14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 6:57 AM by the_wine_snob Branched to a new discussion.

CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues

jefbak Level 1

photo.JPG

See that white screen and spinning blue ring? That is the story of my life using our brand new Windows 7 PC with Adobe Premiere CS6 since I have set it up and updated all products involved to the latest versions.

Let me get the usual up front things out of the way. I have been using Adobe Premeire since 1998. The othe Adobe production suite apps are running rock solid and Premiere seems to be the only troublesome app. I have updated Premiere with the latest updates. The Windows 7 Machine is more than up to spec with a fast processor, lots of ram and hard drive space and using a Nvidia Quadra 2000 card with 2 monitors connected using display port.

So, the freezes happen under kind of random circumstances as is often the case. In the case of the screen capture included here, I was copying the Motion effects from on clip on the timeline to another clip on the timeline. And it just froze, I couldn't force close it in this case (sometimes I can). Also just closing Premeire can take a longer than usual amount of time (sometimes minutes or just plain freezes for good) while startup is always quick. I mention this because the system is using an SSD/hard drive boot and progam setup (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) that I am using for the first time.

Since I just purchased this Dell system and software (production suite) I will probably end up calling Adobe, but before I go though all the hoops involved with a support call I would love any input or ideas for community first. Thanks!

• 1. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7

White screen is a Windows signal that the OS is busy. It has nothing to do with Premiere Pro. It is better to tune the system and removing/disabling all excess services/processes or improve the hardware.

• 2. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>more than up to spec

Please provide details... and go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and run it to see where you need help

Does your project match your video?

Read http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

• 3. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
              jefbak Level 1

I had not heard of the CS5 Benchmark (works for CS6 I guess?) was that just for windows machines (we have been using mac up until now)?

The project is AVCHD 720P30 as is all the footage from a Panasonic HMC-150 camera.

--

jefbak

• 4. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                Harm Millaard Level 7

It is only for Windows PC, not MAC. It is suitable for all versions CS5+, including CS6, of which there are currently 50 systems with CS6.

• 5. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                  Keith_Clark Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

White screen is a Windows signal that the OS is busy. It has nothing to do with Premiere Pro. It is better to tune the system and removing/disabling all excess services/processes or improve the hardware.

i was experiencing some extreme white screening this weekend with cs5. i could not figure out what the heck it was, found out it was a currupt video file. i had a sequence that had a lot of pngs at 4k rez, that i had to do some key framing with size, and the whole sequence was just ridiculous, so i exported out an intermediate to put in another timeline so i could review it with the other stuff, and not going so sluggish. when i exported the intermediate i had used dither desolve at the end of it. when i had imported the intermediate into the other sequence, and went to save it, white screen. i tried all day trying to do a simple export of the final timeline and every time i could try to make any change, white screen. i got the trial for CS6 just to see if that changed anything, still white screened. went back to cs5.5 and tried to export with AME, AME white screened! so i set it up to encode while watching the preview box and noticed right when the dither disolve started from the intermediate sequence, it white screened. so i went to the original sequence of PNGs, removed dither dissolve and used dip to black, exported that, put it in the other sequence, made more tweaks, then exported that as my timeline and worked great. smooth sailing from there.

my computer runs with about 40 processes in the background, the only startup utility is the clock, modem, and virus. thats it. it idles at about 10% ram, and all cores at about 1% so i would not necesarily chalk that up to windows.... or adobe.... i dunno. it was frustrating though, and i have never experienced that before.

• 6. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                    jefbak Level 1

Thanks I just downloaded the benchmark files. But I also just had a 3 minute hang adding a 2 sec cross dissolve to the end of a still image?!?

I know tweaking new systems can take a bit but the main reason we got this PC was because the Mac Pro is so in need of an update plus I wanted cuda support.

It would be nice to have premiere just work well out of the box just once. Ugh. I don't have time to tweak right now! CPU usage is low even when task manager reports premiere not responding. 16gb of ram and most of it is free. This is avchd footage on just one video later so it should be fine with it.

Is turning off the mercury engine the main tweak to try?

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I just purchased this Dell system

Most purchased computers come with a lot of garbage installed that you will never need on an edit rig, and it's not impossible for some of that crapware to be interfering with the smooth performance of PP.  The first thing you should have done is wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch - Windows, drivers, updates, and then install only the software you need for editing.  I still recommend going down that road.

• 8. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                        jefbak Level 1

It is a school purchased system so our it group does wipe and install a clean windows image install. From there I did my own updating and software installs which isn't to say there might not still be some kind of dell driver issue going on but all the other adobe apps in the production suite are working fine so far.

• 9. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

clean windows image install.

Hmmm.  That makes me suspect as well.  Personally, I always go back to the installation media rather than use an Image.  It takes longer, but it's always solved any issues I was having.

• 10. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                            jefbak Level 1

An actual cd install of windows is Not likely to happen in my work environment unfortunately but it is a dell 1650 precision tower and the specs are strong for the kind of video work I do. Nothing else is on it but the production suite which I installed. Not even antivirus at this point.

I'll see what the benchmark app says in the morning but I am kind of suspecting the SSD/500gb hybrid boot drive ad being an issue. The video files and projects are on a separate raid or course.

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                              jefbak Level 1

No luck with the final ouput from the ppbm5 benchmark. I got a VBS runtime error. But it did seem to run though all the test pretty quickly and with out any freezes.

Whick made me remeber that this particular project started out as a CS5.5 project and was converted to CS6 which might be causing some bumps in the road. I am going to create a new CS6 project and then import the CS5.5 instead and see if I still run into problems...

• 12. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... I just checked my notes file and do not have a saved link, but I do remember some past discussion of project problems when going between versions

I can't remember if the problems were ONLY project size bloating, or if there were other problems

I also can't remember if the problems were when going from CS5 to CS5.5 or from one of the CS5x versions to CS6

I do remember that the "general" advice is to finish a project in the version used to start the project... and then use CS6 for new projects

Added

Go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere and enter

project bloat

in the ask a question bar at the top... there are several previous discussions

• 13. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                                  jefbak Level 1

I agree about finishing on CS5.5 if possible but in this case I had to actually move it fro cs5.5 on our Mac to CS6 on the PC because we needed to edit two projects at the same time. I just got the white screen again by aciddently clicking on a blank area of the timeline (accidental click of the new and very sensitive mouse!). 3 minutes later the system returned to normal.

• 14. Re: CS6 Windows 7 Not Responding White Screen Issues
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you updated the video driver to the very latest, from the video card's mfgr's. Web site?

With a Dell, HP, or similar assembly-line computer, the video drivers might be re-written for their tweaked system, so I would also check the Dell site.

You mention that you have updated everything, but too often people will rely on their OS to tell them, if they have the latest video driver, and the OS is usually wrong by at least 6 mos. That is usually not recent enough. Go to the source there.

Good luck,

Hunt