5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 4:24 PM by Noel Carboni

How do I copy Camera RAW defaults to another computer?

b2martin_a Level 2

I use Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Camera RAW to process RAW files (D700).  I have ACR preferences set to make the defaults ASA specific, which means I have 41 defaults for ACR.  I have a folder of images shot with the D700 that includes one image for each ASA the camera can select when auto ASA is activated in the D700, that's where I get 41 ASA values.  I use the images in this folder to set a default for each ASA value and then select one at a time in Camera RAW and click to set a new default for ACR (Adobe Camera RAW).  These defaults are saved in some location on the computer, but I don't know where.  I would like to copy these saved defaults to another computer that is also running Photoshop CS6.  Does anyone know where the defaults are located, or is there a better way to accomplish this task?

• 1. Re: How do I copy Camera RAW defaults to another computer?
          Yammer Level 4

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Defaults

• 2. Re: How do I copy Camera RAW defaults to another computer?
            b2martin_a Level 2

Thanks for the input, this will make it much easier to keep my desktop and laptop in sync for Camera RAW.  If I copy the Camera RAW folder from the desktop to the laptop everything should be in sync. 

• 3. Re: How do I copy Camera RAW defaults to another computer?
              Noel Carboni Level 7

For reference, another way that doesn't involve finding secret folders is to start to open an image, choose Camera Raw Defaults, and just save the settings to a named file.  Load the settings into Camera Raw on the destination system after opening an image from the same kind of camera, then Save New Camera Raw Defaults.

Okay, so that's a bit convoluted. 

SaveACRSettings.png

-Noel

• 4. Re: How do I copy Camera RAW defaults to another computer?
                b2martin_a Level 2

If I understand what you said, I think this will only save RAW Defaults for that specific image conditions.  I have the RAW converter set to make it specific to image ASA and for the D700 it can set 41 different ASA values for the image.  I have 41 Camera RAW Defaults for the D700 and would like to transfer all to the second computer, that's the reason I am looking for options to accomplish this task. 

I have a folder with 41 D700 NEF files with each having a different ASA value.  I select this folder of images in Camera RAW, adjust each image to the defaults I want - the main difference is noise settings.  When I have the settings I want, I click the Done button.  I then open the images again in Camera RAW, select one at a time and select the "Save New Camera Raw Defaults".  Now when I open new NEF files for the D700 it will automatically apply the Default I want based on the image ASA. 

I currently copy the folder with the 41 images that was saved with the defaults I want and open them one at a time and save a new default on the second computer.  If I copy the "Camera RAW" folder it should give me all the same defaults, custom camera profiles, custom curver, settings, etc. 

I have not tried this yet, but if it works it will save a lot of time keeping the two computers in sync relative to these parameters.   

• 5. Re: How do I copy Camera RAW defaults to another computer?
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Yes, that would require a lot more operations to complete, since you've many defaults saved.  However it does mean you'll have the settings saved in separate files, named per your own thoughts, and which could be copied somewhere for safe keeping.

But yes, copying the contents of the folder will probably be a lot quicker.  I've done that myself when migrating from one system to another.

-Noel