Bridge, as it works beyond just images and Photoshop.

You might want to do yourself a favor and get yourself a really good laptop with tons of storage, then get rid of the other laptops.  Maintaining Windows on multiple machines has the ability to take over your life and waste your time.  Quality, not quantity! 

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
              Curt Y Level 7

Mylenium wrote:

Bridge is optional, not mandatory.

I thought Bridge was part of PS and installed with it.   So not a separate program you can choose not to install or uninstall, at least without going into some fancy maneuvers.  Am I wrong with this thinking?

• 4. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                LadyAmada Level 1

Thanks for the quick answer, Mylenium.  I'm glad to know I do not have to install the Bridge thing.

I checked out the EULA link and couldn't find any reference as to how many computers you're allowed to install your PS to.

• 5. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                  LadyAmada Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

For what it's worth I never use Bridge, except to check things for this forum.

I use Windows Explorer, along with a codec pack to make thumbnails visible in Explorer for virtually every image type.   I find using Windows Explorer as the system integrator is far superior to using Bridge, as it works beyond just images and Photoshop.

Thank you, Noel.  You have no idea how relieved I am to know that installing Bridge is not mandatory.  I agree with you, I think Windows Explorer is perfect for the images in my Pictures Folder.

You might want to do yourself a favor and get yourself a really good laptop with tons of storage, then get rid of the other laptops.  Maintaining Windows on multiple machines has the ability to take over your life and waste your time.  Quality, not quantity! 

-Noel

Had to laugh with the "Quality, not quantity" saying.   You might be right.  This laptop (my HP Pavilion) has 4 GBs and it's upgradable to 8 GBs, which I'm thinking is the best thing to do, instead of getting yet another machine.

Thanks for your input!

• 6. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                    LadyAmada Level 1

Hi everyone,

Here again with an update and a few more questions...

I was able to install CS6 without any problems.  However, the program's Associations did take over my photos, but I was able to change that, except that now the icons are different from what I'm used to.  So I have some new questions for you guys....

1- Can I change the icons to what they used to be before the installation?  Now it's taking a long time for me to see my pic's icons. 

2- If there is a way to change the icons, can you show me how?

Aslo, when I was installing the program, I got an odd page that asked what I wanted to install (both options were already pre-chosen)

1,Adobe installation question.JPG

My laptop is 64 Bit, but I didn't know if I I should choose one instead of the other, so I just installed them both.  Now my computer is taking a really long, long time to boot up! 

A- Did both versions get installed? 

B- Should it only have been the 64 Bit?

C- If so, can you tell me what I should do next?  Should I uninstall the program and reinstall it again, choosing only the 64 Bit?

Thanks again for all your kind assistance.

Have a great weekend!

• 7. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are going better.

As for the two versions of PS (32-bit and 64-bit), the main reason for having 64-bit will be to take full advantage of your 64-bit OS, and the main reason for having the 32-bit version is to use 32-bit plug-ins. If you have the HDD real estate, there will be no problem having both installed. You can install your older, 32-bit plug-ins into that version, and use them.

If you have no legacy plug-ins, I cannot think of any reason to have both, but perhaps others will chime in with something that I have forgotten, or just did not know.

Good luck, and be sure to give your son a big thank you!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                        Level 5

You certainly don't have to use Bridge, but I don't think there's a way to prevent Photoshop's installer from installing Bridge.

Can you confirm this was the case for you too?

• 9. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                          LadyAmada Level 1

Bill Hunt wrote:

Glad that things are going better.

As for the two versions of PS (32-bit and 64-bit), the main reason for having 64-bit will be to take full advantage of your 64-bit OS, and the main reason for having the 32-bit version is to use 32-bit plug-ins. If you have the HDD real estate, there will be no problem having both installed. You can install your older, 32-bit plug-ins into that version, and use them.

Hi Bill!

Thanks for your input.  Now I understand why there were 2 versions of PS installed.  I do have some older plugins installed in my Elements, but I think I will just go back to the website where I got them and get some new ones for PS - that way everything is brand new.  And, yes, I do have the real estate for both of them.  yay! 

Good luck, and be sure to give your son a big thank you!

Oh, you're so kind.  I'm totally indebted to my Son for getting me on the photo editing train...   He's the one who gave me the Elements7 for Xmas on 2007.  I have learned a lot through that sweet program.  Now this amazing gift too, so yeah, a big thank you to my Son!!! 

All the best,

Amada

Message was edited by: LadyAmada

• 10. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                            LadyAmada Level 1

station_two wrote:

You certainly don't have to use Bridge, but I don't think there's a way to prevent Photoshop's installer from installing Bridge.

Can you confirm this was the case for you too?

Hi Station_two,

Yes, that is correct, there's no way to prevent PS from installing Bridge.  And, it seems like whether you use it or not, it all up to you.  I do not see myself using it either.

Have a good one!

Amada

• 11. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                              LadyAmada Level 1

Hello again,

I didn't know if I should start a new thread for this problem... (Admins - if you feel that this should be in another thread, please feel free to move comment.  Thx.)

A couple of days ago, after I fixed the Associations, I went ahead and opened my PS editor and created a small piece (probably less than 1 MB)  I saved the file the way I usually do when I work with Elements. 

When I went back to my pictures folder my piece was ok, but the PSD file had been changed to a PSE file!  I had been stressing out about some stuff, so I just left it alone.  The next morning I tried opening the file... everything looked ok, but it didn't allow me to do anything to it. So I closed it down and then tried to change the file back to PS, with the "Open with" option.  When I opened PSD it was totally frozen! couldn't click on anything, nor shut it down, the blue thingy was just turning around and around.  So, I had to force-quit my laptop.

I waited a couple of minutes and restarted the computer.  Windows opened right into the PS editor which was still frozen! with nowhere to go, I just closed it again and put the laptop away for a couple of hours.  I used my other laptop to do some stuff I needed to do.

Yesterday I tried calling Adobe Customer Support and the auto system said the wait was 1 hr and 45 mins long, so I opted for a chat.

I connected with one of the Reps there who told me to open the file and yep!  it froze up again!!  So had to force-quit and lost the connection.  I went back again and chatted with another Rep.  We went back and forth for almost 2 hrs and he had me do a bunch of stuff and we finally got the PS editor to open without freezing! 

I know this is getting a little long, but please, bear with me.  So now that PS was working again, I decided to make another piece (for a group I belong to, where we have challenges with photos, etc.) Since I still don't know much about PS I just made a very simple piece, a couple of layers and a couple of textures.  I saved the piece and saved the PSD file. 

Sure enough, when I checked my pictures folder, the PSD file had been changed to PSE!!  I took a Snip to show you guys...

1,Adobe prob w PSD file, 9-17-12.JPG

So, what do you guys think? 

1- Is it possible to have my PSE files open ONLY as PSE?

2- Is it possible to have my PS cs6 files opena ONLY as PS?

I'm so hoping to get this issue resolved... I have been stressing out so much over this...  I have some PS classes lined up, but I can't take them until this problem is solved.  So, if you know how this could be fixed, could you please show me? 

Thanks so much, guys and gals,  I truly appreciate your kind assistance.

All the best,

Amada

Message was edited by: LadyAmada

• 12. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                                Hudechrome Level 2

PSE is the Elements association, correct? If you aren't needing Elements at the moment, you might consider uninstalling it and see what happens.

• 13. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                                  Level 5

LadyAmada wrote:

...Yes, that is correct, there's no way to prevent PS from installing Bridge.  And, it seems like whether you use it or not, it all up to you.  I do not see myself using it either.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Just for the sake of thoroughness, I'll clarify that I do use Bridge all the time.  It is the first Adobe application I open, and it is always running on my computers whenever I'm logged in.

• 14. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                                    LadyAmada Level 1

Hudechrome wrote:

PSE is the Elements association, correct? If you aren't needing Elements at the moment, you might consider uninstalling it and see what happens.

Hi Hudechrome,

Thanks for your input.  I love my Elements!  I will keep it around until I learn PS.  I may even keep longer than that, as I have the real estate in my laptop for both programs.

Amada

• 15. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                                      LadyAmada Level 1

That's great, Station_two, I'm glad that you can use Bridge all the time.  If it's working for you, then kudos to you. 

Amada

• 16. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                                        LadyAmada Level 1

Hi everyone, I have an update to the PSD vs PSE problem above..

Yesterday (9-19-12) I had a really nice surprise.  Had a call from one of the Adobe people who wanted to know if I was still having the problem with Photoshop and he said that we could connect via Remote Viewing.  Of course, I said yes.

Long story short... I had a Remote / Chat session with the same Adobe person who helped me a couple of days ago.  He was really kind and patient with me while he explained how PS and PSE formats work.  He explained that even though PS and PSE programs can be in the same computer, the files can only be saved in one format - either PS or PSE.  I started feeling like there was still hope for me... 

He was brilliant!  He showed me how to create a file on PSE and then open it in PS and all my stuff was in there! layers, textures, etc. and vice-versa.  I practiced breefly, creating a small piece in Elements while he watched to make sure that I understood what he was showing me.  Then I opened it in PS and finished it up, with no problem!    So, I'm happy camper again!  I understand things better now.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who shared your input and suggestions, I really appreciate it.  I may have to come back with questions, but I know that there are some very bright, smart and kind people here who are always willing to help.  Thank you again!!

All the best,

Amada

• 17. Re: Can I install PS CS6 without Associations?
                                          Hudechrome Level 2

Nice ending, for a change!

Thr reason I asked you to uninstall Elements was only to see if a conflict exists. However, it seem you have it solved.

I also use Bridge almost exclusively, even though I also have Lightroom available. I've tried Noel's recommendations as to seeing thumbs that explorer won't ordinarily show, and they work, but the data that is presented in Bridge is vital to my working, as is the routine uploading files from the acmera/card is seamless with Bridge.

Lawrence