4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 6:43 AM by Noel Carboni

Which OS is best for Photoshop CS6?

ReneBuur

Hi all,

first of, this is not intended to be a lengthy debate of preferences of Mac over PC or vice versa. I am an educator looking into what would be the best choice for running Photoshop CS6, and would like unbiased feedback on whether there is a difference - machine specs aside - of running it on either OS.

The only thing I can see speaking in favor of a Mac at the moment, is that Apple offers a system with retina display - but a quite a premium. Would I be better off investing in a high-resolution desktop display and running it from a PC? The system does not have to be mobile, it would be OK if it was a desktop system.

I highly appreciate any feedback,

thanks in advance,

René

• 1. Re: Which OS is best for Photoshop CS6?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

The only thing I can see speaking in favor of a Mac at the moment, is that Apple offers a system with retina display - but a quite a premium.

Not relevant as Photoshop CS6 can not utilize that increased resolution currently.

You can do a Forum search to find out more on this issue.

• 2. Re: Which OS is best for Photoshop CS6?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Mr. Pfaffenbichler said - PS is not high-DPI ready, so "retina" doesn't matter just as it's not the best idea to run the programs on comparable "high density" PC monitors. Other than that you will probably not note any differences in Windows vs. OSX unless you get very deep into some very specific areas like the 3D stuff that may be hampered by the limited choice of graphics adapters on a Mac...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Which OS is best for Photoshop CS6?
              ReneBuur Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

• 4. Re: Which OS is best for Photoshop CS6?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

If you choose a Windows OS, it should be a modern one.  Photoshop CS6 won't do GPU accelerated things under XP.

Subjectively, based on what we're seeing here on the forums, it seems to me that slightly more Mac folks are having a little more trouble with Photoshop CS6 than PC users, but that could just be because right now Mountain Lion has introduced a few quirks, and Apple is still working things out. 

That said, Windows 8 is about to release and that's going to cause a stir and an uproar the likes of which the PC industry hasn't seen yet.  If you go with Windows, even a brand new system should probably be outfitted with Windows 7 for now, until the dust settles.  Everyone is going to hate it at first, then the figuring out of how to actually make it work begins.  I've already written a book on the subject, and it's already selling.

-Noel