1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 2:13 PM by Stephen_Spider

CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor

Noberto.Clarkos Level 1

Hey all,

I am editing a multi-camera piece in my sequence and using the multi-cam monitor to see the other angles. The only thing is that I can only get realtime playback on the preview window and not in the multi-cam window, it only updates in the multi-cam window once playback has stopped.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong ?
          It's probably both, i.e. it's normal when you're doing something wrong...

If mentioned 'preview window' is the Program Monitor, you shouldn't operate its Play button while editing a multicam sequence. You should use the one within Multi-Camera Monitor pane...

If that's not what you're doing, you should explain your workflow with a bit more details.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
            Noberto.Clarkos Level 1

I am asking if it is normal to not have real time playback on the multi-camera monitor so I can view 2 video tracks simaltaneously. I am viewing video 1 on my preview monitor and on the multi-camera monitor I have selected video 2. I can watch video 1 and video 2 is frozen until I stop playback then it catches up to the most recent frame that the scrubber bar is now on? I am struggling to think of how else to explain myself. I want to see video 1 & 2 played at the same time, in sync with each other, not have one play and the other not then catch up when I stop playback on my sequence.

And yes sorry, when I say preview I mean program monitor.

• 3. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

1. Multi-Camera Monitor consists of two parts: camera angles previews on the left side and the resulting preview on the right side of the pan. When you hit Play button in Multi-Camera Monitor pan, you can see real time playback of all your camera angles and the resulting sequence preview within this pan, whereas Program Monitor is frozen and updates once you hit Stop.

2. When you hit Play button in Program Monitor pan, you can see real time playback of the resulting muticam sequence, whereas everything, including camera angles, in Multi-Camera Monitor is frozen until you hit Stop in Program Monitor.

3. When you scrub the playhead, irrespective of where it is: in Program Monitor, Multi-Camera Monitor or the Timeline, - you can see updates everywhere (real time or not, depending on your machine).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                Noberto.Clarkos Level 1

1. Multi-Camera Monitor consists of two parts: camera angles previews on the left side and the resulting preview on the right side of the pan. When you hit Play button in Multi-Camera Monitor pan, you can see real time playback of all your camera angles and the resulting sequence preview within this pan, whereas Program Monitor is frozen and updates once you hit Stop.

I have that, 2 screens but they both show the same track. When I hit play on the multi-cam monitor I get real time playback of 2 screens showing the same angle.

2. When you hit Play button in Program Monitor pan, you can see real time playback of muticam sequence, whereas everything, including camera angles, in Multi-Camera Monitor is frozen until you hit Stop in Program Monitor.

Yes that is what I am saying, when I hit play on the program monitor,the multi-camera monitor is frozen but then catches up when playback stops. The opposite happens when I hit play in the multi-cam monitor, the program monitor freezes and then catches up when playback stops.

3. When you scrub the playhead, irrespective of where it is: Program Monitor, Multi-Camera Monitor or the Timeline, you can see updates everywhere (real time or not, depending on your machine).

Everything updates but there is some lag which isn't significant enough to bother me. I have been scrubbing using the timeline but that isn't the issue. I am asking if it is possible to view 2 different video tracks in real time. I am unable to do that.

• 5. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If your Multi-Camera Monitor shows just two screens, I'm afraid your multicam workflow is a bit wrong. You probably didn't nest the sequence with different camera angles into a master muticam sequence, and, therefore, can see just one camera angle along with the resulting view of your 'multicam' sequence...

In other words, when you created a sequence out of different camera angles, synchronised clips etc. etc., you need to nest this sequence into another one - a master (or a target) sequence. See this help section on multicam editing.

• 6. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                    Noberto.Clarkos Level 1

Right okay, I understand that. There lies my problem. I didn't realise I had to create a nested sequence to use multi-camera properly. Makes perfect sense though once you see the correct way!

Thanks so much for your time and patience!

• 8. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                      iLink Media

I'm having the same problem in Premiere 5.5.  I'm editing a 4 track multicam shoot.  One line cut and 3 isos.  I've built a master timeline with all four tracks synced and then nested it into a sequence that I enable multicam on.  When I open the multicam window and start running the timeline it plays fine for about half a second then the video starts locking up on both the program screen and the 4 way split.  After about another second both screens freeze completely and only update to the current frame when the playback is stopped. 

I don't think it's a matter of system resources as I'm only showing a 25% hit on my CPU (core i7) and only a moderate hit on my 16gb of system memory. 

Suggestions?

• 9. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If you have the same issue, you already have the answer: check your multicam workflow, Program Monitor and Multi-Camera Monitor do not play in sync unless you're scrubbing the timeline.

If you don't have an answer, then your issue is probably not the same (at least for me it's not clear, what you are doing and what you expect to see: whether you expect Multi-Camera Monitor and Program Monitor playback the timeline in sync, or you hit Play within Multi-Camera Monitor and it plays back just for about half a second and then freezes, or you're scrubbing the timeline and expect real time playback, or something else...).

