3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2012 12:44 AM by Alan Craven

X79 RAID problems

MihailoR

From RAID to AHCI and back from AHCI TO RAID, without loosing any data or RAID setup and order anyone knows the answer.

If you move from RAID configuration to AHCI and when you try  to go back you loose all data and previous RAID configuration, did someone from Adobe or someone else tried this, and what is the solution.

During Bios update I have lost RAID it turned back to AHCI and I could not come back to RAID configuration, how can I do that and what else is there, all the data is lost without retreivining RAID configuration.

Motherboard is GYGABYTE UD5 X79 RAID controler is on motherboard.

Thanks in advance,

Mihailo

• 1. Re: X79 RAID problems
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not clear what the question is, but the answer is no. Removing a (software) raid array loses all data.

• 2. Re: X79 RAID problems
            JAKE JONSON Level 1

I believe you're referring to the fact that when you perform a BIOS update, the entire BIOS configuration is lost (including any overclocking and on-board RAIDs that you configured).  The good news, however, is (typically) that you can simply re-configure the RAID as you had it before and your data will be there just as you last left it.  However, that is assuming that the RAID BIOS specifically wasn't changed so much that it wouldn't be able to read its previous data layout on the array.  Good luck.

• 3. Re: X79 RAID problems
              Alan Craven Level 4

What you must do after flashing the BIOS, is re-boot and during POST press <delete> to enter BIOS setup. Select "Load optimized defaults" and press enter to load them.  This allows the system to detect all the peripherals.

Select "Save and Exit", then Y to save to CMOS, and exit BIOS.

DO NOT ALLOW WINDOWS TO LOAD!

Shut down and re-boot.  Enter BIOS again during POST and re-set your drive controllers to ACHI or RAID as appropriate.  Also make any other changes that you had before the new BIOS flash.

Now allow Windows to load and your RAID will be detected and the files will all be OK.

It is good practice to back up your data before starting the BIOS flash.