9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 7:51 AM by Peter Spier Branched to a new discussion.

EPS import: Undefined error

Thomas_H_

When importing complex vectors into InDesign CS6 from Illustrator CS6 (not the file (eps, ai etc) just dragging and dropping the vectors themselves (so we can use them as an image frame)) we get this error "EPS import: Undefined error". We have loads of documents with much more complex vectors used as image frames from older versions of Illustrator and InDesign? Also when we use even slightly complex vectors as images frames proformance is really slow and often crashes InDesign. Why would an improved version not work as well as the old version?

PC:

Windows 7 Pro

Intel Xeon E5520 2.27GHz

6 GB RAM

ATI FirePro V8700

All drivers up-to-date, all CS6 updates installed.

• 1. Re: EPS import: Undefined error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you drag and drop from Illustrator that's the equivalent of using copy/paste. Have you tried actually using the copy/paste commands (I know, it's probably slower for you, but it would help to know if that also fails). It would also help to know if you can drag a path from an older file that has worked before.

I've never seen that error, but I would also suggest you check the Clipboard Handling section of the ID prefs and see that Prefer PDF When Pasting is NOT checked. There is a limit, too, on the complexity of the paths that can be  pasted as editable objects -- too many points and they get pasted as  uneditable PDF no matter waht the setting, though this sounds different.

• 2. Re: EPS import: Undefined error
            Thomas_H_ Level 1

Copy/paste gives the same error. Prefer PDF is off. Its interesting that if the object is too complex it should get converted to an uneditable PDF because I would have thought this should happen instead of the error? I have pulled the older (more complex vectors out of old Librarys) but no longer have the older versions of illustrator to try pulling in from them.

• 3. Re: EPS import: Undefined error

As I said, I think it's probably not a complexity issue unless we're talking hundreds of points which seems unlikely for something you are using as a frame.

Is the file saved in AI as native, or as .eps? If it's .eps, try saving as .ai and check again.

My next step would be to trash the ID prefs, with all my fingers and toes crossed. See Replace Your Preferences

• 4. Re: EPS import: Undefined error
                Thomas_H_ Level 1

Well it was a halftone gradient so it may well be complexity. Can you count the number of points in illustrator? Image attached illustpaths.jpg

• 5. Re: EPS import: Undefined error

Why does this need to be editable? Is it a pattern fill, or an effect, or something else?

Could the same result be achieved in ID if you placed the graphic? Dragging from bridge/mini-bridge is the quivalent of File > Place... rather than copy/paste, and mightnot impede you r workflow much.

• 6. Re: EPS import: Undefined error
                    Thomas_H_ Level 1

We were using these halftone radial gradients as images frames, that why place or dragging in an .ai is no good. The thing is this process worked fine in CS4, no problems at all.

Heres an example:

InDesign.jpg

• 7. Re: EPS import: Undefined error

Yeah, I see the dilemma. You didn't answer the questions about how the pattern was created, or changing formats, and that info might help. I'd also try saving as a legacy .ai format, maybe Illustrator 10 or earlier?

• 8. Re: EPS import: Undefined error
                        Thomas_H_ Level 1

The pattern is a compound path, created entirely in Illustrator CS6 - I did try the same thing with a group but when you try to re-make it a compound path in InDesign (using Pathfinder > Combine) it says "Could not complete operation. Pathfinder result describes empty region."? I tried saving as a legacy format but to no avail. I dont understand why CS4 would have no problem and now CS6 cant do it? Could it just be to do with resources, our machines arnt the newest? Both Illustrator and Photoshop CS6 run faster than CS4?

• 9. Re: EPS import: Undefined error

I'm afraid I can't answer the "why" of  working in CS4 and not CS6.

If you want me to try it here on a fairly powerful box, you can send me a link to the file by private message.