6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 11:00 AM by ssprengel

save Raw in JPEG format

aprildd007

I use PE9 and after editing a RAW file and I go to "save as" in the drop down box I do not have JPEG as a format.

• 1. Re: save Raw in JPEG format
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Are you opening your files in 16 bits/channel?

in Photoshop full version it's Image - Mode - 8 bits/channel. Not sure if it's in the same place in Elements.

I'm assuming it is still necessary in Photoshop Elements to change the image mode to 8 bits/channel to save a JPEG.  That used to be true in the full version of Photoshop, but they added a new convenience feature to make that unnecessary not too many versions ago.

-Noel

• 2. Re: save Raw in JPEG format
            Robert Shomler Level 4

Unless camera raw has changed I think this is a ACR in PE limitation: Save Image button in PSE saves only as DNG file type.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/814363?tstart=0

• 3. Re: save Raw in JPEG format
              aprildd007 Level 1

Thank you so much I'll try that as soon as I get home

Do you use elements and Lightroom is so what version of elements are you using. I just purchased Elements 9 a little over a year ago and now 10 is out just wondering if it's okay to go ahead and purchase lightroom before I get Elements 10.

April D. Doutt

• 4. Re: save Raw in JPEG format
                aprildd007 Level 1

Thank you so much I'll try that as soon as I get home

Do you use elements and Lightroom if so what version of elements are you using. I just purchased Elements 9 a little over a year ago and now 10 is out just wondering if it's okay to go ahead and purchase lightroom before I get Elements 10.

April D. Doutt

• 5. Re: save Raw in JPEG format
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

I don't use Lightroom, but I understand the new version has some slowness problems so definitely try it out before purchasing.

And I don't use Elements at all; I've got Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

• 6. Re: save Raw in JPEG format
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are talking about saving from inside the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in for PSE, then you want to use Open Image to open the image in the editor and then Save As a JPG from the Editor.   ACR with PSE10 still only saves as DNG.  ACR with Photoshop (not Elements) will save in many formats.  One reason to pay for Photoshop is to have access to the full capabilities of ACR.  LR also has the full set of functions of ACR and is much cheaper than Photoshop, so if you don’t need all of Photoshop’s capabilities, then using LR with PSE can be a reasonable alternative, as is using only LR if you don’t need to do any layering. 

As far as upgrading to PSE10, Elements comes out in the fall every year, so it should be about time for Elements 11.

PSE10 is compatible with LR3 adjustments but only partially compatible with LR4 adjustments and there are some bugs that were never fixed with the last version of Camera Raw that PSE10 can use so the image can look different in LR4 compared to ACR with PSE10.

PSE11 should have an ACR that is fully compatible with LR4 which is the only version of LR you can buy.

So especially if you are thinking of getting LR4 or even if you’re not, the suggestion would be to upgrade your Elements until PSE11 is available.  It also might be wise to not download the trial for LR4 until you can also download the Elements 11 trial so LR doesn’t expire before you have a chance to see how things work with PSE11.