11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 8:39 AM by Steve Grisetti

Cannot see zoom effect

mark_al

After setting up a zoom on a still image it looks fine when using "play output"  in the pan/zoom tool preview window but when I return to the timeline view and play that clip it doesn't display properly. Instead it shows the initial frame with something looking like the zoom effect going on behind it.

Can I not view the actual zoom effect for a clip after setting it up and returning to the timeline view?  I will be grateful for any insight.

Still image is a .psd 1613 x 1080 in a project that is HD 1080i 1920 x 1080 (so the still image has black bars at both sides--which is the way I want it)

• 1. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's not clear what you mean when you say "something looking like a zoom effect going on behind it."

Can you post the video to YouTube and post a link to it so we can see it?

• 2. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
            mark_al Level 1

No, I cannot post anything to youtube.

I can understand that my verbal description is not clear but the bottom line is that in the timeline view the clip _does not_  display the zoom effect which had just been set in the pan/zoom tool window.

Aditionally, when I return to the pan/zoom window for that clip it displays perfectly.  I would think that it should display exactly as it does in the pan/zoom tool preview window but without the frames.

• 3. Re: Cannot see zoom effect

Why can't you post an example? It would make it all so clear!

Meantime, have you rendered the video (press Enter) so that any red lines above the clips on your timeline turn green?

• 4. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
                mark_al Level 1

Because I don't do youtube or other social engineering websites, sorry.

Yes, the video was rendered.

• 5. Re: Cannot see zoom effect

There are a number of other sites, like Vimeo and Muvipix, where you can post videos.

Otherwise, sorry. I can't help you if I can't see what's going on.

• 6. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
                    vipul vaibhav Adobe Employee

Mark, it would definitely help us if we have screenshot of issue you're seeing because it's difficult to visualize what you're describing.

I think somewhere you have missed a step in the workflow. crosscheck the steps with the steps given in help :

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084-494411db12fd35452dd- 8000.html

• 7. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

As Vipul has suggested, a screen-cap of your Timeline, with one of the Clips, that you are adding the Zoom Effect to, Selected, would be very helpful. This article gives some steps for creating and attaching a screen-cap in the forum: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
                        mark_al Level 1

Thank you to all three of you (Steve, Vipul, Bill) who took the time to answer and make suggestions.

I have uploaded two videos showing : 1) view in effect preview window and 2) view in timeline.

However, I think I may have done something wrong to begin with because when I created a new project and used the same source psd file to do the same kind of zoom effect it displayed perfectly both in the effect preview window and in the timeline.

Accordingly, because I can do what I want to do--get the proper zoom effect--I'm not going mess around with that original clip anymore.

What I did wrong with the original clip, I don't know, but I think that perhaps I was trying to make the orginal clip too short and that messed up the program. The new project clip with zoom that I created was a few seconds long.

• 9. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
                          vipul vaibhav Adobe Employee

The view in timeline does look strange. it looks like you have imported psd twice on timeline and changed aspect ratio or scaled one in the front, so it's actually two psd's in your timeline.

Anyway, the problem is resolved as per your reply right.

• 10. Re: Cannot see zoom effect
                            mark_al Level 1

No, there is only one .psd on the timeline, not two.

What I think is bizarre is that, as one can see, the effect displays correctly in the pan/zoom effect preview window but does not display correctly in the timeline.

The problem is resolved only in that I junked that whole project and started a new one with the same source content. What I didn't mention in earlier posts is that I tried to do an identical zoom effect with a different psd file in that same project and that one had the same problem: correct in preview window, messed up in timeline view. Luckily this problem came right at the very start of working on this project and not when it was nearly done when junking the project would not have been an acceptable option.

• 11. Re: Cannot see zoom effect

It appears that you have not rendered your timeline, as we mentioned earlier. See the red lines above your clips?

The reason your timeline did not render fully is that, apparently, your Work Area Bar is not over your entire timeline. You can manually spread it across your timeline by dragging the silver end bar at the left end of the top of the timeline.

You can also automatically set it to cover your timeline by double-clicking the top edge of the timeline.

This will likely resolve your problem.