10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 8:22 AM by Steve Werner

Rollover image in PDF

ebenpublishing Level 1

i hope i understand a term ROLLOVER the right way... i'm doing an interactive map in ID where i'd like to show some interesting places. i'd like to do that the way that when i cover the cursor over a button or some symbol i have created in the map, a linked image shows up in a new window within the PDF. is it possible to do that this way? thanks

• 1. Re: Rollover image in PDF
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want to create Show Hide Fields in InDesign using the Buttons and Forms panel (CS6) or the Buttons panel (CS5.5 and earlier). Read about it in InDesign help or Google "Show hide fields InDesign"

• 2. Re: Rollover image in PDF
            ebenpublishing Level 1

I have CS5. So I set the action of the button to open a file (jpg) when roll over-ed (event) but it doesn't work. Nothing happens when the cursor enters the button area. It doesn't even change into pointer, in preview (before exporting) it changes into pointer at least but in PDF not. Can it open jpg at all? Or just another pdf?

• 3. Re: Rollover image in PDF

Generally, Show Hide fields are used to show other buttons.

Place your JPEG file. Select it in InDesign. Use the Buttons panel to set it be a button. Choose to have it Hidden Until Triggered.

Set the Show/Hide button to show the other button (it's helpful to give buttons names).

Tip: You can use the Preview panel to try out the interactivity before exporting to PDF.

Do a search to look for a tutorial to help you with some of the other fine points.

• 4. Re: Rollover image in PDF
                ebenpublishing Level 1

thank you steve, i got as far as the moment when the image shows up when its corresponding button is rollovered, but the image stays displayed. i wanted the image to show  when rollovered and hide when you move the cursor away. i couldn't find any help or tutorial for this 

• 5. Re: Rollover image in PDF

In the Event popup menu for the button, choose On Roll Over, select the Action  to show the button you want. You can create a second event On Roll Off, select the Action to hide the same button.

I strongly suggest that you PAY for a book, or watch a video on Lynda. com. Not everything comes free.

• 6. Re: Rollover image in PDF
                    Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

I have designed the Indesign file and Interactive PDF , you can see the details in them :-

Check the Buttons panel for Actions and Layers panel for stacking order.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16243351/Untitled-2.indd

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16243351/Untitled-2.pdf

• 7. Re: Rollover image in PDF
                      ebenpublishing Level 1

thank you manish-sharma i'll just need to work on it a bit...

to Steve: thank you, too, really. you know, if I really needed I don't have a problem to pay for something what I would use regularly. this is just something what is not neccesary for me... In my country many people even haven' t bought ID legally, they have downloaded it ilegally, or other SW from Adobe... and I find them thieves, not only in relation to Adobe as a company but also to me - they practically steal  work from legal buyers of SW like I am and they claim themselves "professional designers", and unfortunately nobody is interested that with illegal SW...  that's just such a reaction to your capital-letter PAY. I really don't know how you meant it...

thanks again

• 8. Re: Rollover image in PDF

I'm speaking as an author and trainer.

When I work on a book that has a lot of information, I'd like people to pay for my book. If I authored a video like on Lynda.com (which I don't), I'd like people to pay for the video. I'd like people to pay to come to my classes.

In the world of the Internet and Google, people expect that they can learn everything from a free video tutorial. Often, if they spent just a little bit of money taking a class or reading a well-written book or watching a well-produced video, they'd learn much faster.

• 9. Re: Rollover image in PDF
                          kylepricedesign

Why do you bother responding to people asking for help if you are just going to get pissy about it?

• 10. Re: Rollover image in PDF

Well, generally, I try to stay even minded about such things. I genuinely like to help people. No one is paying me to help here.

I guess I just woke that morning with that feeling and it came out in my answer. Maybe my first cup of coffee hadn't kicked in. ;-)