• 10. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                          Stephen_Spider Level 3

Could be over taxing your hard drive? I can do 4 angles of cannon .mxf  1080 anamorphic and AVCHD 1920x1080  with gpu accelerated fx on each track.

CS5.5

Core i52500K

dedicated 7200rpm media drive

16gb ram

gtx 560 1gb

• 11. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                            iLink Media Level 1

OK... let me be clear based on the above issue and my interpretation of what the original poster was trying to say... I have a four way split showing all my tracks on the left side (what I call preview) of my multicam window.  On the right side (what I call program) of the multicam window I have the program or output of hte multicam cut.  When I open the multicam window, behind it in the regular workspace are the original program/preview windows.  When I play the video in the multicam window I get the freezing issue while the program window behind it continues to play fine. 

What I expect to see is the multicam window playing continuously. 

• 12. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                              iLink Media Level 1

2TB USB3 hard drive - brand new.  There's only about half a TB on it.  I can't see how I'd be over-taxing it.  My only qualm about using USB was it's speed but I was assured that USB3 is actually considerably faster than eSATA so that's why I went with it.  I suppose I could dump everything into the system drive and try that. 

• 13. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Sorry, I can hardly explain it better: you can't see your multicam sequence playing back in both Multi-Camera Monitor and Program Monitor at the same time unless you're scrubbing the timeline... Press Play button within Multi-Camera Monitor window (or select Multi-Camera Monitor window first and then hit spacebar) so as to play your multicam sequence back in Multi-Camera Monitor. Sequence playing back in Program Monitor on a background indicates that you're not in Multi-Camera Monitor window... Otherwise I do not understand you completely...

• 14. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                  iLink Media Level 1

I am playing it in the multicam window. 

• 15. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If you hit Play within Multi-Camera Monitor and it freezes after about half a second, whereas the multicam sequence is mystically playing back in Program Monitor, - then sorry, I can't reproduce such PrPro behaviour.

If you hit Play within Multi-Camera Monitor and it freezes after a while, whereas Program Monitor is frozen as well, then your issue does not relate to the OP one, and possible causes may rooted in either your spec or footages you are editing. In this case you'd rather start a new thread with the comprehensive description of your issue, including all your spec and footages details.

If the issue is caused by footages, which are 'heavy' enough to play four of them in real time on your machine, try to transcode them into something 'lighter'.

• 16. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

on the left side (what I call preview) of my multicam window.  On the right side (what I call program)

Those aren't the right terms.  On the left you see the "angles".  On the right you see the "preview".  The Program Monitor is a separate thing and not part of the Multicam window.

With the Multicam window open, the Program Monitor will not update during recording or playback.  The angles and preview inside the multicam window should play fine.  Are you saying they don't?

• 17. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                        iLink Media Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

on the left side (what I call preview) of my multicam window.  On the right side (what I call program)

Those aren't the right terms.  On the left you see the "angles".  On the right you see the "preview".  The Program Monitor is a separate thing and not part of the Multicam window.

With the Multicam window open, the Program Monitor will not update during recording or playback.  The angles and preview inside the multicam window should play fine.  Are you saying they don't?

Well I guess I'm what they call old school.   In my world as sports truck Director and Technical Diretor, anywhere you see your sources before putting them to air is "preview" and anywhere where you see the output is program.  I'm not sure, though, why the industry has to reinvent the wheel and change terminology from what it's been for years.  Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

At any rate, to answer your second question... no they do not play fine in the multicam windows.  I do see all four sources in your "angles" pane on the left and the output in the "preview" pane on the right.  When I hit play in the multicam window they play fine for about half to one second both panes begin to intermittently freeze for about another second then they both freeze completely.  I can shuttle (scrub in your world) through the main sequence and the multicam window will play with some jerkiness but it's not stable enough to be useful.  If I hit play on the main sequence window both the program and the multicam windows will play but will do the same lockup thing after a couple of seconds. 

I'm just copying my project off of my external drive to the internal drive to see if that helps things out.  I'll update when that's done in an hour or so. 

• 18. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

What are the specs of the four media?

Also, which model i7 processor?

• 19. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                            iLink Media Level 1

Core i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

16 GB Ram

All four video sources are 1080i HD - all recorded on the same machine under the same HD spec. 

• 20. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                              iLink Media Level 1

OK as promised here's an update... I moved all of the project off of my USB3 drive (including all source footage, graphics, etc.) and on to the internal system drive. 

It made no difference in the freezing issue in Multicam.  So it would appear that USB transfer speed is not the issue. 

• 21. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

all recorded on the same machine under the same HD spec. 

What specs?  What codec?  What wrapper?  These things matter.

• 22. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                  wfmc staffer Level 2

What type of GPU is it using. It is a laptop, no?

Are you using MPE hardware or software acceleration? Open CL acceleration?

Have you tried lowering the preview resolution to 1/2 or 1/4?

I'm thinking that your gpu might overwhelmed.

• 23. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                    iLink Media Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

all recorded on the same machine under the same HD spec. 

