• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Size for Keyword Index

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2008 Feb 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to make the font size bigger for the index is this possible? Additionally I would like to collapse the index down to its parent level to reduce the room that i ma using and to make it easier to find things. Anybody got solutions?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Tide88
I would like to make the font size bigger for the index is this possible?

Indeed it is but how you achieve this depends on your output format.

With CHM file output this is controlled from the SSL Properties. Just right click on your SSL and select Properties. In there click the Advanced button which reveals all manner of interesting stuff connected with the TOC and Index. One of these is a Select Font button that can be used to control the font size and format.

In Webhelp this is controlled by your skin. Look in the Navigation tab and down the bottom is a Font button. Click that and once again you can control the font size and format.

quote:

Additionally I would like to collapse the index down to its parent level to reduce the room that i ma using and to make it easier to find things.

Unfortunately this is where your luck runs out as I am not aware of any way to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Tide ---
(Couldn't resist.)

Additionally I would like to collapse the index down to its parent level to reduce the room that i ma using and to make it easier to find things.

I don't understand this. Do you mean you would like to have the Index pane empty until you type something to find?

The Index pane still would occupy the same space. And what could be easier than typing a few letters?

Scrolling is a pain, if the Index is really long. That's where Search comes in handy.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Harvey and Colum, as I read this, I'm understanding that Tide has an Index that consists of Primary and Secondary keywords. Tide doesn't much like the presentation, in that the Secondary level keywords are “expanded”, and wants a way to collapse them and essentially hide them from the user's view until they perhaps click a plus symbol to expand and show them.

Tide, if I'm correct here, there is a similar thing you can accomplish. Basically, what you do is to remove the Second level keywords. Then where you have the Primary keywords, associate the topics that the Second level keywords were assigned to. After you Compile or Generate, the user clicks the Primary level keyword and instead of expanding to reveal the Second level, they are presented with a popup displaying the associated topics.

Harvey, you said: Scrolling is a pain, if the Index is really long. That's where Search comes in handy..

There really should be no need to ever have to scroll the Index. This is because as your user types, the Index should automagickally “scroll” to adjust and match as closely as it can, the letters you have typed. Often, you never have to type out the full term. You type a few letters, see the term and click it. Whoosh! Off you go to the topic!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks HKabaker I am using FlashHelp and neither of those suggestions seem to align themselves to thos solutions. Of course I could be missing it.

Any suggestions on how to change the font size in the keyword index while using FlashHelp as my primary SSL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Captiv8r on your reply your assumptions are all correct... but (there always a but). Let me try to expand what I am trying to do so that it might help clarify.

I have 100 contracts each contract has the same sub categories (departments) and each department has the same roles. It looks like this

Contract 1
-Reservations
---Frontline
---Managers
---Leadership
-Transportation
---Frontline
---Managers
---Leadership
Contract 2
-Reservations
---Frontline
---Managers
---Leadership
-Transportation
---Frontline
---Managers
---Leadership

So the topic I align to Contract 1, Transportation, Frontline will not be the same topic that align to Contract 2 Transportation, Frontline. They will have different contractual obligations BUT they will be called the same thing. Otherwise I will have 1000's of differently name titles and know will know what it is we are communication to them.

So I would like to collapse the index down to it's parent level so that as a user I now that I only need to look into Contract 2, Transportation, Frontline to find the titles that apply to me. If I search for it I will find 75 titles that all have similar names but I still won’t know which one applies to my contract.

I hope this clarifies a bit.
Text Contract 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I agree the fastest way to use the index is typing a few letters and having the focus jump down to the first word that matches.

Then, too, some people like to browse the index

--if they don't have the slightest idea what to type, or
--to explore the project's contents (even with a good TOC on another tab), from a nitty-gritty point of view.

Your idea of streamlining access to secondary entries might be helpful, since the eye can scan a straight column more easily.

Of course, some people like to scan complex indexes. Probably they are those who like to build indexes (no offense intended).

Best,
Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Tide,

I don't know how the FlashHelp index owrks, but you could have 100 Contract entries, each with a link to six locations. Topic titles or bookmarks would have to be something like this:

Reservations for Frontline
Reservations for Managers
Reservations for Leadership
Transportation for Frontline
Transportation for Managers
Transportation for Leadership

or
Reservations for Frontline (Contract 1)
Reservations for Managers (Contract 1)
Reservations for Leadership (Contract 1)
Transportation for Frontline (Contract 1)
Transportation for Managers (Contract 1)
Transportation for Leadership (Contract 1)

These titles would not be visiible in the index until you click a Contract and see the popup list.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp