10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2008 2:28 PM by pixlor

Stretching bitmaps with fireworks

Leitzel
      Hi
      picture
      I have an image (that one is just an example i found on google) and i want to scretch the first 3 pixels to the left by 400 pixels. Is that possible with fireworks or do i have to use photoshop for that?
        • 1. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
          Level 7

"Leitzel" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fppe75$eft$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi
          > http://www.tydaniels.com/images/salt-lake-golf-sunset-large.jpg
          > I have an image (that one is just an example i found on google) and i want
          > to
          > scretch the first 3 pixels to the left by 400 pixels. Is that possible
          > with
          > fireworks or do i have to use photoshop for that?

Probably the easiest way to do this in FW is to create a texture with those
          pixels and apply it to a rectangle. But this is one of those rare things
          that Photoshop does better.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
            Leitzel Level 1
            Could you explain how that is working in Photoshop 6?
            I know how in CS2 but in Photoshop 6...
            • 3. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
              pixlor Level 4
              Your image is 700x350 and you want it 1100x350 with the first three pixels in the original image stretched into 403 pixels of the final. Sure. Fireworks can do that.

Two parts.

PART I) Make the 403x350 blur
              1) Open a copy of your original image
              2) Modify > Canvas > Canvas Size... ; set the width to 3 and anchor to the left (default anchor is center). This step crops off all but the first three pixels.
              3) Modify > Canvas > Canvas Size... ; set the width to 403.
              4) Select the bitmap and Modify > Transform > Numeric Transform...
              5) Select the Resize operation, deselect "Constrain proportions" and set the size to 403x350.
              6) In the Info panel, set the X position to 0 if necessary.
              7) Save this image (blur.png, perhaps?) and minimize.

PART II) Make the combination image
              1) Open a second copy of your original image
              2) Modify > Canvas > Canvas Size... ; set the width to 1100 and anchor to the right. This step adds space for the blurred image on the left.
              3) Select the blurred bitmap from the other image, and copy it.
              4) Paste the blurred bitmap into the expanded image. If necessary, set the x and y values to 0 in the Info panel.
              5) Save your result.

I know there are quite a few steps, but it's accurate and really quite easy. It definitely takes longer to type the steps than to do them. :)

• 4. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                Leitzel Level 1
                Wow thx alot that helped me. You must have needed a lot of time to find out that.
                But i have one more question, hope you can help me out once again.
                I have for example that image: http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5300/tested0.png

So my question is, i have that round image. And now i want to stretch the first 2 pixel from the edge of view. I hope you got my point, a bit difficult to explain
                • 5. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                  pixlor Level 4
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Leitzel
                  Wow thx alot that helped me. You must have needed a lot of time to find out that.

Sure! :) But it wasn't hard, I knew where I was going. It took more time to type that out than to do it.

quote:

But i have one more question, hope you can help me out once again.
                  I have for example that image: http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5300/tested0.png

So my question is, i have that round image. And now i want to stretch the first 2 pixel from the edge of view. I hope you got my point, a bit difficult to explain

Hmm...do you mean you want to have the left side of the image blue from the top down to the foot, then a bit of white, then red from there to the bottom? Do I understand that correctly? If so, then yes, this will be tricker to do. Lemme think about it. But please post back and let me know if I have that right!

• 6. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                    Leitzel Level 1
                    Hi, i made a picture to explain it further.
                    I made it only for the right side of the picture. It should be like the same on the left side. I think thats basically what you thought too.
                    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/125/testxw2.png
                    • 7. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                      pixlor Level 4
                      Okay! Gotcha.

I'll give it a go this weekend...I think I have an idea that might be workable, but still easy. I'll have to see if it works. Unfortunately, I'm on Vista, where the bitmap tools don't work unless I turn off Aero, so I'm going to see if I can figure out some other method.

• 8. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                        pixlor Level 4
                        Okay, I have a process for you to try. I got it to work, but I didn't have my selection perfect and I didn't want to start over so...

- Open the round image.
                        - Zoom in at least 400%
                        - Using the lasso selection tool, select the pixels on the right edge. I think you will want to be just inside the very outside pixels, as it looks like there's a dark halo. Also, you'll want to be careful to avoid the highlight. This is going to be the tedious part of the job.
                        - - Get the best selection you can.
                        - - You can hold down the shift key and select to add more pixels to the selection.
                        - - If you want to remove pixels from the selection, use Select>Select Inverse, hold down the select key and add to that inverse selection. Then inverse the selection again.
                        Once you have a good selection, save the file so you save the selection.

Now, copy and paste the selection, and move the new object away from the round image. (Maybe put it on its own layer and lock the round image.) Copy and paste again, then use the arrow keys to move the second pasted item over so it overlaps, but doesn't show any transparent pixels in between. Repeat until you have covered a good-sized area.

At this point, one thing you could do is group the shapes, copy them to a new image, and then crop a rectangular area. Export this as a .png to flatten, but not distort the colors. Open the flattened .png and then you can resize the shape wider and maybe apply a motion blur (Filters>Blur>Motion Blur..., set direction to 0).

Then, you can repeat the fun with the other side! :)

Other than the care in making the original selection, which is something you can tweak, I think these steps are fairly simple. Good luck!
                        • 9. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                          Level 7
                          Leitzel wrote:
                          > Hi
                          > http://www.tydaniels.com/images/salt-lake-golf-sunset-large.jpg
                          > I have an image (that one is just an example i found on google) and i want to
                          > scretch the first 3 pixels to the left by 400 pixels. Is that possible with
                          > fireworks or do i have to use photoshop for that?

Select the marquee tool and set the style to fixed size, 3 pixels wide
                          by 350 pixels high. Drop the marquee over the pixels you want to drag.
                          With the pixels still selected, click on the Scale tool and pass your
                          cursor over the rotation point in the center of the selection until you
                          get the double arrow cursor. Drag left. Deselect the pixels. Click in
                          the fill color box for canvas color. Select a color from the gold
                          section in the middle. That will get rid of most of the shadow line. Use
                          the smudge tool to touch up where necessary.

--
                          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                          --------------------------------------------------------------
                          http://www.projectseven.com
                          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                          --------------------------------------------------------------
                          • 10. Re: Stretching bitmaps with fireworks
                            pixlor Level 4
                            Linda,

Your answer is simpler than mine for the rectangular question. But Leitzel then came back with the same problem on a round image. Is there an easier way to handle that case than what I came up with?

I spotted a Photoshop tutorial that included using the single-pixel selection...but that's still on a horizontal or vertical line. *dreams* Wouldnt' it be cool to be able to make a single-pixel selection (or one of arbitrary width, I guess) along a vector path?

Thanks!

Lorraine