4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 4:18 AM by Vamitul

Indesign installing error in Linux

love_all

Hi All,

I tried to install Indesign CS5 in linux OS, but it shows some kind of error like below, so can we install Indesign CS5 in linux?

img01.jpg

And while proceeding further I am getting

img02.jpg

Regards,

love_all

• 1. Re: Indesign installing error in Linux
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Lots more details, please. Are you trying to install directly into Linux or into a Windows virtual machine, or something else?

• 2. Re: Indesign installing error in Linux
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter Spier wrote:

Are you trying to install directly into Linux or into a Windows virtual machine, or something else?

Peter, since when is there an InDesign version for Linux?

... OP, since when is there an InDesign for Linux!? You are definitely not "installing in Linux", you are using some kind of virtual machine.

What did "Contact Customer Support for further assistance", as suggested in that error dialog, report back?

• 3. Re: Indesign installing error in Linux
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

[Jongware] wrote:

Peter, since when is there an InDesign version for Linux?

That's where I was headed. There is no linux version of ID, but there are, apparently, windows-like front ends that can be used in Linux that are not actually a Windows virutual machine. I don't know how far the installer might get in such a situation before quitting becasue of the unsupported OS.

I don't expect a call to customer service would get a lot of help in this situation, either, but I suppose it's worth a shot. My suspicion would be that they would say something like although it should work, we don't officially support installations on virtual machines as the configurations can vary from the real thing.

• 4. Re: Indesign installing error in Linux
                Vamitul Level 4

I'm guessing you are using wine.

First of all, check out http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=755

there are some workarounds, i'we mannaged to get a ... semi-workable.. CS5 on my Ubuntu machine some time ago, but never tried CS5.5. Anyway, even if you manage to get indesign to install under wine, you still are in for a lot of pain. No colormanagement, a ton of problems with fonts, extremly slow, frequent crashes etc.

Linux is a great OS, but it's just not for this.