13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2012 9:03 AM by FloridaG

Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only

FloridaG Level 1

i7 3930k, Win 7 64-bit, EVGA GTX 570HD (2.5GB version).   Everything is working correctly and stable (overall) . My one gripe is that when I toggle between CUDA MPE and software MPE, the software MPE is actually smoother in many cases. The CUDA is obviously working, but I get almost a slight shimmer running up the video (not tearing) , nothing terrible but certainly annoying. Its always about half way up the video where the shimmer starts and goes up to the top and disappears. Skipping through the video one frame at a time reveals nothing, its not in the source video, this has to do with decoding or aliasing.

It happens also at 100% pixel for pixel monitoring , I wanted to see if it was an aliasing issue, but the situation still occurs. Software MPE playback does not exhibit this glitch, so I've narrowed it down. The main question is are there NVIDIA settings in the control panel that may be not quite right? I've tried the defaults, and tweaked some of the settings, but there are a lot of options and I'm not sure which might effect the playback.

Seems to happen the most with H.264 canon files and some ProRes stuff I've imported, but then again turning off the CUDA MPE makes the problem go away....

Not a HDD or processor issue, those I've checked for certain.

I am running the new 6.0.2, but it happened before as well.

Already made sure the cores weren't parking, and they are all active....

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help !

• 2. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
          Jim_Simon Level 9
          Does anyone have any ideas?

If it's only happening inside of PP and doesn't show up in the exports, then don't worry too much about it.  The Source and Program Monitors are only for viewing content, you should never use them to judge quality.

• 3. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
            lasvideo Level 4

If you are using this in a professional editorial situation (paying clients, etc) I would say definately worry about and fix this. If you cant trust what you are seeing during an edit session in your NLE, you are in a world of hurt. Having to wait until you export something to find out if there are issues is no way to run an edit bay. 

• 4. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
              FloridaG Level 1

This is true, I am really only seeing it with the MPE hardware enabled, doesn't appear in final rendered movies. My source videos also playback correctly in apps like VLC, without the same issues and of course playing back with the same video card (but not using any kind of GPU).

This could be totally Nvidia, and I will call them to see if they have any ideas.

To make things more complicated, I also have a AJA Kona LHi, and Rovi TotalCode for Premiere Pro. Both of which I uninstalled to eliminate as possibilites.

AJA performance in PP6 for Windows is horrendous I'm sorry to say, a total wreck compared to Mac/FCP7.

This is mostly AJA's fault, as their card keeps loosing the settings (which they claim they are fixing) and Adobe plugins crash exiting After Effects (another bug they are working on).

I am going to reset all the NVIDIA settings, and try this again. But I have to wonder if there is something in the NVIDIA control panel that will alleviate this issue, or if those settings are not even honored by PP at all and this is a behind the scenese issue.

I am also running a Asus p9x79ws motherboard with PCI-e 3.0 slots , and my GTX 570HD is PCI-e 2.0, I am wondering if anything in the BIOS might be helpful since there are about a zillion settings in there.

• 5. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                lasvideo Level 4

FloridaG, I am now running Windows 7 on an HP Z820 with a Kona 3 and the GTX570. Id be glad to trouble shoot the shimmer problem if you can give me access to one of the H.264 files that you know is problematic. Given some of the similarities of our systems, this might reveal what is causing the problem at your end.

• 6. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                  FloridaG Level 1

Will do. The Z820's are sweet, but that was out of the budget. I ran this freeware utility to get all my cores "unparked" as well, as I had that same issue occur when I had update to 6.0.2.

The issue isn't always in the same place , it depends on how long the video is, and is therefore quite arbitrary. I wonder if this is caching related? But only affects the GPU enabled playback? That would be strange. I have the 2.5GB GTX570HD you would think that would do the job. Maybe I'm too picky, I dont know...

My last thing to try is unistalling my Xrite profiling/calibration software, to make sure this isnt somehow related to that app.

Should I give you a dropbox link? I can get you a file easily, any Canon H.264 file will do the trick if you dont have one. They all seem to do it. Even when I converted them to ProRes it still happens on the same file, but at different times. Certainly not to the exact moment in every case.

