1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 6:42 AM by Steve Werner

Designing for Accessibility

joycegraff

I am trying to create accessible pdf from an InDesign original.  I have watched the videos and tried very hard, and it seems much easier to create accessible epub than accessible pdf.  Is there an interest group on accessibility? here or elsewhere? where I can talk with like-minded folks?

We publish a newsletter four times a year, 8 pages, 2 columns, pretty for print.  In the past we have also put all these articles on the web.

New management is asking us to publish "pdf only".  That is excluding all our print-handicapped users, of which there are many.  I am scrambling to product accessible pdf, and it is not easy.

Can I put "bookmarks" into InDesign that will be carried out into PDF so that I can use them as PDF Open Parameters?  I want to direct people to a specific article within the pdf file (say on page 5).  I see how to do it, but it seems you have to enter the bookmarks in the PDF file itself, after creating it.  This makes changes very awkward as all the PDF work has to be re-done every time you recreate the file.  If I could put them into InDesign and have them available to all formats, that would be wonderful.

Ideally, I would like to have an InDesign master from which I could extract to html, or pdf, or ebook, or Kindle, and carry all the tagging, table of contents, etc. in a logical reading order to the distribution format.

I would love to talk with someone else who is already doing this!

Thank you,

Joyce

• 1. Re: Designing for Accessibility
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can I put "bookmarks" into InDesign that will be carried out into PDF so that I can use them as PDF Open Parameters?  I want to direct people to a specific article within the pdf file (say on page 5).  I see how to do it, but it seems you have to enter the bookmarks in the PDF file itself, after creating it. 

You can use either generate Bookmarks in InDesign using the Bookmarks panel (Window > Interactive > Bookmarks).

Or, better, you can use the Layout > Table of Contents feature, and check Include in PDF (or some such) when you export the PDF. You'll have to read about creating a table of contents in Help or watch a video.

Remember, bookmarks are not the same thing as hyperlinks. Hyperlinks are found in the Hyperlinks panel.

It sounds like you're learning InDesign as you're doing this. You might get a book like Real World InDesign, or watch Lynda.com videos to help you with some of these techniques.

I don't know of an Accessibility interest group.

You should definitely watch these Adobe TV videos:

Preparing Accessible PDFs with Adobe InDesign CS5.5: Part I

Preparing Accessible PDFs with Adobe InDesign CS5.5: Part II