What specs?  What codec?  What wrapper?  These things matter.

Recorded on a NewTek 3Play 425

1080i HD

MPEG-2 I Frame

I am not sure what codec they use but I have a support request in to them asking that question. 

• 24. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                      iLink Media Level 1

wfmc staffer wrote:

What type of GPU is it using. It is a laptop, no?

Are you using MPE hardware or software acceleration? Open CL acceleration?

Have you tried lowering the preview resolution to 1/2 or 1/4?

I'm thinking that your gpu might overwhelmed.

Dell XPS 17 (L702x)

Nvidia GeForce GT555M, with 3072MB dedicated memory

I have no idea on the acceleration issue and in multicam mode there is no option for lowering the preview resolution that I've been able to find. 

• 25. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                        wfmc staffer Level 2

Are you able to use MPE hardware acceleration?

• 26. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                          wfmc staffer Level 2

Information here about enabling your laptop to use MPE hardware acceleration.

CUDA Hack

• 27. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Try a test with only two angles.  Does it perform better?

• 28. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                              iLink Media Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

Try a test with only two angles.  Does it perform better?

That was one of the first things I tried.  No difference. 

• 29. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                iLink Media Level 1

wfmc staffer wrote:

Information here about enabling your laptop to use MPE hardware acceleration.

CUDA Hack

I went through the article and did the hack and it made no difference.  That said, overall Premiere does seem to perform somewhat quicker in terms of starting up and loading the project but I still get the lockup in the multicam monitor window. 

• 30. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                  Stephen_Spider Level 3

Did you change the projects setting to MPE hardware accelerated?

Project > Settings > General

• 31. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                    Stephen_Spider Level 3

What sequence preset did you choose? And if you just have a single unaltered clip on the timeline, is the there a yellow, red, or  no line at the top of the timeline window, below the frame meter line that looks like a ruler?

btw.. Had you aaded any video filters to the clips in the sync sequence?

Message was edited by: Stephen_Spider

• 32. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                      Stephen_Spider Level 3

Last bit of mojo...

Select about 30-40 seconds of each of your source clips and export them to:

Format  - MXF OP1a

Preset   -XDCAMHD 50 NTSC 60i

I'm thinking that the Newtec codec is funky.Try these XDcam clips in a new XDcam HD422 1080i sequence and in a resulting multicam sequence of the same settings.

There shouldn't be any appreciable loss in quality from pre-converting to the XDcamHD 50 if that rings the cherries for you.

• 33. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                        iLink Media Level 1

Project settings were changed to GPU acceleration. 

Sequence preset is Sony XDCam HD 1080i

No filters or effects added to the sequence at all. 

Line above the sequence is yellow.  Forgive my ignorance but what does that signify anyhow?  I get that red is unrendered and green is rendered but haven't had time to look up what yellow means. 

I was wondering about the NewTek codec myself.  I'll try the export and see what happens.  Update in a few moments.  I've got copies of this project running on two different machines now to try things out so while the copy is conforming the clips on this machine I'll run over to the laptop and try the export. 

BTW, thanks for taking the time to help me on this. 

• 34. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                          Stephen_Spider Level 3

Render Bar Colors  - link to info

Also, certain codecs are more readily editable, simply stated as formats with less compression and larger file sizes; they are less computationally challenging to deal with. In lots of those cases, there should be no render bar colors when a clip is placed in a sequence that matches the format, only adding colored render bars when an effect or transition is applied to the video.

• 35. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                            iLink Media Level 1

Thanks, Stephen, for sending that link along.  That cleared up one of the great Premiere mysteries for me that I never had time to look up. 

I really need to take a course in this.  I can jump on a half million dollar Kalypso production switcher without even blinking but this whole non-liner editing thing for me is mind boggling. 

I'm ready to bring back tape to tape 1" editing.  Or even better... quad! 

• 36. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                              iLink Media Level 1

OK, just finished the test with the MXF format.  The freezing in mutlicam did change but instead of locking up completely it looks like I'm only seeing about every fifth frame.  It almost looks like rolling video, though. 

The video quality is awful on the exported clips. 

• 37. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                                Stephen_Spider Level 3

wha....? I used the same format and my clips were great.

Alright, back to the originals. If you make a duplicate of your sych sequence, can you shrink each clip down in the motion settigs of the fx control tab, then fit all 4 clips on the program screen at once, then play them all at once on the timeline without freezing?

• 38. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                                  iLink Media Level 1

Stephen_Spider wrote:

wha....? I used the same format and my clips were great.

Alright, back to the originals. If you make a duplicate of your sych sequence, can you shrink each clip down in the motion settigs of the fx control tab, then fit all 4 clips on the program screen at once, then play them all at once on the timeline without freezing?

Just tried the four way split screen and it works fine with no freezing.  Still locks up in multicam. 

• 39. Re: CS5.5 Multi-cam monitor
                                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You don't have any effects like CC on these clips, do you?

1 2 Previous Next