• 7. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                    lasvideo Level 4

I havent used Dropbox but Im sure I can figure it out. I have a fast cable modem (10MB/sec) so it should be pretty easy. Send me as many as you think is necessary to recreate the problem. BTW. I have the PNY version of the GTX570 which is only 1.2 GB .

• 8. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                      lasvideo Level 4

FYI, I just installed the free 2GB Drop Box.

• 9. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                        FloridaG Level 1

Hey I've been working on this with a few different systems as to try to figure out what is going on. First I am working on a Mac Mini 2011 i7 Quad with the crappy Intel 3000 low end 512MB graphics , and software MPE with the same H264 and ProRes files look flawless. Same with another PC Win7/64 HP Probook laptop I have, again with no GPU acceleration.

Last week I picked up Adobe PP6 classroom in a book and may have stumbled upon something. Maybe not.

Anyway on page 39, there is a paragraph on Maximum bit depth and Render quality settings, as specified in the sequence settings tab.

"If you enable Maximum Render Quality or if you have GPU acceleration, Adobe Premiere Pro uses a more advanced system for scaling images smaller. Without this option, you may see artifacts or noise in the picture when making images smaller. Without GPU acceleration, this option will impact performance."

Hmmmm... So I only see the "isssue" with the GPU enabled, and neither of those Maximum bit depth or Render quality options enabled on my projects. Yet without the GPU acceleration (MPE software only) and these options also not enabled, everything is fine (on my Mac Mini, my HP ProBook, and my PC where I am seeing the issue). This jives with my experience, so I am going to check those two options Monday when I get back to the office and see if that doesn't solve the issue. As if the preview monitors when GPU accelerated, almost default to a "draft" mode of rescaling/alising, this is perhaps what I am seeing. Blazing performance at the expense of a little image quality.

The computer is so understressed during H.264 playback, I'm seeing like 8% CPU total resource usage, that I can surely afford to crank up the quality and not see any kind of dropped frames. In fact when I view the 1080p @ half resolution, I still see the slight shimmer. And this is off an OCZ Vertex 4 via SATA 6g where I'm reading 450MB/sec without breaking a sweat.

• 10. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                          FloridaG Level 1

I believe I've finally got it.

When I originally setup the system I had gone into the Windows Control panel, selected Performance Information and Tools, Adjust Visual Effects, and had that set to "Adjust for best performance".

PP CS6 was giving me the ever so slight playback weirdness I had mentioned in my first post.

Today on a whim I noticed that by dragging around regular OS windows, that they moved, fast, but something wasn't 100% about the visual quality when I was moving around the OS.

I went it and se the Visual Effects, for Let Windows Decide whats best for my computer, unchecked the 3 fade options that are about 1/3 of the way down the list. Rebooted, fire up PP CS6, playback is flawless on everything I've thrown at it.

• 11. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                            lasvideo Level 4

Nice detective work. I checked my HP Z820 Window settings. Also set to Let Windows Decide.

• 12. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

If you cant trust what you are seeing during an edit session in your NLE, you are in a world of hurt.

I'm saying there is no "if".  You can't trust what you see in PP's windows.  That is not their purpose.

You need an external TV for accurate viewing, either via export or hooked up directly to PP.

• 13. Re: Slight glitches in Source/Canvas monitor with CUDA MPE only
                                FloridaG Level 1

In my case this is was purely an annoynace, it was nothing that would have prevented me from getting work done, but kind of screws with your eyes when trying to create selects and these types of things are (were) happening.

For monitoring I have a AJA Kona Lhi connected to an external 24" monitor via HDMI. I have calibrated the 24" monitor with Spectracal CalMan5 and the appropriate measuring equipment. It isn't quite a broadcast level display, but if I need one of those I can run that HD-SDI off the Kona as well. The calibrated monitor, its something like a Samsung 2490HD I believe (not in front of it right now) and it is a very good representation of how things will look broadcast on a typical TV. Actually since most people have their TV's setup all insane, even this isn't such a good litmus test but I digress...

The one thing I noticed a while ago but didn't pay much attention to was some utility I had run, I believe it was Passmark Performance Test, it mentioned (flashed a message)  that a certain graphics mode wasnt enabled. Perhaps this is what Premiere wasn't able to utilize? I don't know if was Aero related or what. I didn't pay much attention since I didn't think it would affect Premiere operation, but I was wrong